Thread: Warwick Capper on SEN

Just wild about Harry

Warwick Capper on SEN

Fascinating interview with Capper on Harf Time today. You can listen to it here: http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Au...er-Part-1/7785

Even though he talks a lot of crap he provides a fascinating insight into his career. Eg. "The Bears players were A@#$holes..." etc. A fun interview split into 4 segments.

i loved that. I notice he says he wanted to stay but the girlfriend wanted to live somewhere quiet. Brisbane is quiet and the Gold Coast was the biggest retirement village in Aus at that stage. He also said loved being back and treasures being a legend of the club. Very funny fella

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    i loved that. I notice he says he wanted to stay but the girlfriend wanted to live somewhere quiet. Brisbane is quiet and the Gold Coast was the biggest retirement village in Aus at that stage. He also said loved being back and treasures being a legend of the club. Very funny fella
    I remember reading an account of someone who interviewed him many years ago. They were fascinated by his child-like attitudes (in a charming way) and obvious cerebral shortcomings, but impressed with his view of himself. Apparently, one day Edelstein told him "you are a marketing tool" and he took it to heart. He has spent the rest of his life with those words echoing in his ears and his success has proven it to be true.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I remember reading an account of someone who interviewed him many years ago. They were fascinated by his child-like attitudes (in a charming way) and obvious cerebral shortcomings, but impressed with his view of himself. Apparently, one day Edelstein told him "you are a marketing tool" and he took it to heart. He has spent the rest of his life with those words echoing in his ears and his success has proven it to be true.
    A marketing tool or a @@@@ing tool? :P

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    A marketing tool or a @@@@ing tool? :P
    I've never met the man, so I'm going purely on impressions, but he doesn't come across as being at all malicious. "Childlike" seems right. But he was certainly a good footballer.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

What a funny man! I thoroughly enjoyed that.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    What a funny man! I thoroughly enjoyed that.
    Yeah great interview,just a big kid.And dont foget he will if paid strip in your garage or on your patio at home but definately not on grass.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I've never met the man, so I'm going purely on impressions, but he doesn't come across as being at all malicious. "Childlike" seems right. But he was certainly a good footballer.
    I've always thought it was a shame that he and others concentrated on "the image" because ,yes, he was a good footballer and a plus for our club.

You don't fluke 100 goals in a season and his ability to take a spectacular mark was breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    You don't fluke 100 goals in a season and his ability to take a spectacular mark was breathtaking.
    Here here.

I always enjoy him, on Celebrity Apprentice etc and find him to be pretty light hearted and happy to make light of himself, but he was a brilliant footballer and that gets lost in all of the media circus around him at times, which is a shame.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Thanks for posting link. Capper sure took a good grab and there is something loveable rogue about him. A memorable part of Swans history.

Has he been recognised in our HOF? (Too lazy to look and I know someone here will let me know).

He should be.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Thanks for posting link. Capper sure took a good grab and there is something loveable rogue about him. A memorable part of Swans history.

Has he been recognised in our HOF? (Too lazy to look and I know someone here will let me know).

He should be.
    See for yourself!

Inductees - SYDNEYSWANS.com.au
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Thanks Di.