Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd8 V Freo

Talking of Reid, I think what is lost in all of this "drop Reid" propoganda machine is the following:

1. Reid contests every contest by NEVER EVER getting outmarked and consequently bringing the ball to ground for the likes of Macca, Jude, Benny, Kizza, et al to crumb goals. Have a look at the tapes of our games guys?
    2. Reid has just turned 21. Pies fans were whinging just as hard about Cloke at the same age. GIVE HIM TIME FFS! He will peak at 25-28.
    3. There is no legitimate alternative to Reid. Tell me Walsh, Morton, White or any other like player in the Magoos will do much better than the role Reid is fulfilling. Spare me the bull@@@@@@. Spare me....They are in the Ressies for a reason. Good to great players knock the door down demanding selection. They don't wait for an injury or two (ie. White for Mummy).
    4. IMO, Reid's main problem is snatching at marks and being pushed further up the ground. This results in not many goals for the big fella, which is what the knockers on this site are craving! There's only one Tony Lockett....

In conclusion, Reid is playing the role he should be playing for the Swans, except for two problems. One - he is snatching at his grabs. Two - Tippett is not in the side as yet and Goodes will never be a true key position player.

Reid is going OK at the moment, he just needs to get some confidence back with his marking. Being sent to the Ressies playing against cardbaord cut-outs in that @@@@@@ comp will not fix his marking. Reid needs to work through the issue - which I have full confidence he will - by playing on the better defenders in the AFL.

Adios....

Blog Entries
    Just on the Reid comparisons to Cloke and Franklin as at the same time in their career, Reid is somewhat behind in stats, but Franklin and Cloke did not come into the team as THE key forward.
    Franklin has had Roughead as a back up for most of his career, and also started in a side with some key forwards.
    Cloke also came into a team with some key forwards who took a bit of pressure of him.

Reid has been our ONLY key forward for most of his career, with very little but occasional support from resting ruckman, or Goodes.

Tippett is the key to release the pressure on Reid!!

I agree that Tippet will be a great help to Reid, but in saying that Reid should be better than he is at this stage of his career.

We are supposed to have the best Reid, but so far the other Reid has already racked up All-Australian honors. When is our Reid going to become the better Reid ?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I just hope he doesn't do a hammy, the last thing we need is for him to become a broken reed.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I just hope he doesn't do a hammy, the last thing we need is for him to become a broken reed.
    I wouldn't reid too much into that.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I think we need to reid between the lines here.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Changes for Rnd8 V Freo

And thus the thread descends into a pun competition.... Seriously though I agree, pull up on the drop Reid talk. No legitimate option to replace him, no legitimate tall support for him. Nobody tries harder. Our problem lies in our superb ability to win the contested ball, and the clearances ( ranked no 1 in both in the league!), but then butcher it savagely! Kicking long and high to nobody, or straight into opposition arms! Games this year are won by who is better on the counter attack and at the moment we are making it far too easy for the opposition by making poor decisions or just plain @@@@ disposal! It's pretty simple. Hit targets, kick to advantage, give our forwards a chance ! Stop serving up the footy on a platter to opposition playmakers! Dropping Reid would be the stupidest decision possible, which is why I would be gobsmacked if Horse even considered it.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

agree

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    And thus the thread descends into a pun competition.... Seriously though I agree, pull up on the drop Reid talk. No legitimate option to replace him, no legitimate tall support for him. Nobody tries harder. Our problem lies in our superb ability to win the contested ball, and the clearances ( ranked no 1 in both in the league!), but then butcher it savagely! Kicking long and high to nobody, or straight into opposition arms! Games this year are won by who is better on the counter attack and at the moment we are making it far too easy for the opposition by making poor decisions or just plain @@@@ disposal! It's pretty simple. Hit targets, kick to advantage, give our forwards a chance ! Stop serving up the footy on a platter to opposition playmakers! Dropping Reid would be the stupidest decision possible, which is why I would be gobsmacked if Horse even considered it.
    Agree 100%. rarely gets outmarked and his defensive game is quiet good as I have seen some hard running from him and good tackles. When Tippett comes in a gets the best backman, then we may see the best of Reid. I think its a confidence issue. It looks like Shaw is out for a couple more weeks and Mumford also looks unlikely. I hope it does not mean Jess White gets another go??? Maybe with Fremantle's lack of recognized Ruckman, maybe give Walsh a try???

I'll have a go:
    I'd like to see Goodes left on the ball.
    Move Rok to hf.
    Let Walsh do the grunt work.
    Reid to play on Freos 3rd tall, or on the wing if they don't play a 3rd tall.
    Give Lamb a full game.
    Drop Armstrong, he won't handle Freos pressure.

FB : Smith Grundy Mattner
    HB : Malceski Richards Reid
    C : Jetta Jack Hannebry
    HF : Rok Walsh McVeigh
    FF : McGlynn White Morton
    Fol : Pyke Kennedy Goodes
    INT : Parker Bolton Lamb
    Sub : Bird
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Agree 100%. rarely gets outmarked and his defensive game is quiet good as I have seen some hard running from him and good tackles. When Tippett comes in a gets the best backman, then we may see the best of Reid. I think its a confidence issue. It looks like Shaw is out for a couple more weeks and Mumford also looks unlikely. I hope it does not mean Jess White gets another go??? Maybe with Fremantle's lack of recognized Ruckman, maybe give Walsh a try???
    I'm also in the Reid camp on this one. He is working really hard on every aspect of his game this year. I also don't think goal kicking is our problem. Consider these stats ...

For all of 2012 home and away season:

Points for = 2290 ... Average of 104 per game
    Points against = 1629 ... Average of 74 per game

After 7 rounds this season:

Points for = 730 ... Average of 104 per game
    Points against = 602 ... Average of 86 per game

So I conclude our problem is defence, not attack. Hardly surprising since we are down AJ, LRT and Shaw.

No need to drop Reid. I expect our mids will come out breathing fire this week after smarting over last week's performance and our goal kicking will get back on track.

Defence wins premierships. AJ is the crucial gap, so I support ideas to bring in players that might have potential to plug this gap until LRT is fit. When Shaw gets back he replaces Armstrong. Rampe stays for mine, very mature for only a handful of games.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Honestly. Honestly.

We have beaten gcs, gws, st kilda, north and Brisbane. Those sides have collectively won 10 from 35 matches. Gcs have beaten gws and st kilda. I don't think any of those sides have beaten a top eight team.

Those stats are simply irrelevant. The ladder has three distinct groups, the good the indifferent and the bad. We are 0-2 against the good and have had three wins against the bad and struggled mightily but prevailed ultimately against the two indifferent.

I am not in the pessimistic school here but don't quote stats of boys against men games and treat them the same - we are just going at the moment and I hope we have more in the locker because the season could be in real jeopardy unless we get some results in the next three weeks.

Senior Player
    I do not think a change or two here or there makes much difference v Fremantle . They play some beautiful football . They have become tougher under Lyon - but they sure needed to do so. Regardless , I still think they are a side which is more vulnerable than most when the opposition turns up the heat : even when they have got a good lead v us , I've always been quite confident we can catch them , due to our superiority in physical and mental toughness. I wouldn't even give a toss if Lyon realises this - knowing it , is not the same as being able to deal with it . But opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one , so we will have to wait to see if I'm right . I reckon by the final siren on Saturday, though , it's going to be a case of "Freeeee-o , time to go ! You are the Fremantle Shockers !" as they limp off , on the wrong end of a tackle count massively in our favour.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast