Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Changes round 10 v Bombers

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    For no particular reason I'm thinking it would be nice if they gave Jesse a chance again.
    I think it'd be nice, I get that he's moved to being a ruckman and all that but in his one game this year I thought he went well. In the limited time he spent in the forward line he straightened us up and took a mark on a lead twice around the 50m/in front spot that we'd love to see a big guy taking a couple of marks. He kicked 1.1 from it, the one he missed you'd expect him to make more often than not. I'd be groovy with Tommy, too- I thought he was fine in his game, really.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Courtesy of AFL (live blog)

In: T. Mitchell T. Walsh
    Out S. Reid (Quad) J. Lamb

Regular in the Side
    Mitchell, Walsh in.
    Reid, Lamb out.

Regular in the Side
    so sorry for Lamb, doesnt get a real chance. Not sure about Irish to replace Reid would have preferred Jessie. I dont think Toomy W will make it.
    Jesse gets one or two games and then its out.

Entirely predictable. I think jed hasn't been treated real well - is it three games for three quarters ?

Sadly if Mitchell starts on the bench it will be the same thing and the habitual approach of the swans to play the new player off the bench is a little disappointing. And of course if Mitchell doesn't start on the bench it is even more on one view unfair.

Walsh meh. I hope he does well. My expectations are simple - present and if you aren't in position spoil.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    Sadly if Mitchell starts on the bench it will be the same thing and the habitual approach of the swans to play the new player off the bench is a little disappointing. And of course if Mitchell doesn't start on the bench it is even more on one view unfair.
    I don't follow what you're saying here. It's disappointing if he starts as the sub (I'm assuming that's what you mean by bench) but if he doesn't its unfair? Sounds like a no-win situation for the coaches

There's no room for Jed right now. But he's had a taste, and if Bolton or McGlynn get injured he'd get the call. Mitchell is in a similar situation.

It's not a problem. Most teams would kill to have players like that on the fringe.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Of course I think it is unfair but the coaches have created this situation - I am sick of having the new players start on the bench and go out of the team again and it is unfair on the new player to sit on the pine and be asked to make a mark in twenty minutes. But if Mitchell is treated differently then it says something.

You don't rack up the number of possessions Mitchell has without being a pretty good endurance athlete, which was part of his reputation as a junior. I don't think Lamb is in the same category. I still think Mitchell will start as the sub, but if he did start, could conceivably run out the game well if he's built on the fitness level he came in with.

This has to be a career defining game for Tommy Walsh. If he impresses, he will get another go in Adelaide. If not, White will almost certainly take his place. After the bye, it will be difficult for either to get a gig. If Tommy doesn't do much this week, the conclusion will have to be that regardless of NEAFL form, he is just not up to senior level, and probably never will.

I think it's ok if those coming through from NEAFL to AFL get the green vest. Remember how Lukey had the green vest for most of the finals? He had to fight his way into the midfield, and that's ok. That means we have a very strong team to break into. Jed Lamb *will* break through eventually or do a Cambo and end up at another club at the end of the season (obviously would prefer for him to stay). I'm not really sure who else other than Jed would have gotten the vest again today. I'd still rate Bird above Lamb at this stage.

Let's just see how the rest of the season pans out before we start dismantling the system that has served pretty well thus far.

Anyways what's the story with Mattner and Shaw? I wonder who'll come out for those two.

On the Rookie List
    I would honestly like a couple of RWO opinions regarding the selection of Tommy Walsh over Jesse White. I'd like to know why people think that the coaches prefer Walsh over White. I don't really want to get into a personal Wlash v White thing, but I would like someone to explain to me what they think the selection panel's reasoning is, that's all.

As a footnote, I remember when BBBH left and White stepped in, and he really played like a forward with potential, and a great kick. I know he hasn't yet lived up to that, etc etc etc. When I see Tommy play, I get nervous every time he goes near the ball, especially when he kicks it. And do we often lose when Tommy plays? Or is that my imagination?

So yeah - what would be the professional reasons for which Tommy edges out White? I would just like to hear someone's opion, because many here recognise the coaches preference of Walsh over White, and regardless of our own personal opions, why do the coaches lean this way tactically?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast