Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Swans v Blues Game Day Thread

Quote Originally Posted by alt_mattr View Post

So I would say White did just fine.

The thing is, I just don't like bagging any of the players, they are all great players. Some are greater than others, but really, they are all elite.
    I have made comments about Jesse white before and do not wish to labour the point because I'm sure he thinks he is doing his best. My complaint is that I know he could be doing more and better.

I was at the game and using binoculars so I was able to study the ruck contests closely. The difference between Pyke, Tippett and white is not when they are contesting the ruck but what happens immediately after the ball hits the deck.

Jesse competes fiercely in the ruck contest but when he is not in the contest he looks lost. He stands still and waits for things to happen. My other concern is his positioning and chasing. For example, although the ball was dropping short all night he continued to play from behind Henderson preferring to come over the top rather than play in front.

His chasing was solid in the first half but dropped off dramatically after half time. On one occasion he allowed Henderson to run free of him after a chase out to the wing on the bill o'reily stand side henderson linked up with lucas i think and while jesse ducked out the back he continued forward to have a shot for goal, fortunately he missed but on the return kick out he was still back on the wing owhere he had stopped and then when he had to lead up for the link play from the kick out he was too far away to contest the heavy ball which Henderson again intercepted and delivered back into their attacking zone.

This was an error and for the most part he played honestly with real intent but it is an incident that I believe is indicative of a player more concerned with the next attack rather than defending the situation as it exists.

Without any agenda whatsoever I did not think he played well last night. He contested well up to half time but was soundly beaten in all but two contests that I can recall. Jesse might have an opportunity over the next few weeks to watch how Tippett plays the role of a power forward and hopefully that will inspire him to be both more involved and more willing to be involved. I live in hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    stella

Horse said Whitey had the flu all week and wasnt likely to play

horse said he cramped in the 3rd qtr
    This may explain my earlier concerns about his chasing but if this were the case why did Longmire delay activating the sub till the middle of the last quarter when Henderson was having such an influence?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Wolfie you should have tried sitting in the O'Reilly concourse. You might have gotten a bit more than wet But rarely have I enjoyed sitting in the rain watching a game of footy more - the boys made it more than worth it.....
    Try sitting in the concourse!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    I just want to say how fantastic it was to see so many empty seats at the SCG when I couldn't even purchase one ticket a couple of weeks before.
    That's why they have memberships. So you don't end up missing out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post

Jesse competes fiercely in the ruck contest but when he is not in the contest he looks lost. He stands still and waits for things to happen.
    This was very evident on Friday night especially when you compared him to Tippett who went in after the ball whenever he was near it.

Friday night was very exciting considering the young players we had playing and the specific seniors we had out. Brandon, I think will be as good if not better than his brother. Mitchell looked like he has been playing for years. Rampe has taken the role of AJ.

It seems that Jesse was sick on Friday so we have to give him some benefit. Xavier came in and filled the role well even though he is being groomed to replace his brother in defence.

So if we have Jesse, Kurt and Xavier all playing in the forward line, would that make it a White-Tipp-X combo. Certainly good chance to rub out the defence.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Wolfie you should have tried sitting in the O'Reilly concourse. You might have gotten a bit more than wet But rarely have I enjoyed sitting in the rain watching a game of footy more - the boys made it more than worth it.....
    The great advantage of being a Red Zone member - lovely sunny days, sit in the open and bathe in the sunlight, nights like friday night, move back a few rows and be comfortably protected from the elements.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    That's why they have memberships. So you don't end up missing out.

- - - Updated - - -

This was very evident on Friday night especially when you compared him to Tippett who went in after the ball whenever he was near it.

Friday night was very exciting considering the young players we had playing and the specific seniors we had out. Brandon, I think will be as good if not better than his brother. Mitchell looked like he has been playing for years. Rampe has taken the role of AJ.

It seems that Jesse was sick on Friday so we have to give him some benefit. Xavier came in and filled the role well even though he is being groomed to replace his brother in defence.

So if we have Jesse, Kurt and Xavier all playing in the forward line, would that make it a White-Tipp-X combo. Certainly good chance to rub out the defence.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    It's been two days and still no 'Changes Rd 15 v Dees' thread? These usually pop up two hours after our game.

Veterans List
    What a gutsy win! Tremendous stuff, our leaders were fabulous, our newbies were strong and young Mr Tippett was just immense. Made an interesting comparison with the respective performances of Freo & the Pies who have similar injury lists and newbies.

Our boys looked shattered afterwards - would be nice to be able to "rest" a few, but I guess that depends on who comes back.

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    What a gutsy win! Tremendous stuff, our leaders were fabulous, our newbies were
    strong and young Mr Tippett was just immense. Made an interesting comparison with the respective performances of Freo & the Pies who have similar injury lists and newbies.

Our boys looked shattered afterwards - would be nice to be able to "rest" a few, but I guess that depends on who comes back.
    8 day break, we'll be right.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by swans_premiers View Post
    8 day break, we'll be right.
    Nice result. Figure they'll go pretty easy on the training track this week.

Did Melbourne's win lift them or will they drop off now they've finally had a win? Either way they already look to have a lot more mongrel about them under Neil Craig.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Was that the latest sub anyone has made since the rule came in? From memory it was at the 20min mark of the 4th and after we'd responded with a few goals - understandable timing for a player not 100% prepared for the game, but hardly a run at all for the X man.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast