Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LRT in 2005 GF

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The Viking warrior will return to lay waste the opposition.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Absolutely agree about Buchanan: solid for three quarters + brilliant final quarter.
    I agree too. In fact, Amon had a magnificent 2005. Watch the 2005 highlights DVD and see how great he was throughout the whole year. Unfortunately, never regained that season's form but he'll always be remembered and loved for THAT goal!

LRT was great in the GF too, though. He was supposed to be the weak link that the Eagles would be able to exploit but he proved them wrong!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Funny, I thought Buchanan was robbed. One thing we can all agree on, Judd winning it was a @@@@ing joke.

The big thing about LRT in that GF was most of us had our hearts in our mouths whenever he went near it. The fact that he performed above and beyond probably fooled us into thinking he played better then he did. He was mighty for sure, but not near the other 2 (Monty and Fossie) for Norm Smith honours, imho.
    I've always thought that Nic was slightly ahead of Amon; his outside run was at its best and I recall his use of the ball as excellent (I can't find DE% for the game, but can see he had 26 disposals and 0 Clangers... what that's worth I don't know because Judd's disposal was woeful but he only is credited with the 3), but something that I think gets forgotten is Nic actually grabbed the most clearances for us (7) and was equal for most tackles (7, with Kirk) in the game as well. I should add, I'm not channeling the great NMWBloods- I had to look those stats up, they're here for anyone that wants to relive the numbers.

I don't think Judd was as laughably bad as we all recall (he won 11 clearances, that's a hell of a workload in any game) but obviously should not have won the Norm Smith; he wasn't even the best player on his side, I always remembered Cox as being the standout Eagle. Ignoring the memory of how he played and just looking at those stats now he had a HELL of a game for a Grand Final; 19 disposals, 29 hitouts, 4 clearances and kicked 2.2 in 78% of game time. Wowee! Has any ruckman put up those sort of numbers in a Grand Final since then?

Edit: didn't have to look too far, some guy named Dean Cox had 20 disposals, 34 hitouts the next year!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I thought Judd was the Eagles' best and we were more even. Buchanan would've been my choice. LRT was quiet in the second half.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

The day after Garry Lyon was hosting the channel nine show on the grand final and he noted that something like 80 per cent of our scores came when cox was off the ground and seaby was rucking.

Lrt was accorded so highly because he was expected to be the weak link. It is sometimes difficult to remember just how awkward and clumsy he was back then.

Fosdike was clearly our best four quarter player

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I miss LRT. Do you reckon he has played his last game?
    Did you see the post-game press conference this weekend ?

LRT said at half time that he would be back for the Hawks game, and the journos relayed this to Horse post-game. Pretty funny look on Longmire's face. I think he'll be back, but not quite as quick as he (or me) would like.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

As I recall, LRT was matched up against Gardiner, and the combination of the Eagle's tall forward line was expected to be too strong for us. Gardiner was returning from injury, but was a former No 1 draft pick (I think).

Thus LRT dominating the defensive effort in the first half completely changed the expected game plan, and gave us all the momentum.

I still remember the game with tears in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    The Viking warrior will return to lay waste the opposition.
    He only has a Thor knee.....

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    As I recall, LRT was matched up against Gardiner, and the combination of the Eagle's tall forward line was expected to be too strong for us. Gardiner was returning from injury, but was a former No 1 draft pick (I think).

Thus LRT dominating the defensive effort in the first half completely changed the expected game plan, and gave us all the momentum.

I still remember the game with tears in my eyes.
    I think Leo wiped out Gardiner and LRT moved around more. And yes, a hugely emotional game.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Warming the Bench
    I have always thought Amon deserved the Medal - was the man for all the big moments. Now i may be slightly biased as i had $20 on him @ $71.

Judd was inspirational anyone who thinks he wasn't one of the best 3 players on the ground is delusional.

Fosdike
    Amon
    Judd
    Cox

any deserved to win

On Judd, he seriously had 6 or 7 kicks which just dribbled along the ground. How any stats could suggest he only had 3 clangers is fanciful. That was the whole premise of my Norm Smith outrage. It was clear the judges had just looked at the stats and with the medias love affair with all things Judd at the time deduced he was BOG.

I guess the fact that I believe the judges have to give their votes before the end of the game doesn't help. In a close game that is just ridiculous. If WCE had won that game, I'd have had no issue with Judd's NS as when it's all said and done, he would have been instrumental in winning the flag.

In a strange twist, if the same criteria was used in '06, maybe Kirky should have won the NS. He was absolutely mighty and along with Teddy was about the only players who could hold their heads high at the end of the game. A game decided by a single point!!! Embley was one of the best in a pretty even team performance for them, but hardly a stand out.

Disclaimer: All comments on the '06 GF are formed from a singular live viewing and without the benefit of a replay...and there is not likely to be a second viewing in the forseeable future...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    He only has a Thor knee.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast