Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for the Semi Final V Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Seriously!?!
    Posts like this make me wonder whether you have ever watched our games.

We won't see his full benefit until Reid and/or Goodes is with him in the forward 50.
    Glad someone else said it.

The midfield is getting beaten most weeks. That's our problem.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    actually I DO watch the game and I am not liking what I am seeing! The amount of pressure that Hodge and Mitchell had coming out of our backline was almost zero. I known people will think its crazy to drop KT, but he does not seem to fit into our style of playing. You want more talls up forward??? They say we have too many already.
    Bolton & McGlynn were unable to get the ball when it went to ground not sure that was Tippetts fault - they were both very poor - not the effort - they missed chasing tackles and were always chasing - Hawthorn's skill was better than ours - You can see that Pyke and White have no footy smarts - don't underestimate the impact of Lake on Tippett - Lake is a good player and would have carved up either Pyke or White if Tippett does not play - Reid and Goodes are smart players and that will make a huge difference next year unfortunately

With the number of injuries we have had it is incredible we made top 4. Some top players including Hanners were clearly impaired last night. Some others just did not get a look in.

I don't thinking making changes is going to serve us well at all, except where players are clearly unfit, I.e. Hanners. Biggs run from the week before would have been great, however injuries have crueller us.

It would be good to see some guys who are likely to be part of our next pship get some finals experience, Bj lamb. Wholesale changes aren't going to help

I don't think our midfield is getting killed at all. We are winning the footy we simply do not have any outside run and carry. We need Rohan, Hanners, jets to be fit again to get that. In the mean time, get them finals experience.

Horse has a really tough post season. If he can close some gaps, I.e. get Towers to come up to standard as more outside run, he has the makings of a premiership side. We could also end up finishing 6th for four years.

Changed my mind after last night we should try and hold onto Jesse and Mummy

OUT: Mumford (Team Balance), Bolton, Rohan, Jetta, Mitchell
    IN: Lamb, Biggs, Cunningham, Armstrong, BJ (Sub)

I was not convinced until last night about being top heavy. Now I agree with those who have said we are. It's a toss-up between leaving out Mummy or Pyke, but I think Pyke offers a bit more due to his strong contested marking. Mummy had little impact on the game last night and was the right one to be subbed out. He was great last week, but yesterday had only 3 handballs, one mark and one tackle in nearly 3 quarters of play. That's not having an impact IMO. It won't happen, since it will signal the end for Mummy at the Swans, so if team balance is an issue, it will probably be White that goes out, which would be a big mistake.

Bolton, Rohan and Jetta are just not having an impact on the game. Better to have fit players even if less accomplished.

Mitchell has been slowing down over the course of the season. A good hard player, but I prefer bringing in someone with better kicking skills. We need the outside run.

It takes a lot to go right to win a premiership, We have to accept that it just hasn't happened this year. Still, many things went right this year and we played scintillating footy at times. I'm not giving up hope, and think we probably will win next week, but I don't believe in miracles. I can't see how we can first beat etiher Freo or the Cats, and then Hawthorn.

To be honest I think we need to drop Tippett and realize that recruiting him was a mistake. Ever since he has come into the side at the half way mark our form has been ordinary, I cannot recall any great performances. Not like the Collingwood, Adelaide and Essendon performance prior to KT. I am not sure if other players are upset about his big money or they are just bombing forward to him all the time without any thoughts processess? I thought our efforts last week was our best for some time and there was no KT. Maybe we could trade him to Melbourne for pick 2 next season?
    Wow - just wow. Did you say the same things about Barry Hall and Tony Lockett??

It's not KT's fault our midfield got smashed and we couldn't get any clean possession, or that we kicked shallow and poorly into the forward line, or that we were just generally crap. Of course he had a poor game, but to rate him a complete failure is utter nonsense talk.

If he had of been in the team that played against Collingwood, Adelaide or Essendon, he would of benifted greatly from a midfield well on top, running hard and providing pinpoint delivery into the forward line. I'd argue he would of kicked a bagful in one of those games at least. The guy is a classy footballer, but he is not going to do anything if we don't get good delivery into him. Stick him on the other side last night, and he would of kicked 6 or 7 with their precise delivery and quality ball going forward, especially in the second half. Unless our midfield manages to dominate, then they are just going to bomb it forward because they are under pressure - that is not Tippett's fault.

Sometimes you really have to wonder if people are solely looking for a fall boy and because he was last in, it must be his fault.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    OUT: Mumford (Team Balance), Bolton, Rohan, Jetta, Mitchell
    IN: Lamb, Biggs, Cunningham, Armstrong, BJ (Sub)

I was not convinced until last night about being top heavy. Now I agree with those who have said we are. It's a toss-up between leaving out Mummy or Pyke, but I think Pyke offers a bit more due to his strong contested marking. Mummy had little impact on the game last night and was the right one to be subbed out. He was great last week, but yesterday had only 3 handballs, one mark and one tackle in nearly 3 quarters of play. That's not having an impact IMO. It won't happen, since it will signal the end for Mummy at the Swans, so if team balance is an issue, it will probably be White that goes out, which would be a big mistake.

Bolton, Rohan and Jetta are just not having an impact on the game. Better to have fit players even if less accomplished.

Mitchell has been slowing down over the course of the season. A good hard player, but I prefer bringing in someone with better kicking skills. We need the outside run.

It takes a lot to go right to win a premiership, We have to accept that it just hasn't happened this year. Still, many things went right this year and we played scintillating footy at times. I'm not giving up hope, and think we probably will win next week, but I don't believe in miracles. I can't see how we can first beat etiher Freo or the Cats, and then Hawthorn.
    What I think we need to remember with Mitchell is that he missed almost all of last season, and then only played a few reserves games this year before coming in, so it really is like his first true full season at the club. I'm not at all surprised he is slowing down as the season goes on. The main thing is that he has stayed fit, and fingers crossed will be right to go at first day of pre-season. Watch him kick on next year and become a superstar midfielder for us after a good pre-season. The guy has all the talent in the world and will become a lynchpin in our midfield.

I agree we need outside run, but bringing Cunningham and BJ in is not going to fix the issues last night. Neither had a noticeable impact last week, and neither are ready imo for the pressure of a do-or-die elimination final. And I'm far from convinced about Armstrong being nothing but a fringe player - he has never impressed me when playing in the seniors.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I agree we need outside run, but bringing Cunningham and BJ in is not going to fix the issues last night. Neither had a noticeable impact last week, and neither are ready imo for the pressure of a do-or-die elimination final. And I'm far from convinced about Armstrong being nothing but a fringe player - he has never impressed me when playing in the seniors.
    I know it's rolling the dice, but I think we are in that sort of a spot where we need to do something different. We clearly cannot win with the current formula. At least some of those younger players were part of the squad that took it up to Hawthorn last week. I know it's just dropping the worst of the under-performers and playing the best available from the reserves. But I think it's a better option than playing an unfit Goodes, Rohan and Jetta.

On the Rookie List
    In: Lamb, Armstrong
    Out: Everitt, Jetta

To be honest I think we need to drop Tippett and realize that recruiting him was a mistake. Ever since he has come into the side at the half way mark our form has been ordinary, I cannot recall any great performances. Not like the Collingwood, Adelaide and Essendon performance prior to KT. I am not sure if other players are upset about his big money or they are just bombing forward to him all the time without any thoughts processess? I thought our efforts last week was our best for some time and there was no KT. Maybe we could trade him to Melbourne for pick 2 next season?
    That's a very lazy analysis of the game.

The midfield is the problem. If they don't deliver then you could have Lockett, Hall and even Pratt in the forward line and you wouldn't kick a winning score.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

On the veteran's list
    And some people call themselves supporters!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

I would drop Rohan, Hannas & Jetts back to the Twos to get some form and bring in Biggs, Morton & Lamb.
    Get some form for what? If you do as you suggest, there'll be no next week to get form for!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I agree MCS with your comments about Mitchell and think that Rampe too must be physically at least feeling the strain of a long season.

Based on last week's efforts it would be great to see Biggs get another go. He obviously tired as the game progressed and made mistakes in the last quarter because of it, but his pressure and composure was impressive. Right now he would probably have more upside than Jets. I would consider Lamb too if thinking of the future, and maybe Morton. Jude at least may have to go out. Do NOT play Rohan, Jetta and Goodesy together in the team next week - please!!!!! As well as Hanners and Smithy struggling and Mal and Everitt lacking in effective defensive skills in the backline etc, etc, it may not be pretty. It may not be pretty with alternatives in but as has been said, at least they would gain invaluable experience for next year.

I feel sorry for Rohan. The expectation placed on him to come back in and perform in finals type footy is unfair. He hadn't had a lot of experience before he was injured. He must be really disappointed that he just isn't able to contribute more. Jets also may struggle to do what everyone is expecting of him.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I agree MCS with your comments about Mitchell and think that Rampe too must be physically at least feeling the strain of a long season.

Based on last week's efforts it would be great to see Biggs get another go. He obviously tired as the game progressed and made mistakes in the last quarter because of it, but his pressure and composure was impressive. Right now he would probably have more upside than Jets. I would consider Lamb too if thinking of the future, and maybe Morton. Jude at least may have to go out. Do NOT play Rohan, Jetta and Goodesy together in the team next week - please!!!!! As well as Hanners and Smithy struggling and Mal and Everitt lacking in effective defensive skills in the backline etc, etc, it may not be pretty. It may not be pretty with alternatives in but as has been said, at least they would gain invaluable experience for next year.

I feel sorry for Rohan. The expectation placed on him to come back in and perform in finals type footy is unfair. He hadn't had a lot of experience before he was injured. He must be really disappointed that he just isn't able to contribute more. Jets also may struggle to do what everyone is expecting of him.
    I just hope those at the club sit down Rohan, congratulate him on getting back this year, and then sit down and plan his pre-season. If they get it right, he will be superb for us next season. It's all about confidence at the moment, and you can see he is lacking it. But get a full, regular pre-season under his belt, so that he is confident in his body and watch him fly next season!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Unfortunately, I doubt they'll make many changes...just forced ones.

No doubt Goodes will come in...probably as sub.

Which will leave us with unfit...Goodes, Hannas, Jetts, Gaz...and a very sore/ unfit McVeigh....Hope I'm wrong, and they bring in some fit, fresh players...

As far as I'm concerned a fit fresh first gamer is better than a labouring unfit veteran.

It seems no matter how much coaches talk about only playing fit players, they almost always go for unfit seasoned players, over fit unseasoned players.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast