Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: more flexible line up .... Longmire wants it to cope with interchange limit

Draft Scout

more flexible line up .... Longmire wants it to cope with interchange limit

Franklin mitchell rohan kennedy jack x2 mcglnn parker fwd/mid
    Tippett Pyke ruck/forward
    Mcveigh backline/mid
    Reid lrt back/fwd

To me I can't see enough flexibility in the defence. We need more mid/def and fwd/def.

Perhaps that is where rampe, lamb, smith need to develop our "flexibility"

Quote Originally Posted by Ajn View Post
    Franklin mitchell rohan kennedy jack x2 mcglnn parker fwd/mid
    Tippett Pyke ruck/forward
    Mcveigh backline/mid
    Reid lrt back/fwd

To me I can't see enough flexibility in the defence. We need more mid/def and fwd/def.

Perhaps that is where rampe, lamb, smith need to develop our "flexibility"
    Smooch kicked a goal this year (as did Teddy) and Rampe's played forward in the past.

Veteran Site Admin
    Our defenders very rarely get any rest, especially the talls. Check out the time on ground for Reg and Ted over the last couple of years and you'll see it's very high 90s%. Many games the pair of them each play 100%.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Our defenders very rarely get any rest, especially the talls. Check out the time on ground for Reg and Ted over the last couple of years and you'll see it's very high 90s%. Many games the pair of them each play 100%.
    ...and check the kms covered per game per player. I'm more interested in those guys getting rested during a game or year...and they tend to be the guys running thru the midfield. Interesting comment by Horse which probably tells us the type of player they will target...players with a tank.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    ..... interesting comment by Horse which probably tells us the type of player they will target...players with a tank.
    The interchange limit has suddenly put a premium on draftees with endurance. The Beep Test and 3km run at the Draft Combine will never have been so closely analysed by recruiters. The draftees will have jumped or dropped in the order after the Combine by more than they have in previous years I would imagine.

I think we already have a good stock of endurance players that should serve us well going forwards and if my memory is correct we've just added another in the last few days :-)

Draft Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    Smooch kicked a goal this year (as did Teddy) and Rampe's played forward in the past.
    goals are a result of the press, we need more flexibility through the def to keep players fresh and give them a chop out.

Would love to see rampe and smith through the midfield and another mid playing a "hodge" like role def/mid. I actually think lamb is the ideal prototype of this relieving defender, with good foot skills

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just on the subject of interchange limits overall, I'd be interested to see how clubs are planning on approaching the problem and how that has factored into their pre-season planning; are they planning on frequent rotations through onfield positions, or less frequent rotations of (so longer stretches in) onfield positions? Will they opt for significantly longer rests on the bench when guys do come off (logically that will occur, but are they going to try to work to specifically targeting lengths for particular players/positions?)? I recall Phil Jackson being noted for maximizing rest time to his players around breaks in play- so take a star off with 2 minutes to go leading into 3/4 time, then bring them on 2 minutes after.

Rotating people through the backline is an option, but I'm not sure how likely it really is for actual defensive posts- I could certainly see it for a running/rebounding defender, but even then I'm not sure that they don't put a lot of work into their legs already in that role. Hodge as a sweeping defender is probably a good model.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Senior Player
    Fun fact for the day, I saw the guy this year ran 9.32mins (2secs off best) for 3km. So I looked up the world record 7:20 by a kenyan.

It means nothing as the footy player isn't as developed or trained specifically for it, but damn that a massive drop! Now to see the Kenyan do the kicking drills.

or grow 0.4m and put on 20 kg ... but so close

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    or grow 0.4m and put on 20 kg ... but so close
    close, 18kg's and 12cm. That guy was running around at 50kg's! He'd blow away!

What a year 2005 SSFC/CFC
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Just on the subject of interchange limits overall, I'd be interested to see how clubs are planning on approaching the problem and how that has factored into their pre-season planning; are they planning on frequent rotations through onfield positions, or less frequent rotations of (so longer stretches in) onfield positions? Will they opt for significantly longer rests on the bench when guys do come off (logically that will occur, but are they going to try to work to specifically targeting lengths for particular players/positions?)? I recall Phil Jackson being noted for maximizing rest time to his players around breaks in play- so take a star off with 2 minutes to go leading into 3/4 time, then bring them on 2 minutes after.

Rotating people through the backline is an option, but I'm not sure how likely it really is for actual defensive posts- I could certainly see it for a running/rebounding defender, but even then I'm not sure that they don't put a lot of work into their legs already in that role. Hodge as a sweeping defender is probably a good model.
    Talls will almost certainly be expected to stay on the ground longer at both ends just like Grundy and Richards do, teams will stack the midfield even more and the limited rotations will obviously be concentrated there. You could possibly see more part time ruckmen rucking in the forwards and the backs and the main ruck perhaps working mainly between the 50s.
    Sports do not build character. They reveal it....Heywood Broun

I always turn to the sports pages first, which record people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures......Earl Warren

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post

Who's Phil Jackson? What AFL Club did he coach? Never heard of him. If he has nothing to do with AFL then he is invalid. Basketball is a far different sport and is only played over a short period on a very small court. The tactics used in basketball, a non-contact sport are very different to those in AFL. I played both and the difference is palpable. For a start you don't have to worry about tackles, bumps, climbing players, kicking, handballing, goals & points and more than two umpires. some basic screens and cross court and fast breaks can be adapted but generally the tactics used are for a small area and we play on a large arena where those tactics can easily @@@@ up.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast