Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans 2013 Draft Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by robamiee View Post
    what about is it magnurs from the demons, seems to be a prolific ball winner...and maybe just having another mature strong body midfielder to back up JPK and OKeefe might be ideal...
    KP defenders is my concern and also a small lightning quick forward...
    I reckon if Roosy is dumping him there's gotta be a good reason.

what about is it magnurs from the demons, seems to be a prolific ball winner...and maybe just having another mature strong body midfielder to back up JPK and OKeefe might be ideal...
    Don't think we need Demons rejects

- - - Updated - - -

But do tend to agree that one recycled player could be an option on top of the Ruckman replacement.

Our lack of depth could potentially be an issue - Jude, Jed, Dre, Jesse and Mummy could all do jobs plus AJ and Shaw have questions marks.

Looking at our current risk I classify 24 as genuine senior players with Cunningham and BJ close. Add a ruckman and mature age recruit and we get to 26. Guess we'll also see Membrey and at least one other player step up like this year. We should be OK but I do think we have swapped quality for quantity with the Buddy deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw we have recruited Laidler so the pieces are falling into place

maybe that's why hes gone
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Disagree, he was one of our better players over our 3 finals matches and will be a handy player for Collingwood.

I like Armstrong and wish him well, but I believe his weak defensive skills would not stand up to the finals pressure against quality teams like Hawks, Cats, Dockers, hence he didn't get a look in most of this season and has now been delisted.
    - - - Updated - - -

totally agree your next job should be swans recruiting department hurry hurry

Veterans List
    Having a read through the top 20 prospects on the AFL website, I'd be happy with any of those 20 that fall through to our pick at 15.

Where we need to excell again is with the picks 32, 35 and 44. Hopefully one or two good players slip into our range there.

Think we need to find a mature ruckman just in case Pyke goes down, we really only have Mike then a very raw Naismith.

Hopefully there's no first round shock like last year, when Towers name was read out I reckon 99% of us had no idea who he was and his 2013 confirmed our draft night fears. Hopefully he can step up in 2014.

The ruck situation bothers me.

We could take our pick with whoever we want at 15 but may miss out completely at 32, then again rucks usually do not draft first round at all. Given the risk attached I would not be surprised to see our first round pick go on a ruckman. Maybe Tippett as well with a late pick and three young uns.

just wondering how a "Scott Pendlebury to join the Swans in 2015" rumour would affect the swans draft strategy

can anyone think of a more priceless look then seeing Eddie's face when confronted by this rumour

i just think this would be one of the funniest rumours spread of all time in AFL

- - - Updated - - -

two words

Sam Naismith

he truly could back up and play some minutes behind Pyke, Tip and LRT later in the season - he has the talent and he will be wrestling with Tip and Pyke all pre season and season long
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I would wait till pick 53 for a ruck. If it's Seaby, so be it. If we think the chances are slim for either Naismith or Mitchell succeeding, then use pick 44 to get another developing ruckman.

[QUOTE=Auntie.Gerald;629727]just wondering how a "Scott Pendlebury to join the Swans in 2015" rumour would affect the swans draft strategy

can anyone think of a more priceless look then seeing Eddie's face when confronted by this rumour

i just think this would be one of the funniest rumours spread of all time in AFL

- - - Updated - - -

As much as I'd love that I think we may be a little quiet in the elite free agency market for a few years

Hope you are right about Naismith, can't wait to start getting in the habit of getting down for the twos again in 2014. Problem is we shouldn't be relying on LRT and KT as our backup rucks.

Sure we have been scouting heavily and hope we have a list of 4-5 names that could fill a role for 12 months. If that's the case then don't waste 15.

Also depends largely on whether they reckon Naismith will be the long term solution and when. If they are targeting 2014 and are confident he will make it then I'd happily take a Seaby type for 12 months. I'd also be tempted to go for a young prospect if we can get him at the right price and Joel Tippett to add to the defensive stocks

Naismith is still a developing kid (in afl ruckman terms) and although is a natural build, and can play btw, pinning our advance hopes on a single young underdeveloped ruckman is kind of premature. We have Tippett, Pyke, LRT at a pinch, and I am sure they will look at other options. In the meantime we have been able to run off opposition ruckman very well indeed, in fact it is a practiced art. Nothing is left unexplored at the Swans. Trust in the process.......kind of.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would wait till pick 53 for a ruck. If it's Seaby, so be it. If we think the chances are slim for either Naismith or Mitchell succeeding, then use pick 44 to get another developing ruckman.
    Doubt Seaby would want to move across the country again to play NEAFL on basic wages. His ankle was looking pretty shot by his final season with us anyway, his mobility was gone.

Using the afl draft machine and watching a few highlights packages I settled on.
    15. Johnothan Marsh (wanted a fast midfielder for first round)
    32/35. Kennedy-Harris / Crouch / best available mids
    44. Joel Tippett (not because he's Kurts brother, but because he smashed the combine testing and was the SANFL team of the year fullback. At that point you can certainly play).
    53. Garlett (risk vs reward, if it works he's the steal of the draft, if it doesn't then he was pick 53 so it's no surprise).

- - - Updated - - -

Which put me well out of alignment with the fans verdict. Ah well, back to tgw drawing board.

- - - Updated - - -

Scratch that, fans verdict has us getting Lewis Taylor at 71. THAT would be the steal of the draft, he's supposed to be a chance for top 10! I now believe I am more sensible than the fans verdict and my selections should be adopted by the club :P

i always find the fans verdict to be way off the mark

- - - Updated - - -

but i settled for:
    15. acres (need a big tall mid and he might be the best available at that time, if a better one slips thru then obviously grab it)
    32. marsh (unpredictable player with awesome skills when he's on, needs a lot of polish)
    35. garlett (i reckon he's certain to be picked up this year seeing as a lot of his off-field issues have been worked on. seeing as its an even draft i'd grab him now before another team does)
    44. tippett (need another big defender. ned nailed the reasons why)

that still leaves the ruckman issue unsolved but i highly doubt we'll use more than four picks in the draft (but seeing as we've released a stack of depth players i could be wrong). 09 we used 5 but thats cos we had a crap season and really needed to rejuvenate the list