Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 22 according to afl.com.au

Best 22 according to afl.com.au

Thought they actually did a good job regarding Swans. Makes a change! They don't have Johnson or Shaw in team due to injury concerns. No Laidler either. I find it very interesting that the Swans have the highest rated 22 in the comp according to the numbers 7700 or so ahead of Nth, Hawthorn, Carlton and Geelong (from memory). Would be even higher with Shaw and AJ in I would have thought.
    Of course the numbers thing is a crock of poop because apparently Hanners is the 83rd best midfielder. Rating way behind a few kids from Melbourne and St.Kilda. Can't do a link on my iPad 'cos flash doesn't work
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Blog Entries

3rd post and no actual team?

No more! NO MORE!!

B Dane Rampe, Ted Richards, Nick Smith
    HB Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy, Nick Malceski
    C Lewis Jetta, Daniel Hannebery, Ryan O'Keefe
    HF Gary Rohan, Lance Franklin, Adam Goodes
    F Sam Reid, Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker
    R Mike Pyke, Josh Kennedy, Kieren Jack
    INT Tom Mitchell, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Craig Bird
    SUB Ben McGlynn
    -

Opti-pessi-misti
    I would agree that when AJ and Shaw are fit we have 24 players who would expect to be in the best 22 and none of them would be too happy to be given the vest. (Goodesy may not be ready to play for round one either.)

Then it is interesting to note that our depth players are Cunningham, Jack and Laidler! Derickx and Walsh are the only other players on the list who have played a senior game (not counting X. Richards' game as a sub). That is seriously scary. 2014 is going to be a 'a year of living dangerously' - a flag or .......... !

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I would agree that when AJ and Shaw are fit we have 24 players who would expect to be in the best 22 and none of them would be too happy to be given the vest. (Goodesy may not be ready to play for round one either.)

Then it is interesting to note that our depth players are Cunningham, Jack and Laidler! Derickx and Walsh are the only other players on the list who have played a senior game (not counting X. Richards' game as a sub). That is seriously scary. 2014 is going to be a 'a year of living dangerously' - a flag or .......... !
    I wouldn't surprise me if Laidler played round 1 and held his spot in the team. He's very much a Marty Mattner type player. Can't say who goes out.

Biggs played a few games last year as well. Membrey and Towers both should be pressing for selection too.

Opti-pessi-misti
    You are right Ludwig, I forgot about Biggs. So I suppose 2 regulars and 4 others with some experience is not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post

Very true. I hope that number will be added to by Membrey, Xav and a bolter or two. That would give us about 8 genuine top-ups from the best 22 which is really what you need to get through the season.

Injuries are a major factor in any side winning a flag and I reckon we can only afford to have four of that top 24 out come September to have a crack at the flag.

I think Dan Robinson and Lloyd Perris will also contest for some senior footy. Jake Lloyd also had an outstanding first year in the reserves and looks like he is progressing well ahead of schedule. From all accounts, Harry Marsh has come back extremely fit and might push for a game at some point in the season. Sam 'BIG DOG' Naismith might get a run if some of the big guys go down. You add in Reid, Goodes, Johnson, Shaw, Jetta, Rohan and LRT who all missed significant time with injury last year. Tom Mitchell should play more game this year, along with Tippett (missed the first half through suspension). The team looks very strong and then you chuck in buddy! Things looking very good for the swans this year!!!!!

McGlynn in the middle - sydneyswans.com.au

interesting to see benny training ft now in the midfield group
    i was trying to work out what roles pebbles and mcglynn will play in 2014
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    McGlynn in the middle - sydneyswans.com.au

interesting to see benny training ft now in the midfield group
    i was trying to work out what roles pebbles and mcglynn will play in 2014
    The 'old guy up forward spot is vacant.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    The 'old guy up forward spot is vacant.
    I reckon ROK will be 'old man up forward' this year pinch hitting when needed in the mids.

that was my initial gut feeling to wolf

but i cant imagine goodes, reid, tip, buddy and rok all up in the forward line at the same time as that wouldnt have enough lateral speed in that grouping of forwards?

part of the success of freeo in 2013 was having the fast short forwards applying incredible pressure

unless we play more a high possession short kicking Hawthorn style of footy ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast