Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Mike - Warwick Capper

Open Mike - Warwick Capper

I'm surprised there's no thread about this already. Did anyone else watch it? It's hard to know exactly how much of it is his "schtick" and how much he actually believes.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I watched and laughed (a little) He is certainly still a showman, agree with you, hard to know whether to believe much of what he said.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Just watching the replay now.

He charges $3000 to appear for an event. At Corporate functions he talks about having belief in yourself.

Gerard Healey rated him as the second highest sportsman in Australia behind Greg Norman during the 80's.

Played ruck in his first few years. His mark over Langford should have been better than Shaun Smith's according to him. Langford shook his hand after the game which was rare at the time.

Joanne had a fight with thge Swans and walked out on Warwick. Did his head in and he just couldn't play.

He said he made millions for the Swans and should have been in the Team of the Century.

Glad The Doctor kicked on with "Bree".

Blamed Joanne for his move to Brisbane even though he was the first million dollar player. He hated the Gold Coast. After 4 games he knew it was a mistake.

Hafey, Healey and Greg Williams begged him not to go. However, Joanne had him by the crown jewels.

Said Peter Knights had no idea how to coach and played him back. Knights wanted to drop him in the second year but Skase as owner over ruled him.

Just like The Club (BTW which I saw last Thursday night and John Wood was brilliant. He is so talented and brilliant comedian believe it or not). Highly recommended.

Felt he was made to be the scapegoat at the Bears.

Dropped the ball with two hands because of a cartilage problem.

Received death threats from Swans members for three years after he moved up north and had a bodyguard. Not sure if his name was Kevin.

Forwards have it easy today compared to what happened to him each week.

He was upset he didn't make the Team of the Century and should have made it into a forward pocket or bench. Considering a few others like Bayes made it in.

Would tell Buddy to stay at the Hawks.

Tex has the best mullett. Better kick than Wazza but not as good looking. Need more entertainers these days.

He rents out his apartment for the weekend for $5000 and stays with them according to him. Has had 4 or 5 takers already and chauffers them around. Can have a spa with Wazza and sit in the Swans chair.

Took speed with the late Merv Nagle before the 1986 final series which he admitted to. They worked witha truckie firm and got a few of them before the Carlton game. However, after half time was hit with the big downer.

Biggest moment was the 2005 Grand Final win. However hang around with his own fan club afterwards.

Mike Sheehan seemed to enjoy the interview.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Very good summary Billy Ray.

I loved it. Laughed a bit at it too. The Wiz is still a showman, and a good one.

He is still the best marking forward we have ever had at Sydney. A genuine champion who I wish had stayed a one club player.

That mark over Langford and him kicking his 100th goal that same day were the only highlights of a miserable finals campaign for us Swans supporters. He was out injured the next week and we never saw him at his best ever again.

On the Rookie List
    I really enjoyed this interview. It was actually really interesting.

i was never a great fan - very unSwan like for me but the interview was very entertaining both to Mike Sheehan and my disbelief ! He knows how to entertain.

He tells the same story every time no deviation. I don't think he is bright enough to make it up. He is amusing.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone remember this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOMdvwqKgpc

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I hadn't previously heared the amphetamine admission, which was particulalry interesting in view of Merv's demise. But other than that it was mostly the same old self delusions that Capper's been trotting out for years, and which I suspect only go unchallenged because he's such an endearing dimwit.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I hadn't previously heared the amphetamine admission, which was particulalry interesting in view of Merv's demise. But other than that it was mostly the same old self delusions that Capper's been trotting out for years, and which I suspect only go unchallenged because he's such an endearing dimwit.
    Spot on.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Regular in the Side
    Personally I disagree. Capper may be prone to exaggeration and mythologising. However, his playing ability should not be denied. There is ample evidence supporting that he was a hard trainer, had a good relationship with Hafey and Healy, and brought in the crowds. No-one should deny he was a super mark and kick for goal.

He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but how many footballers have you attempted to converse with lately who are?

I personally think the 2005 GF victory was the opportunity for him to come back into the fold. but alas .......................

Let's not forget the Rick Kennedy stories. Had me in stitches. Told Rick he'd get him back for every time he punched his head pretending to punch the ball - as they did in those days (Dunks being the expert). Rick asked how so! Wiz said he'd take mark of the year on his head shortly and he'd be embarassed to be front page of the papers with the Wiz on his head. Absolute gold.

Also told Rick to keep touching him on the arse as he enjoyed it! Apparently Rick was bemused....

Veterans List
    Back in the eighties my brother and I went to a club function when Warwick had come back to the Swans. At a break the players mixed with supporters and we noticed that Warwick was sitting by himself. No one seemed to want to talk to him. We strolled over and had a chat with him and I recall him saying he was out of favour with the coach who I think may have been Col Kinnear, and IIRC it was his last season. He was a very humble man and spoke freely without pazzaz. I guess he "found" himself after he retired.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast