Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: NAB Challenge: Swans v Giants.

Pretty good hitout. Youngsters, players back from injury, rucks, defence all did pretty well.

Brereton: 'if Cunningham isn't in the Swans' best 22, that's real depth.'

Suspended by the MRP
    I've only seen the first quarter of the game on IQ as I was watching the Cricket to see if Mitchell Johnson could put more South Africans in hospital!

The thing that had me excited about the Swans was the sheer pace of their side. Guys like Rohan, Brandon Jack, Cunningham and even Dene Towers were electric! I was impressed with Towers confidence as he gathered ball and took off!

We have Jetta and Franklin to come back in who are very sharp as well.

Now with Jude Bolton retired, we can have more pace in that forward line, to break into space, dominate the sling shot and apply the most ruthless of defensive pressure!

Great stuff!

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

i also enjoyed watching some of our structural play changes

there was several times where we experimented a little more through the corridor with very deliberate direct plays to guys standing and posting up for runners coming past

this one below was an example but turned into a lot easier play then expected as Dean turned and realised he didnt need to pass...........

SwansTV: Deano's run and gun - sydneyswans.com.au

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    i also enjoyed watching some of our structural play changes

there was several times where we experimented a little more through the corridor with very deliberate direct plays to guys standing and posting up for runners coming past

this one below was an example but turned into a lot easier play then expected as Dean turned and realised he didnt need to pass...........

SwansTV: Deano's run and gun - sydneyswans.com.au
    Andrej who?
    Jesse who?

- yes our intensity was very good last night, our tackling and pressure was 8.5 out of 10 i thought

- our depth looks solid, i really enjoyed watching tommy mitchell just pick up where he left off and the same for Reid and Rohan looking very comfortable

- It does make it easier with our back 6 being there from 2013 and our midfield rotation a fairly big step above GWS

It appears that there is replays on fox but not sure what times as they have not indicated the teams on the tv guide

http://www.foxtel.com.au/whats-on/tv-guide/default.htm

Veterans List
    Good win against nearly the best side GWS can put on the park wheras we have some "ok" players to add in the upcoming week/months. I was worried about the depth spillage due to Buddy's arrival but liked what I saw from our new depth players last night. Not sure Lamb will be missed on what I saw last night and he may find himself fringish again at GWS given their huge list of high draft picks pushing for selection. But to us -

Ruck was a big worry for me after our departures but depth looks ok for this year and even better going forward. Wouldn't want to lose Pyke but all is not lost if he does go down.

Mitchell - gun! He has only played 14 games, wait until he is experieced :-) Parker going on with it and Cunningham stepping up all good signs.

Backmen look in good form, Teddy, Mal, Shaw all looked in very good touch, particularly for February. Did Jeremy Cameron get a touch?!

Reid and Rohan both look really good and will be important players this year. Great to see them sticking up their and to be best 22.

West Coast next week will be a good game given what they did to Freo, if they bring over a similar side.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thank you to everyone reporting back - as always, much appreciated.
    And very encouraging news indeed by all accounts.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Feedback from Me.

Dean Towers - last year he frustrated me like anything. Never seemed to get involved in the game. Much better approach this year. Far more of the 'getting to the contest' in him.
    Sam Reid - oh those shoulders - anyway, he is looking a hell of a lot more confident out there; mind you his opposition wasn't exactly of Hawthorn standard, but he is a graceful player, especially above his head.
    Harry Cunningham - keeper. Like him a lot.
    Tom Derickx - damned fine looking young man, which pleases me on a totally facetious level, but out to prove he can play. Looks like another Swans Recycle Winner.
    Talking about which
    Ted Richards - I just said he's another Dunks out there tonight. Safe as houses.
    Gary Rohan - He has grown from an exciting kid with potential into a fairly self assured player, who knows his place in the team. Quick too.
    Benny McGlynn - Did anyone tell him this was just the NAB? He has boundless enthusiasm and has taken on the role of Jude's head. Needs to be a bit more aware of self preservation.
    Luke Parker - not terribly evident, but if you look closely at the bottom of the packs......
    Tom Mitchell - has he only played 6 seniors??? Shoot me dead, in my dreamteam. Move over whatsisname.

Don't be too hard on Peb. He was out there organising the midfield; coaching on the spot and directing the kids about the place. He's fine.

Very interesting to watch the matchups, the developing linking, the partners in crime (Shaw & Mal, its going to be a massive hole there one day)

If any of the commentators have a dig at Nanny and especially Naismith, look at their heights. How Sam can get down below his knees is beyond me. The man is 205.

One final observation and I wonder if anyone of you out there noted it as well. When our boys did something good, the players acknowledged it, like they always do. When the Giants did something, umm.......it was minimal and at one stage Toby Green walked away from I think Chops, who finished his goal for him. They do not appear to be too good at this yet. Or did I miss something....
    Last edited by Primmy; 21st February 2014 at 09:50 AM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Feedback from Me.

Dean Towers - last year he frustrated me like anything. Never seemed to get involved in the game. Much better approach this year. Far more of the 'getting to the contest' in him.
    Sam Reid - oh those shoulders - anyway, he is looking a hell of a lot more confident out there; mind you his opposition wasn't exactly of Hawthorn standard, but he is a graceful player, especially above his head.
    Harry Cunningham - keeper. Like him a lot.
    Tom Derickx - damned fine looking young man, which pleases me on a totally facetious level, but out to prove he can play. Looks like another Swans Recycle Winner.
    Talking about which
    Ted Richards - I just said he's another Dunks out there tonight. Safe as houses.
    Gary Rohan - He has grown from an exciting kid with potential into a fairly self assured player, who knows his place in the team. Quick too.
    Benny McGlynn - Did anyone tell him this was just the NAB? He has boundless enthusiasm and has taken on the role of Jude's head. Needs to be a bit more aware of self preservation.
    Luke Parker - not terribly evident, but if you look closely at the bottom of the packs......
    Tom Mitchell - has he only played 6 seniors??? Shoot me dead, in my dreamteam. Move over whatsisname.

Don't be too hard on Peb. He was out there organising the midfield; coaching on the spot and directing the kids about the place. He's fine.

Very interesting to watch the matchups, the developing linking, the partners in crime (Shaw & Mal, its going to be a massive hole there one day)

If any of the commentators have a dig at Nanny and especially Naismith, look at their heights. How Sam can get down below his knees is beyond me. The man is 205.

One final observation and I wonder if anyone of you out there noted it as well. When our boys did something good, the players acknowledged it, like they always do. When the Giants did something, umm.......it was minimal and at one stage Toby Green walked away from I think Chops, who finished his goal for him. They do not appear to be too good at this yet. Or did I miss something....
    How is this for a Round 1 team

B LRT Richards Rampe

H.B Mal Grundy N. Smith

C Mcvigh K. Jack Hananbery

H.F Jetta Reid Rohan

F.F Cunningham Franklin Dertrix

Foll Pyke Kennedy Parker

Res - Mitchell
    Bird
    Myglyn

Sub ROK

I love the afl website..i have three browsers opened and none of them load up match centre.
    I love living in a country where the internet is being held at randsom by corporates and luddite baby boomers.

I bet if i was in Guatemala i would be able to view matches without any ease and in HD as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    How is this for a Round 1 team

B LRT Richards Rampe

H.B Mal Grundy N. Smith

C Mcvigh K. Jack Hananbery

H.F Jetta Reid Rohan

F.F Cunningham Franklin Dertrix

Foll Pyke Kennedy Parker

Res - Mitchell
    Bird
    Myglyn

Sub ROK
    Dertrix the Gaul, Asterix' nemesis, famed across the Roman Empire for his squirrel grip and other dirty tricks. Rumoured to have supplied Nero with an early version of Flappy Bird before setting fire to the Imperial Palace ?

or Tom Derickx, Mummy's nemesis and currently just out of the medal positions in the Swans beard Olympics ?
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.