Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Blame Swans for COLA scrutiny: Giants

Quote Originally Posted by cartman48 View Post
    The most intelligent post on this site in the last 5 years..... There should be an allowance but the AFL should administer it and it should be to support the lower paid players on the Swans and Giants lists as I'm sure Franklin, Tippett and Goodes (And Scully, Davis & Ward at GWS) are not struggling with the cost of living in Sydney. There should also be a relocation payment made to every young draftee to help them set up in a new state if they move - however they need to repay that money in full if they get "Homesick" in the first 5 years......
    Your joking arent you :
    1. We arent cashed up at all. In fact in most years we barely turn a profit.
    2. The swans arent crying poor and never have. If you think the COLA is all about club wealth you are missing the point of what its in place for.
    3. Success shouldnt mean that in effect we should be penalised financially - the effect of removing the COLA is that if I pay a player $100,000 the player is in effect better off taking $100,000 at a melbourne club as it will actually be the same from a cost perspective as being offerred $110,000 by Sydney.

While I agree that the way the COLA is handled could be aimed at those more likely to be afffected but I disagree that this is the Swans own making. I am sure they have provided very good background data etc that justifies the position , but you cant argue with emotion and self interest and the people bleating the most are coming from that position.

The only reason that I can see for the Swans bringing it on themselves is :
    1. They signed Tippett and Franklin
    2. They have been successful just prior to doing that.

[QUOTE=Jewels;633547]Don't completely agree with you there Jono, from what I can see the club has worked extremely hard to prove it's point about the COLA, but sometimes, there is just no telling people no matter how hard you try or how much evidence you produce.
    I really can't see the AFL just cutting the COLA out in one foul swoop after the huge fall from grace it brought about at the Lions and believe they will have to honour all current contracts (excluding Franklins, as the AFL clearly warned Sydney that the COLA was on the way out prior to his signing) and that in the future there will be a ceiling.[/QUOTE

One fell swoop.

Its just amazing no matter how many times the swans admin explain the COLA in simple terms they (rest of the AFL fans) just dont want to listen. They want to believe we are cheats, they want to believe we are using our COLA in deceptive ways..they basically want us exposed as salary cap cheats. They fear us down there and they desperately want to believe we are nothing more than cheats.

While clubs respect our culture and what we have done there are a lot of afl fans in melbourne who basically hate us for no real reason but jealousy. Its the way people have been conditioned to follow AFL in melbourne, to believe everything the media says as it complies with their "born to rule we are mebourne home of AFL" mentality. Many still want us to be the old swans who really wernt a threat to their dynasties, the club that everyone supportered as a second team in that patronising way. It kinda reminds me of the story of west indian cricket team, when they were bad they were loved because they wernt a threat and people sorry for them..but as soon as they got their competitive edge using a full on pace attack, using the same methods as the aussies at the time, the cricket world cried foul and called them cheats and what not. I feel our rise is similar in ways.

Maybe its the whole tall poppy thing, i dont know, but it frustrates me at times.

And now we have to put up with GWS trying to troll and basically acting like the entitled franchise souless club that they are. Go away and start focusing on making the GWS a club with a soul and giving the club a friggen personality. As it stands they are nothing, a souless cold franchise from melbourne that only ex pats want.

Just remember this simple rule. The big Victorian clubs and their less globally minded supporters are happy for it to be an AFL with clubs from outside Victoria, as long as we don't do very well.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Don't completely agree with you there Jono, from what I can see the club has worked extremely hard to prove it's point about the COLA, but sometimes, there is just no telling people no matter how hard you try or how much evidence you produce.
    I really can't see the AFL just cutting the COLA out in one foul swoop after the huge fall from grace it brought about at the Lions and believe they will have to honour all current contracts (excluding Franklins, as the AFL clearly warned Sydney that the COLA was on the way out prior to his signing) and that in the future there will be a ceiling.
    One fell swoop.
    Or as I sometimes say, one swell foop.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Are the day to day items, such as beer, bread, milk, coffee more expensive in Sydney than Melbourne? I wouldn't have thought so.

I don't have a problem if the COLA ceases. As long as it's replaced with another scheme.

Some sort of rental allowance should be introduced for players in the lower salary bracket.

[QUOTE=Chilcott;633558]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Don't completely agree with you there Jono, from what I can see the club has worked extremely hard to prove it's point about the COLA, but sometimes, there is just no telling people no matter how hard you try or how much evidence you produce.
    I really can't see the AFL just cutting the COLA out in one foul swoop after the huge fall from grace it brought about at the Lions and believe they will have to honour all current contracts (excluding Franklins, as the AFL clearly warned Sydney that the COLA was on the way out prior to his signing) and that in the future there will be a ceiling.[/QUOTE

One fell swoop.
    Agree with this ... other clubs openly expressed complete incredulity over both the KT and Buddy deals. Swans were clearly very shrewd in making them both happen and this caught other clubs - especially the big ones - by surprise. So in response they have to argue that the Swans have an unfair advantage. If not, why weren't they able to pull off similar coups?? So I wouldn't expect other clubs to listen to any fact-based arguments about COLA.

I support the following mentioned either in the press or by previous posters:

1. Salary cap modified to also control football dept spending - the non-player spend gap across clubs is currently very large and growing ... a big threat to club financial stability as all clubs feel compelled to follow e.g. look at how many clubs are now spending budget on altitude training after the richest club started doing it a few years back. Not sure if it should be a single cap or two separate caps for players and football dept.
    2. COLA capped or phased out over a threshold player salary (e.g. $150Kp.a. was suggested previously) ... to ensure that junior/low income players get their full COLA but a Buddy-level salary gets no extra COLA. However, I still struggle with how to police this in practice. e.g. couldn't the Swans just as easily argue that Buddy's deal is true market value and does not include any COLA?
    3. COLA applied to every club - establish a baseline cost-of-living for every AFL city based on independent measures. Every club with a proven cost of living above the baseline gets the allowance. In reality, this would probably mean Adelaide clubs get no COLA, Sydney clubs get most, places like Perth would be the immediate gainers. The problem at the moment is that COLA is used by the AFL to prop up struggling clubs. But the cost of living gap between Sydney and other cities doesn't go away just because you win a premiership. So COLA should be used to address the fundamental financial gap between cities only. Use other methods to prop up GWS.

And yes, it's "one fell swoop", but if the take away the COLA in one fell swoop it will be foul.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

Chilcott, nail on head!

Chilcott, nail on head!

Magoo's analysis is spot on.

I think everyone understand's the issues involved, but each club is presenting a case that best suits its own situation. There is only so much money to go around and some balance has to achieved between bringing a fair and equal competition and success for those who simply find the better solution, both on and off the field.

Also agree with those critical of GWS chief Mathews, as he is arguing for losing the COLA if the Giants should manage a higher ladder position than the Swans, so he is saying "if we succeed, then take our COLA away too." I think the Giants will have some reckoning to do down the line when the money dries up, with or without success. It's another Brisbane waiting to happen. I just hope the Swans don't fall into the same boat.

The AFL has a difficult problem on it's hands, and it won't be easy getting it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilcott View Post
    Are the day to day items, such as beer, bread, milk, coffee more expensive in Sydney than Melbourne? I wouldn't have thought so.

I don't have a problem if the COLA ceases. As long as it's replaced with another scheme.

Some sort of rental allowance should be introduced for players in the lower salary bracket.
    Chilcott

the example that is very important

the year is 2017

you play for Carlton and they just came 12th on the ladder

North Melbourne want you to join them and North just won the GF

Sydney Swans want you to join them and Sydney just came 5th

all 3 clubs want to pay the same salary.........sydney rent is thru the roof...........sydney property market has gone up 30% in the last 3 years

you have a two year old and a one year old and your mum and dad live round the corner and help out with the kids while your wife works part time at a job she loves

you have great friends outside of footy in Melb and your wife absolutely gets along with her two melb based sisters and are best buddies !

Who will you join ??

This example will be the norm re family, friends and lack of a reason to change for most players which is a massive obstacle to over come for the swans even with COLA

In the past sydney went for two hot heads in Lockett and Barry who wanted to leave melb and have a break from the city of football, football, football..........we had to offer way over what they would have got in melb as well as the circumstances being in place that they wanted to leave which is a rare event !!!

I think the journos dont tend to really think about how much the majority of us like to stay with friends, jobs, family and family support...........
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    Your joking arent you :
    1. We arent cashed up at all. In fact in most years we barely turn a profit.
    2. The swans arent crying poor and never have. If you think the COLA is all about club wealth you are missing the point of what its in place for.
    3. Success shouldnt mean that in effect we should be penalised financially - the effect of removing the COLA is that if I pay a player $100,000 the player is in effect better off taking $100,000 at a melbourne club as it will actually be the same from a cost perspective as being offerred $110,000 by Sydney.

While I agree that the way the COLA is handled could be aimed at those more likely to be afffected but I disagree that this is the Swans own making. I am sure they have provided very good background data etc that justifies the position , but you cant argue with emotion and self interest and the people bleating the most are coming from that position.

The only reason that I can see for the Swans bringing it on themselves is :
    1. They signed Tippett and Franklin
    2. They have been successful just prior to doing that.
    Please point out where I indicated the Swans are Cashed up? A few players are and you get 10% additional to bid for players on the free market but I never stated the Swans are Cashed up.
    COLA was in place to support additional cost of living in Sydney and came about so they could remove the same funds from Brisbane after 2004 (There fourth Grand final on the trot).
    As a GWS Member they should lose there's in a couple of years as well - successful or not but they need a system where younger players are looked after (Housing etc) but the Swans have abused the system to there advantage (and good luck to them) but given the calibre of recruits they have uncovered over the years in low draft picks and the use of recycled players the Swans do not get the credit they deserve because this "unfair" system takes the gloss away. - Some in Melbourne will always see non footy states as looked after and they should be to remove market share from the knuckle heads in the NRL but you cannot tell me that the upper level players at Sydney and GWS need additional money to live. If Brisbane or Melbourne received this and Sydney did not everyone on this site would be crying foul as well.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Chilcott

the example that is very important

the year is 2017

you play for Carlton and they just came 12th on the ladder

North Melbourne want you to join them and North just won the GF

Sydney Swans want you to join them and Sydney just came 5th

all 3 clubs want to pay the same salary.........sydney rent is thru the roof...........sydney property market has gone up 30% in the last 3 years

you have a two year old and a one year old and your mum and dad live round the corner and help out with the kids while your wife works part time at a job she loves

you have great friends outside of footy in Melb and your wife absolutely gets along with her two melb based sisters and are best buddies !

Who will you join ??

This example will be the norm re family, friends and lack of a reason to change for most players which is a massive obstacle to over come for the swans even with COLA

In the past sydney went for two hot heads in Lockett and Barry who wanted to leave melb and have a break from the city of football, football, football..........we had to offer way over what they would have got in melb as well as the circumstances being in place that they wanted to leave which is a rare event !!!

I think the journos dont tend to really think about how much the majority of us like to stay with friends, jobs, family and family support...........
    Based on this logic 90% of the AFL will be moving to Adelaide to play with the crows or Port..... Cheap as chips to live there
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast