Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for the Pies

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    He would be gaulled to hear that.
    ho ho. Perhaps Obelisk could lend some ruck support to Pyke.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Funny how people keep saying preseason form means nothing. But the players who played really well in the preseason are the players who have the best stats on the weekend. Those who had pretty ordinary or limited pre-seasons are way down the bottom in the stats. At Hawthorn Buddy would have never been treated with such kid gloves. My nephew kept asking me "why isn't Buddy training, why isn't Buddy playing a full game?" I know it is pre-season but I think we needed to get as much game time into the big bloke as we could as he needs match fitness to thrive. If I hear managing Buddy one more time I will scream, it sounds like mollycoddling to me.

Out; LRT & Ryano. Hannas & Benny on notice.

In; Kizza & either Derrickx (if fit), Sammy N or the smokie Aliir (this boy could be our Nic Nat). Extended bench Towers, BJ & Biggs.

If pies play Witts we have to play a second ruck we have no choice. LRT is going to be useless against 209cm. As it stands he is hopeless against Sammy N, Toby & 'Bo' so how is he going to compete against Witts? Grundy would massacre him. What's more we need to take a player in who is going to get a kick as well as a few HO. LRT 2 HO & 4 disposals is just not AFL standard, sorry.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 24th March 2014 at 04:39 PM.

Apparently the tv Talking Footy show said Ben Reid is injured and not playing this week. So the defensive task looks a bit easier this week. We will have to face Cloke and White, and perhaps they will leave Witts in as well, or perhaps go with Goldsack; hard to say. This may give us an option of playing Derickx, or another ruckman, in lieu of LRT, as Ted and Reg can handle Cloke and White and Laidlaw can take the 3rd tall, whoever it is.

The In has to be a ruckman, whether LRT is fit or not. Collingwood's ruckmen might be young, but they are pretty decent as well. If we try playing Pyke with a 'roadie' as backup against teams with 2 good ruckmen, we are going to really struggle in the 2nd half of games.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Funny how people keep saying preseason form means nothing. But the players who played really well in the preseason are the players who have the best stats on the weekend. Those who had pretty ordinary or limited pre-seasons are way down the bottom in the stats. At Hawthorn Buddy would have never been treated with such kid gloves. My nephew kept asking me "why isn't Buddy training, why isn't Buddy playing a full game?" I know it is pre-season but I think we needed to get as much game time into the big bloke as we could as he needs match fitness to thrive. If I hear managing Buddy one more time I will scream, it sounds like mollycoddling to me.
    He was injured for a large part and started at least 2 weeks back from the others due to his grand final commitments.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    OK, so ignore the fact the bloke had a seizure with unknown causes and/or had quad tightness (reported at the time - might have been a cover for the seizure that has now been reported). Let's just flog the bloke until he drops. After all, being in peak condition in the middle of March is far more important than being in peak condition in September.

While they are at it, I can't understand why Tippett and Goodes aren't being flogged on the track too. Who do they think they are? And as for Alex Johnson...He thinks he can have two whole years off work just because his knee is a little sore?

It's just a fleshwound
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Warming the Bench
    I hope for all our sakes that Horse has realised his mistakes from last year when we fell into the finals at the end of our tether (injuries mostly to blame) This year we may start slower but hopefully be geared to hit our peak at the pointy end.
    This is no excuse for losing to GWS as we should still have covered them.

I hate to say this but although you cant win the flag in march you can lose it. if we get knocked off by the pies (and if past performance is any indication of future performance i would say this is actually a very good chance - probably better than fifty fifty) and start 0-2 and go to adelaide in adelaide we could very easily be 0-3.

strangely i am putting a lot of eggs in the franklin basket for this week and hoping he will show what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    I hate to say this but although you cant win the flag in march you can lose it. if we get knocked off by the pies (and if past performance is any indication of future performance i would say this is actually a very good chance - probably better than fifty fifty) and start 0-2 and go to adelaide in adelaide we could very easily be 0-3.

strangely i am putting a lot of eggs in the franklin basket for this week and hoping he will show what he can do.
    Very true. We can't afford to lose on Saturday - it could easily be 0-3, as you know Adelaide will be well and truly up for it on Saturday week, being their first 'home' game at the Adelaide oval, and despite his absence, blood still baying around the Tippett situation!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

If we are 0-3 after Adelaide, we can kiss top 4 goodbye, I know it is early etc etc, but with the improvement of West Coast, if Port continue, 4th spot is going to be congested (after Hawks, Freo and West Coast), throw Geelong into the mix.
    We just havnt improved over last year, arguably we have gone backwards, lost Mummy, no Goodes, Tippet, gained Buddy but if we aren't getting the ball from the middle we will get smashed.
    Exactly like GWS in the last quarter.

It's R2. Get a grip you lot!
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast