Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Cost of Buddy?

Interesting reading that Ben Reid just signed a new 4 year deal with the Wobbles. He admitted to "having a little look" at what was on offer elsewhere before signing.

With no Buddy deal....ie: 'the real cost of Buddy'....

Swans could of kept Mummy...... And probably 1 or 2 of , White , Lamb, Everitt...

Kept COLA off the agenda for at least another year...

Plus made a big play for Ben Reid, to a long term contract, to play here with his brother.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

It really makes me wonder about this ...All eggs in one basket..... Buddy deal.

Buddy is a great player...But he's 1 player.
    Last edited by ernie koala; 2nd April 2014 at 11:24 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I don't go for this all eggs in one basket thing at all. Mumford has always been vulnerable and couldn't sustain being the No.1 ruckman role. Tippet has been here just half a year. Reid was signed for heaps and is supposed to show heaps. There was not much respect here for White Everitt etc. Some gains and losses much as any year. It's getting the team to function is the real issue. We are always slow starters. This time I am waiting to see... Normally I am the first to look for conspiracy of dunces!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Interesting reading that Ben Reid just signed a new 4 year deal with the Wobbles. He admitted to "having a little look" at what was on offer elsewhere before signing.

With no Buddy deal....ie: 'the real cost of Buddy'....

Swans could of kept Mummy...... And probably 1 or 2 of , White , Lamb, Everitt...

Kept COLA off the agenda for at least another year...

Plus made a big play for Ben Reid, to a long term contract, to play here with his brother.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

It really makes me wonder about this ...All eggs in one basket..... Buddy deal.

Buddy is a great player...But he's 1 player.
    There will be a time in 2014, when Buddy in on fire and playing in the forward line with Tippett, Reid and Goodes. The defence will be solid, the midfield will be on top, and Rohan and Jetta will be displaying exhilarating speed.

Tippett and Goodes will be back within six weeks and Buddy is building form every week.

When it all clicks you will not care what a 2013 departed player is doing ,or be worried about Ben Reid resigning with Collingwood.

There is no way GWS woud have let reid through to us . They would have matched his salary requirements and would have better trade options to offer collingwood .

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    There is no way GWS woud have let reid through to us . They would have matched his salary requirements and would have better trade options to offer collingwood .
    If a player is a restricted free agent, and many clubs make a bid, the player can nominate the club they want to go to, even if the nominated club is not the highest bid? It will then be up to the players current club to match the bid of the players nominated club, not nesassarily the highest bid. Is this correct?

Do we see a situation where the 18 clubs start working together to push down the bids of superstar players looking at free agency, to get to a situation where the balance tips back to the clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    There will be a time in 2014, when Buddy in on fire and playing in the forward line with Tippett, Reid and Goodes. The defence will be solid, the midfield will be on top, and Rohan and Jetta will be displaying exhilarating speed.

Tippett and Goodes will be back within six weeks and Buddy is building form every week.

When it all clicks you will not care what a 2013 departed player is doing ,or be worried about Ben Reid resigning with Collingwood.
    I was using B Reid as an example of the quality of player we could of got...Plus keep Mummy and 1 or 2 other depth players...versus...1 excellent player, Buddy.

I agree that Buddy will no doubt play some great footy for us (though I doubt it will be for anything like 9 years, more like 4-5 years).

I just think spreading the largess , whilst still adding a quality KP player like Reid, would of been a more prudent way to go....But hey, that's just my opinion.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    When it all clicks you will not care what a 2013 departed player is doing
    I'm not so sure Matt, while not personally acquainted with Mr Koala and therefore unable to speak for the marsupial himself: I believe some RWOers do care about the activities of past players. Frankly I find the more myopic a thread the less interesting it is.

FWIW - I feel Shane Mumford was the 2nd best ruckman I have seen playing in Swans colours - and regret his departure.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 3rd April 2014 at 12:20 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I'm not so sure Matt, while not personally acquainted with Mr Koala and therefore unable to speak for the marsupial himself: I believe some RWOers do care about the activities of past players. Frankly I find the more
    myopic a thread the less interesting it is.

FWIW - I feel Shane Mumford was the 2nd best ruckman I have seen playing in Swans colours - and regret his departure.
    Who was number one? - Stafford, Ball, Goodes, Jolly or Pyke? Would be an interesting debate!

I find the journey of past players interesting as well. Lewis Johnston is also getting a game at the Crows.

I think now we need to move on, and look at the players we have. It?s about whether Toby N and Naismith can be effective at AFL level and when they will ready to have an impact. It?s about how much support can be given in the ruck by Tippett, LRT and Tom D in the early part of the season. It?s about how Pyke goes at number one. Judging by Pyke's performance against Collingwood I think he will be a very good number one ruckman.

How can we also assume that Mumford would have had two great games for the Swans to start 2014? Players are often invigorated by moving to a new club and having a fresh start with new people. It?s important to note that Mumford?s best year at the Swans was in 2010, which was his first year. He brought the same invigorated feeling to the Swans as he now has for GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    I'm not so sure Matt, while not personally acquainted with Mr Koala and therefore unable to speak for the marsupial himself:
    Yes, I do have an unfortunate alias on this site...And it was not meant to be a reference to E Dingo.

Ernie, was actually the name of a real koala, a one eyed koala, who lived around our house for many years.

Anyway, it seems I'm stuck with it on here.

Who was number one? - Stafford, Ball, Goodes, Jolly or Pyke? Would be an interesting debate
    Teasdale...

Senior Player
    Who was number one? - Stafford, Ball, Goodes, Jolly or Pyke? Would be an interesting debate!

I find the journey of past players interesting as well. Lewis Johnston is also getting a game at the Crows.

I think now we need to move on, and look at the players we have. It?s about whether Toby N and Naismith can be effective at AFL level and when they will ready to have an impact. It?s about how much support can be given in the ruck by Tippett, LRT and Tom D in the early part of the season. It?s about how Pyke goes at number one. Judging by Pyke's performance against Collingwood I think he will be a very good number one ruckman.

How can we also assume that Mumford would have had two great games for the Swans to start 2014? Players are often invigorated by moving to a new club and having a fresh start with new people. It?s important to note that Mumford?s best year at the Swans was in 2010, which was his first year. He brought the same invigorated feeling to the Swans as he now has for GWS.
    Yes we need to look to the future. I'm not sure Derickx is the future just a stop gap m. That leaves Toby or Sam. It will become very interesting. I guess we find out tonight what the club is thinking. I suspect they will select LRT if he is deemed fit although I'm not sure I agree with that

White is still a dud so no great loss. Does Mumford, Everitt, and Ben Reid = Franklin?????? Interesting question. Personally i'd rather Mumford, Everitt and Reid.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast