Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Round 4, 2014 v North Melbourne

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Two very noticeable things at the game.

One - they were slightly dominant in contested situations, but the big difference was we'd do one too many handball, whereas one release handball was enough for them to kick for position in the wet. Fairly basic strategy.

But the second one was more odd. In the first half in particular we'd have LRT, Buddy and the resting ruckman in our forward 50, but the smalls would press up 30 or 40m to the stoppage.

It meant when the ball got banged in there was no one to crumb or hold it in. Bad tactics given the wet made marking difficult. In fact the only one who occasionally held back with the forwards was ROK, but he's too slow to be much benefit.

They mixed it up a bit more later with Jetts and others, but North was playing two behind the ball by then so could usually intercept or mop up.
    Some other observations:

When the Swans kicked the ball up the line or long into the forward line, they hardly kicked the ball to the forwards advantage. When you don't kick the ball to advantage, the forward has no chance to mark and makes it tougher to get the ball out for a throw in and reset. The difference in delivery to Petre and Franklin was noticeable.

North seemed to read the drop of the ball better, and completed all their chest marks and some overhead marks. The Swans misread the drop of the ball, dropped many chest marks and hardly had any overhead marks. When you drop chest marks, the ball will be turned over or you next possession will be rushed. I can think of three critical goals that were conceded by unacceptable dropped marks.

Freo are murdering the bombers at the minute, can't wait to play them next week ....

Freo are murdering the bombers at the minute, can't wait to play them next week ....

The footy in general has been terrible this week, and the whole season for the most part. Only one decent contest out of the 9 games this weekend, that being GWS v. WB. The rest were blowouts and some really poor quality football. So far, Hawthorn look to be in a league of their own.

I'm really concerned about Longmire's coaching. How he could play ROK and Derickx in these conditions is beyond me. The head coach has got to take responsibility if seasoned players continue to make basic errors. Why is the team not clicking? Why can't we run out games?

The team needs a new look. This team doesn't appear like it cares about winning. Maybe all the off season stuff has drained the team mentally. We will never know.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Maybe they all want $10 million. That should fix it.

Long Term Injury List
    I am still mulling over my thoughts of the game, but one thing that I think is being overlooked in some of the discussions is that we have lost some very experienced coaches in the last two years. Also a number of our players are now at other clubs.
    Is it just a coincidence that the three games we have lost this year are to the three teams which have the most recent injection of SWANS trained players and coaches?
    This is just another way of looking at things. Not saying it explains everything but I think it does have a bit to do with our position at the moment.

For what it's worth I think we miss Jude Bolton's ability to scrap and rally the troops.
    Last edited by baskin; 13th April 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Hi all first post.
    About time dean towers got a go. Been an emergency a few times and has played nab cup. Time for some young players as well. Can't hedge all our bets on tippett and goodes
    Last edited by Gthommo; 13th April 2014 at 08:50 PM.

On the Rookie List
    Would like to see young Membrey considered soon also, kicked 8 goals in the reserves today, a decent effort regardless of the opposition. He's a smart player & deserves a go, along with Towers & Nankervis.

I agree, membrey looks good and dare I say it out loud, we have to become like hawthorn and geelong and have multiple avenues to goal. Would like to see us kicking goals. In three games we have averaged 6 goals a game, crows game was the exception. Missing alex J down back.
    The coaches are getting out coached though.
    To be positive I think in 2005 we were 2 and 4 and the big boss said we were ugly.
    Fire up swans.

Warming the Bench

Round 4, 2014 v North Melbourne

When Kizza changed his guernsey, from up the top of the Brewongle it looked like he had some padding (not strapping) around his right ribs. We were a fair way away - did anyone else notice or get a better look? I am getting the feeling that he is playing with a fair injury and did not wake up with the bad back a few weeks ago. Mitchell is another that does not look right.

Just having a look at the recording, Jack is wearing some protection.
    Last edited by goods78; 13th April 2014 at 10:15 PM.

Suspended by the MRP
    We just don't have enough players who are playing well. Here is a simple list of our players comparing their early 2014 form compared to their 2013 form. The categories are Better, Neutral or Worse

Smith - Neutral
    Richards - Neutral
    Rampe - Neutral
    Shaw - Worse although did not play much in 2013.
    Malceski - Worse
    Grundy - Neutral
    Laidler - Better
    Hanners - Worse
    Jack - Worse, but almost a Neutral
    Kennedy - Neutral
    Parker - Better
    McGlynn - Better
    McVeigh - Worse
    Pyke - Neutral
    Bird - Worse
    Mitchell - Worse
    ROK - Worse
    LRT - Neutral but limited Football in 2013
    Jetta - Better
    Rohan - Neutral
    Cunningham - Better
    Franklin - Worse
    Tom D - Neutral
    Reid - Neutral

As you can see there are many players who have dropped, most are neutral and only Cunningham, Jetta, McGlynn, Laidler and Parker have lifted from their 2013 form.

We are still to assess Goodes and Tippett.

We simply have too many players who are down on their 2013 form, and not enough players who are stepping up and going forward from their 2013 form. This tells the big story of the season thus far.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Two very noticeable things at the game.

One - they were slightly dominant in contested situations, but the big difference was we'd do one too many handball, whereas one release handball was enough for them to kick for position in the wet. Fairly basic strategy.

But the second one was more odd. In the first half in particular we'd have LRT, Buddy and the resting ruckman in our forward 50, but the smalls would press up 30 or 40m to the stoppage.

It meant when the ball got banged in there was no one to crumb or hold it in. Bad tactics given the wet made marking difficult. In fact the only one who occasionally held back with the forwards was ROK, but he's too slow to be much benefit.
    Great post.
    The small forwards getting sucked up the ground happened all game. How can the coaches let this happen all game?

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast