Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 7 Changes V Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Since when is resting injured players not a good thing?
    I didn't say that though.

The point I was trying to make is that the Swans aren't in any position to let the Hawks game have any influence over selection for the Lions game. We need the win over the Lions before any other consideration. If the coaching and medical staff think there is a chance of further injury to any player because of niggles they are carrying then that player is injured and goes on the injured list, they don't get rested just because we're playing a premiership contender the week after.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    ....This is one of those weeks where selections will be fascinating.
    Agree ernie. But I bet you it doesn't turn out that way. If I was a selector and assuming ins are fit.

Injury/Rest
    Out: McVeigh, Jack, Franklin, LRT
    In: Mitchell, Reid, Tippett, Membrey

Form/structure
    Out: Derickx
    In: Nankervis

McVeigh & Jack won't be rested - captains don't get rested end of story!

McVeigh seemed fine throughout the match and has been playing reasonably well all season. A little hobble in the second half and some are crying out for the skip to have a rest. Give me a spell - it's AFL football not the Australian cricket team under Micky Arthur. McVeigh has earnt the respect of his fellow players & captains by his leadership, longevity & toughness. McVeigh will have to break a leg before agreeing to be rested. HE WILL PLAY.

As for K Jack, see above. No doubt he has some back/rib issues however each week he seems to be getting better and running extra kms. Also pretty sure Dad would not let him come over for dinner if he missed with a minor rib complaint...

The Bud should let the knee rest up for a week if Tippo & Reid are right to go. Let 'em all loose - Bud, Tippo, the great man & Reidy - against the Hawks next game.

I'd also seriously consider Membrey as the medium sized small as ROK is just about goooooooooorrrrnnn, unfortunately, and McGlynn is playing more of a midfield role.

Speculating about changes based on form is one thing, but trying to outguess the medical and training staff about who is fit enough to play is bit difficult. It's easy to second guess these folks when things go wrong, like when Reid went down after only a few minutes in his first game back from a quad injury, but in the end, we fans are simply not in a position to know better than the experts.

I think we have a doctor or 2 on RWO, so perhaps we could arrange for a RWO medical examination of the players so we can be knowledgeable when speculating about selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

I think we have a doctor or 2 on RWO, so perhaps we could arrange for a RWO medical examination of the players so we can be knowledgeable when speculating about selection.
    I'm sure we have a glut of female "doctors" on RWO ready to sacrifice their time to conduct thorough examinations each week.

It's rare that I comment on changes simply because I'm not privy to the medical condition, training performance and general attitude off the field of the players. Not criticising others who like to speculate on these things, it's just my personal preference.

However I am mystified by Membrey not being given a game since Buddy has been pretty much Robinson Crusoe in the forward line this year. There must be something I'm missing. He's a big talented guy who would have provided Buddy some valuable assistance until the reinforcements arrived.

agree maybe there's a selector position available at Sydney interested ?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The medical issues are endlessly fascinating, and I assume the medical staff will be extra careful when it comes to someone with Reid's size and talent, as they have been with Goodes. They will not want a Judd-like collapse in the first quarter.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by billyboob View Post
    I didn't say that though.

The point I was trying to make is that the Swans aren't in any position to let the Hawks game have any influence over selection for the Lions game. We need the win over the Lions before any other consideration. If the coaching and medical staff think there is a chance of further injury to any player because of niggles they are carrying then that player is injured and goes on the injured list, they don't get rested just because we're playing a premiership contender the week after.
    No worries billy, I'd guess just about everyone except those who just don't want to listen knew only too well what your point was.

FWIW I agree 100%. The game against Brissy is worth 4 points as is the game against Hawthorn. Why you'd not do all in your power to get those 4 points on offer this week before worrying about how to secure 4 points off Hawthorn mystifies me...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    No worries billy, I'd guess just about everyone except those who just don't want to listen knew only too well what your point was.

FWIW I agree 100%. The game against Brissy is worth 4 points as is the game against Hawthorn. Why you'd not do all in your power to get those 4 points on offer this week before worrying about how to secure 4 points off Hawthorn mystifies me...
    Yep. IMO we lost the 4pts against GWS because we were more focussed on the following week. We can't get those 4pts back, they are gone forever.

Pick the best available every week, resting is what the bye was introduced for.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    ...However I am mystified by Membrey not being given a game since Buddy has been pretty much Robinson Crusoe in the forward line this year. There must be something I'm missing. He's a big talented guy who would have provided Buddy some valuable assistance until the reinforcements arrived.
    Without seeing the Ressie's myself it is hard to know why, is he not doing the defensive pressure thing?
    Maybe the Leadership group need to give Members an honesty session ala Morton?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post

What's the cliche ... "One week at a time" ?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    On Membrey, various bits and pieces over the off-season on the website suggest the club wasn't overly impressed by his fitness level when he returned at the start of the pre-season. If you go back over off-season reports, you will see coaches variously commented on the great pre-seasons of Marsh, Lockyer, Richards, Perris, Lloyd, Robinson, BJ and the new draftees. Can you find any mention of Membrey? I think I actually read a comment somewhere that they'd been disappointed with his starting fitness level, but that might be my imagination.

Did he get a look in during the pre-season games? Nah

What was his early season form like? In the first practice game against GWS he barely touched the ball and looked slow and cumbersome.

To his credit, it looks like he has knuckled down and he looks much fitter now than a while back. Against Gold Coast, he didn't kick a bag but was working up and down the ground, and even played on ball for parts of the second half. The feed of the Brisbane game was too painful to really concentrate on (and stopped at half time) but early in the game he looked dangerous.

I reckon the club is not going to hand him out games lightly. They'll want to make sure his fitness is really up to scratch to play at senior level and that he has performed at a high level in the reserves over a decent stretch of time. If people think he's suited to come in and play the old ROK role (before he became an onballer), they need to remember just how fit ROK was, and how hard he worked.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast