Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Round 7 Changes V Brisbane

I am not surprised to see LRT not in the team. This year he really has struggled to make an impression in a team that has struggled with its own form. I have been a fan of LRT for years and witnessed first hand what a great game he played in 2012, but for a lot of reasons 2014 has not been good for him. I think this will be his last season.

I think that Mitchell should have played in place of Jack and keep him rested for next week.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    The team will be better if we could get Garry Rohan back with confidence. I thought after that preseason game against West Coat that he was primed for a good season.

I look at someone like Ryce Shaw who has supreme confidence in his dashing ability and hope that Garry can find the same confidence. Ryce has pace, but Garry would beat him in a sprint.

I see a future with Garry Rohan, Dane Rampe, Alire Alire and Alex Johnson providing thunderous dash out of the back line and being a very dangerous proposition!
    Matty, maybe he will never deliver his potential given the horrible injury.

Suspended by the MRP
    I think we have seen glimpses that he can recover his best. One or two things a game:

- That first physical contest that he bravely went into against Geelong last year.
    - Those two goals against the Hawks in the final home and away game last year.
    - Performance against the Docker's in the Prelim.
    - Those long goals he hit against West Coast in the pre season game.
    - That goal on the run that he hit against Crows as Sub.

It's two years since the injury and confidence seems to be the impediment. I've heard people say that things get better once the pins come out of the leg. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Rohan's pins may come out at the end of the year?

From my observations Rohan looks like he is finding it hard to get enough ball. I'm not sure if he is reading the play correctly. When the ball is 10 metres near him he seems to make an impact defensively and sometimes offensively.

I'm glad is playing off half back in the reserves. I think that gives him a good starting point. I have proposed before for him to be used as a defensive tagger like Crowley, but I think he still gets nerve pain and as a result the endurance is not there.

He is contracted and it's important for the team that he comes good. A fast team of Cunningham, Rohan, Jetta and B. Jack in form will be a dangerous proposition to go with our key forwards and strong midfield.

I would leave Rohan in the reserves for a while. Give him some time to build up some real confidence in his leg and his ability and when he's kicking down the door, then bring him back. Most players take around two + years to get back to their best after leg breaks , Morris, Barlow etc. some never get back to their best. Gaz has yet to even discover what his best footy is!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Matty, maybe he will never deliver his potential given the horrible injury.
    The Broncos' winger Jharal Yow Yeh was forced into retirement earlier this year due to being unable to recover from a break similar to Gazza's that occurred at a similar time. Very sad as he was a top-notch NRL player. The fact that Gazza is back playing at all is still great news. Give him time.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    You're being really harsh on some players there. It's like you're expecting a team full of Usain Bolts
    Its as if we don't want footballers first and foremost?

I think we have seen glimpses that he can recover his best. One or two things a game:

- That first physical contest that he bravely went into against Geelong last year.
    - Those two goals against the Hawks in the final home and away game last year.
    - Performance against the Docker's in the Prelim.
    - Those long goals he hit against West Coast in the pre season game.
    - That goal on the run that he hit against Crows as Sub..
    There is a considerable difference between a few minutes of brilliance in a game, and playing brilliantly most of the game regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    The Broncos' winger Jharal Yow Yeh was forced into retirement earlier this year due to being unable to recover from a break similar to Gazza's that occurred at a similar time. Very sad as he was a top-notch NRL player. The fact that Gazza is back playing at all is still great news.
    That's a pretty realistic view. Horrific leg fractures unfortunately often change players. Psychologically, physically. Our very own Jamie Lawson of the mid 90s never came back.
    Nathan Brown did resume his career after his fracture at Richomnd, but was never quite the same, slower and always in pain. But commendably, did come back & earned his place in the side.
    As compound tibial fractures are natoriotrously slow & painful healers. Gazz's improvement will hopefully see him worthy of senior selection & earn his place in the side on merit (hard work, ability & performance), but to expect him to realize the potential he had before the break might be a bit much.

It's two years since the injury and confidence seems to be the impediment. I've heard people say that things get better once the pins come out of the leg. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Rohan's pins may come out at the end of the year?
    Firstly pins, plate and/or nails are not always removed. That decision is based on symptoms & healing rates. Secondly removing the metal doesn't guarantee comfort. If the pain is related to neural mechanisms, compartment syndrome, soft tissue trauma to the surrounding muscle or fascia as a result of the initial compound fracture, then taking out metal doesn't change that too much. If the metal is prominent & directly affecting adjacent tissue, removal does help. If the presence of metal is impeding the final part of union & remodeling of the bone (which is evident on x-rays) then removing the metal will potentially aid that too. But there is no certainty it completely relieves comfort levels or improves performance.

He is contracted and it's important for the team that he comes good. A fast team of Cunningham, Rohan, Jetta and B. Jack in form will be a dangerous proposition to go with our key forwards and strong midfield.
    For me it's important that HE gets better. Tibial compound fractures are nasty, life impacting injuries.
    It must be realized he might never be as quick as he was. His agility might be impaired markedly with proprioceptive changes. Only time will tell.
    However a mere mortal Gary Rohan (who never achieves his pre-fracture potential) will hopefully still be worthy of senior selection on his current merits. Give him time, not pressure & expectation.
    Last edited by goswannies; 2nd May 2014 at 10:47 AM.

We're playing the Lions so this is rivalry round?

(lolololol)
    -

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    We're playing the Lions so this is rivalry round?

(lolololol)
    Star Wars round (Sunday, May the 4th - Be With You) ... are they going to put out Star Wars AFL t-shirts, does anyone know??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    You're being really harsh on some players there. It's like you're expecting a team full of Usain Bolts
    I'd settle for the footy smarts of Jude Bolts & Craig Bolts

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Star Wars round (Sunday, May the 4th - Be With You) ... are they going to put out Star Wars AFL t-shirts, does anyone know??
    If it is indeed Star Wars round, it's great to see Jake "Anakin Skywalker" Lloyd get a game during this round. HE should be on a t-shirt for this round!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    That's a clever pun!
    From a parallel universe, live long and prosper.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Was the 2010 shortfall due to Ted being on the fringes rather than injury?
    In 2010 Ted had a real form slump and he went back to the twos and rethought his defensive work. He got footage of all the best key defenders to see where he was going wrong and what they could teach him. He learnt well. He came back with a better attitude and with a much sharper and more comprehensive defensive game.