Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donating our Premiership Club MCG ticket to the refugee resource centre

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar

Donating our Premiership Club MCG ticket to the refugee resource centre

Hi guys

For those who have Premiership Club memberships, you'll be aware that this year it comes with a ticket to one away MCG game of our choice. While the temptation to head down for the Hawks game on July 26 is HUGE, four of us are going to offer ours to the refugee centre in Melbourne.

I thought I'd post here in case some of you think it's a good idea and would also like to do so. To be honest, there's nothing stopping you from ringing any place of your choosing and seeing whether some people far less fortunate would love to attend a game.

We're also going to package our tickets with a Swans scarf, a pre-paid transport card (to cover their travel) and, assuming this is possible, about $40 in MCG vouchers each for food and refreshments on the day. That way, they can attend and not pay a cent while at most it will cost us $60 each.

If you're interested in joining our humble initiative, let me know and I can coordinate on your behalf or provide you with the details to do so yourself. I just need to check on whether we can organise vouchers or credits at the MCG. I'll then order and pay for the Swans scarves and have them, plus the tickets and travel cards etc delivered to the centre within the next two weeks.

There are people around us who will never have the money to attend an AFL game, whether they were born here or abroad. For those who are new to Australia, what better way to break the ice and introduce them to what I think is one of the best things about being Australian.

Cheers everyone and go Swannies!

Dan
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Hi guys

For those who have Premiership Club memberships, you'll be aware that this year it comes with a ticket to one away MCG game of our choice. While the temptation to head down for the Hawks game on July 26 is HUGE, four of us are going to offer ours to the refugee centre in Melbourne.

I thought I'd post here in case some of you think it's a good idea and would also like to do so. To be honest, there's nothing stopping you from ringing any place of your choosing and seeing whether some people far less fortunate would love to attend a game.

We're also going to package our tickets with a Swans scarf, a pre-paid transport card (to cover their travel) and, assuming this is possible, about $40 in MCG vouchers each for food and refreshments on the day. That way, they can attend and not pay a cent while at most it will cost us $60 each.

If you're interested in joining our humble initiative, let me know and I can coordinate on your behalf or provide you with the details to do so yourself. I just need to check on whether we can organise vouchers or credits at the MCG. I'll then order and pay for the Swans scarves and have them, plus the tickets and travel cards etc delivered to the centre within the next two weeks.

There are people around us who will never have the money to attend an AFL game, whether they were born here or abroad. For those who are new to Australia, what better way to break the ice and introduce them to what I think is one of the best things about being Australian.

Cheers everyone and go Swannies!

Dan
    Lovely gesture. I am Melbourne-based with a family package and (unfortunately) we are all going to Sydney for a family wedding on that weekend. I would be happy to lend you my access for two adults and four kids.

However, I think they would need to have our membership cards and I am not sure if I am prepared to pass them over.

Is there any other way I can pass on my entitlements to access that match?

Nice one, and yes you can! I just stumbled upon how to do it when following the instructions emailed by the club on printing these away tickets.

You can print a ticket for any games entitled under your membership. Log into your Swans e account, select the 'view all quick links' drop down on the left, then select 'manage my membership.' Select the month of the game in the top left corner. This will open up a calendar, select the game from the calendar, which will open a pop up. Follow the prompts to issue a ticket for your member pass. It will generate a pdf you can save and email or print.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Danzar, what a terrific idea!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I think it is a wonderful idea, I wish I could do the same.
    If you get any feed back please let us know

Great idea
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

Ok, best I explain my rationale for my choice. I'll use short sentences to be clear.

All I'm doing is sharing the spoils of what I think is a very generous membership package, with a view to finding some new supporters in very unlikely places.

I'm not any of the stereotypes your misinformed post implies I am.

I'll let the refugee centre speak for itself on why I chose them:

"Going to the football is such a great social and cultural experience and one which our members simply cannot afford". No politics in that statement.

I threw in the scarves because I have my own little rule of always buying a swannies scarf for anyone I take to their first game of footy. In this case, I feel I don't have to be there to continue this tradition.

Finally, I also have a view that if you're entertaining guests from a foreign land on your home soil, you make sure they get to where they need to go, are well fed, and they get home.

As I said in my original post, if you think this is a good idea in principle, call whichever centre, church, mosque or organisation you wish.

@@@@, if Vladmir Putin decides to holiday in Melbourne after the G20, give them to him. I'll love you for it, particularly if you get him in a swannies scarf.

Ok, best I explain my rationale for my choice. I'll use short sentences to be clear.

All I'm doing is sharing the spoils of what I think is a very generous membership package, with a view to finding some new supporters in very unlikely places.

I'm not any of the stereotypes your misinformed post implies I am.

I'll let the refugee centre speak for itself on why I chose them:

"Going to the football is such a great social and cultural experience and one which our members simply cannot afford". No politics in that statement.

I threw in the scarves because I have my own little rule of always buying a swannies scarf for anyone I take to their first game of footy. In this case, I feel I don't have to be there to continue this tradition.

Finally, I also have a view that if you're entertaining guests from a foreign land on your home soil, you make sure they get to where they need to go, are well fed, and they get home.

As I said in my original post, if you think this is a good idea in principle, call whichever centre, church, mosque or organisation you wish.

@@@@, if Vladmir Putin decides to holiday in Melbourne after the G20, give them to him. I'll love you for it, particularly if you get him in a swannies scarf.
    Great work Danzar.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Goes up to 11
    Thumbs up from me - I love seeing different faces from different places in a footy crowd. Footy's a simple joy we can all experience together

Thank you for organising danzar

Nice one, and yes you can! I just stumbled upon how to do it when following the instructions emailed by the club on printing these away tickets.

You can print a ticket for any games entitled under your membership. Log into your Swans e account, select the 'view all quick links' drop down on the left, then select 'manage my membership.' Select the month of the game in the top left corner. This will open up a calendar, select the game from the calendar, which will open a pop up. Follow the prompts to issue a ticket for your member pass. It will generate a pdf you can save and email or print.
    Maybe that just works for the away game once its allocated. For the home games, I just get the option of "Sell your products on AUS Sydney Swans Resale". Pity, that would be a nice feature.

Looks as though its stopped raining here.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

congratulations on your generous gesture...what a wonderful idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast