Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: SWANS v giants

Our blokes are getting far too complacent. I agree, a couple of changes. KJ will be out no doubt but I think maybe a few others need a good kick in the duds.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I'll agree that some of mal's kicking was off but have a closer look at his defensive work, especially the contests in tight. He was sensational

Veteran Site Admin
    I suspect most of those complaining about the skill level were watching the game from their couch at home. There was a strong blustery breeze blowing all match - and it picked up in the final term - making it very hard to judge the flight of the ball in the air, and no doubt affecting decisions about where to kick. It might not have been quite at the level of the Geelong game but I think some have been spoiled a little by that. The first three quarters, at least, represented (to me) a committed performance where they fought well for the ball, ran hard and tackled with purpose. Yes, there were odd spots where they dropped off just a little but it got the job done and did nothing to suggest to me we're doomed to struggle next weekend against West Coast.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I'll agree that some of mal's kicking was off but have a closer look at his defensive work, especially the contests in tight. He was sensational
    I'm with Ugg. I thought Mal was very good tonight.

You can't blame the breeze for laying off on the tackle pressure in the last. Some GWS players were given an eternity to kick the ball. We laid 13 less tackles and it showed.

I don't think we'll lose against WC (especially now they've lost a key defender) but we need to lift in terms of disposal efficiency and intensity.

Suspended by the MRP
    We got the four points, but lost the tackle count to GWS. I think Longmire will be disappointed that his team lost his favourite KPI.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Just back from The Riser. A great night out, and while I understand the frustration others have expressed it seemed to me that once they knew they were going to prevail (and for me that was as soon as Shaw went off), they were content to switch to cruise control with occasional bursts.
    It was a very competent show from the team with few outstanding moments, especially Lance, whose combination of skill and effort set him above just about anyone else.
    We will lift for next week, I have no doubt.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I think Longmire is spot on. Nearly every other key stat is dependent on tackle pressure: clearances, turnovers, possessions, disposal efficiency.

Goes up to 11
    Liz beat me to it (and said it better than I could have anyway) - it was really really windy tonight. Doesn't make for pretty footy. We got it done. Easily.

There was an alarming lack of intensity tonight - from the crowd that is. The atmosphere wasn't a shade on the Port game, and the on field action sort of matched too. But we did it easily and looked pretty well organised when it mattered. Mostly.

It was really windy. And cold, by Sydney standards.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post

It was really windy. And cold, by Sydney standards.
    We could tell that from the disconcerting shot of our rugby-loving leader sitting with Grahame Richardson, both wrapped in rugs.

Pretty good effort tonight though not clinical- a 44-point buffer at halftime isn't too shabby.

Malceski's delivery out of the back 50 is really important to the team and you can see the other players dishing off to him.

Kudos to Pyke for his work on Mummy. Goodes is running OK but really seems to struggle off the right boot.

It was far from vintage swans tonight, but 4 more points in the bag and you don't want your best footy being played in june!

Need to play much better next week, but we are on track! Good to see pyke starting to find his rhythm - thought he was good tonight. Grundy not so though - thought he had a shocker!

I watched the Perth derby today and the Eagles were vastly improved...very errant kicking in the 2nd quarter cost them...then in the last they very nearly came back and won against an in form Fremantle....

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I suspect most of those complaining about the skill level were watching the game from their couch at home. There was a strong blustery breeze blowing all match - and it picked up in the final term - making it very hard to judge the flight of the ball in the air, and no doubt affecting decisions about where to kick. It might not have been quite at the level of the Geelong game but I think some have been spoiled a little by that. The first three quarters, at least, represented (to me) a committed performance where they fought well for the ball, ran hard and tackled with purpose. Yes, there were odd spots where they dropped off just a little but it got the job done and did nothing to suggest to me we're doomed to struggle next weekend against West Coast.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast