Page 15 of 90 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: We've had enough McGuire!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I disagree. It's correct to say that Gillian is a Melbourne Establishment guy, but he is a commercial guy who is focused on growing the pie.
    Do you mean growing the Pies?

Warming the Bench
    Am I the only one that reads comments on these articles (never a good idea) and gets unreasonably irritated? just. wanna. argue.
    The number of mad swans haters that read and comment on articles about eddie is incredible. Gonna stick to this forum for a while to calm down

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I disagree. It's correct to say that Gillian is a Melbourne Establishment guy, but he is a commercial guy who is focused on growing the pie.

He would know that Victoria is a mature market for the AFL product. Attendances have been stagnant in Victoria. Growth needs to be driven in the Queensland and NSW markets.

This will be the overriding strategic focus for Gilllion. He will tell his Melbourne mates that unless we grow the game in Queensland and NSW then football in Victoria will be poorer!
    Maybe, I just don't trust him.....

pr. dim-melb; m not f

A Word!

I don't want to be picky but I can't help noticing that people want Eddie reigned in. Eddie already thinks he reigns.

He needs to be reined in, like a runaway horse. Or a donkey.

And it really is a very good move by the development club presidents.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I worry about a casual get-together at Gil's house that only involves Victorian coaches and commissioners. Hard to see them having an interest in "out of Victoria" issues. Eddie would be doing slimey lobbying for his own ends.

It was just the coaches. I don't think they care as much about the Swans as much as the club presidents do. I think the coaches are more acutely aware of the strong operations rather than just financial benefits are the reasons behind the swans success. There are a ton of "superstars" across the list, that's correct. But many of them were low draft picks/upgraded rookies/trades from other clubs. Buddy and Tip were acquired through big money but also through delisting and trading players. I am glad cola is gone, it'll stop the bleating from other clubs. The new COLA should allow us to support rookie and low-pay players adequately to ensure they receive commensurate wages compared to non-NSW players, whilst recognising that over a certain level, cost of living is probably irrelevant ($150k+?). Or even just a direct rent subsidy where the AFL figures out an average acceptable weekly rent standard and tops up any rookie/low-pay player who has to pay over that ie set at $300/wk which the player pays and AFL tops up $50 if their rent is $350.

Quote Originally Posted by cherub View Post
    I worry about a casual get-together at Gil's house that only involves Victorian coaches and commissioners. Hard to see them having an interest in "out of Victoria" issues. Eddie would be doing slimey lobbying for his own ends.
    It was not only Vic coaches that were there. Brenton Sanderson from Adelaide and Leon Cameron were also there. Not sure about any other 'interstate' coaches.

Blog Entries
    Payments to clubs from the 2013 AFL Annual Report

ScreenShot061.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL...l%20Report.pdf

Definitely going to post that on that other site.

Warming the Bench
    Absolutely brilliant news that the four northern clubs are forming an allegiance and fighting back. I feel that this is somewhat of a landmark moment and we may look back on this week, in a few years time and reflect with pride at the way our club has handled itself in such trying times. And bloody hell, how good would a flag be this season?? I'm not getting ahead of myself, but just the thought of taking it out this year, of all years, makes me beam!

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I don't have a massive issue with us only having one first round concession pick (i.e. either a F/S or Academy but not both). We should, however, be able to claim the second if a club does not select him in the first round. This should be standard practice - it provides us with an incentive to make the system work but not an unfair advantage. Abe Davis does not appear a genuine first round pick but if he was we shouldn't be able to select him and Heeney, we would have to choose. Of course we could always tap Abe up to be a right prat at the draft combine ))

I think we need to be conscious of not being greedy here....

As for who we should select, simply whoever is the better footballer. If the other goes in the first round it actually demonstrates the benefit of the Academy System, especially if we took Dunks at F/S and someone else got Mills.
    I agree that there should be some limitations. I don't think it should include F/S though. In my book, F/S should be the same for all clubs. in terms of the academy, I think it would be fair if we were limited to only taking 1 player in say the first 2/3 rounds of the draft. If we wanted to take additional players through the academy, it would require us to trade for additional draft picks in those rounds, which would then allow us to open up an additional pick that could then be used for an academy player.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Struggling to make the connection?
    McGuire - Abbott - Murdoch - Goebbels. Plain as day to me

Tell a lie big enough, and keep repeating it..........................
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan