Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Malceski eyes move to Melbourne Demons

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    There is simply no way goodes should be playing next year. And people should acknowledge this . He is playing on fumes at the moment.
    I agree with this. I still think he is playing well enough to be keeping his spot on the basis that he has that moment or two of brilliance left in him, but I can't him going around next year - and really, as harsh as it may sound to talk about a champion like Goodesy in such a way - but he really would probably be occupying a spot that we could be using to get a younger guy in.

There is only one way to send Goodesy out though that would truly represent a fitting finale to an absolutely sensational career - and that would be as a Triple Premiership Player. That possibility alone should be incentive enough for the other 21 guys to do the utmost to make sure that Goodesy is suitably sent off on the last day in September in absolute style!

As for Mal - it all points to him leaving at the end of the year, if he can find a club willing to throw big $$$ at him for the last contract of his career. In the age of free agency though, what he is doing is clearly what will become the norm - and under the current rules, its hard to argue there is anything wrong with that. Again, lets see if he can't be a Dual Premiership player before that happens
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    To me that article says he's outta here.

He's got our offer but won't sign it and will look at what everyone else puts on the table.

And the quotes from the manager saying it's his last contract.

He ain't staying. Time to go out as a dual premiership player.
    Or it may mean he is waiting to see who retires and what money is available?

He would be on good money, and I can't see why he would need the extra cash in a losing team.

Far better to stay at the swanies for a back to back premiership than risk it all in some other club!
    doof-doof

Veteran Site Admin
    It depends on just what the Swans' offer is and how tight the squeeze is. It is inevitable that we will lose a player or two over the next few years that we would rather keep. Having spent big on Buddy and Tippett and with lots of other players sustaining excellent form, it would be folly to think otherwise. Last year it was Everitt, who was offered some kind of contract but obviously not a particularly generous one. Then there was Lamb, who the club wanted to keep but not at the money he was offered by GWS (great investment they've made there). And Mummy who the club realised from the outset it couldn't get close to matching what he was worth so they didn't even bother to try and make him a sensible offer.

Veterans List
    Roos said on 360 last night that it is amazing how a player at 30+ loses it overnight. Mal has had his best 3 years of his career the last 3 years. He goes to a different environment, different game plan/style, different backline set up etc and who knows whether he can keep up the level of performance. Those who can remember John Pitura who was an outstanding rebounding half back flanker with South, and who went to Richmond for the cash (the first to do so), ended up being an unmitigated failure. I and many South supporters couldn't believe how far he fell.

It doesn't worry me in the least if Mal moves on, but for him it might be the very wrong decision. It would be best to see him go out on top. But money talks all languages.

I'll wish him the best. Always been one of my fav Swans so it'll be disappointing, but I won't be holding a grudge if he leaves.

Hopefully we re-sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    He would be on good money, and I can't see why he would need the extra cash in a losing team.
    Hypothetical ... let's say Cosmic Wizard earns X dollars a year doing whatever his job is. Then CW is told he will only be able to work for 2-3 more years, after which his wage will likely drop. Another employer says "Wiz, we know you can only work another couple of years, we want to have you work for us & give you an extra 30% to do the same job."

Wiz, would you quit for that? Might be worth, say, $100K for Mal & he can also factor in that he has already achieved the ultimate goal. If it was, say, $100K, that'd school a couple of kids for their entire education, great deposit on an investment property etc

(NB: $100K was a made up figure)

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    I'll wish him the best. Always been one of my fav Swans so it'll be disappointing, but I won't be holding a grudge if he leaves.

We're chockful of talent, we're at the top of the premiership cycle and we've made some big signings. We're not going to come out unscathed.

Plus we've gotta make room for Heeney. Where's COLA when you need it?

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post

My sentiments also. If he leaves I hope he gets well rewarded monetary wise.

Two points stand out to me here; One is that the Swans web site makes no mention of it, Two; who told the AFL web site that talks were put on hold?...His manager? That can only be to drum up interest from other clubs....to make it known to all that he may be on the market. Same as Mummy last year we may have put an offer on the table that is below his expectations and he wants to see what else is out there. Probably a good result for us if we can jag a good, development player in return. Maybe we should have thought about trading ROK last year and may have got a good trade...I wonder whether he will attract the same interest after so much time in the two's?

My first post Yah.. Did I sound nervous?? Ok Second post

We need mal to be able to go back to back. So he aint going nowhere

Veterans List
    I hope we can retain him, he is an important part of our success.

He is obviously going to look at other offers, we just need to get close. Can't see how he'd enjoy the avalanche of opposition ball coming his way in a team like Melbourne. One of the reasons Mal looks so good is because of those around him but he will be THE marked man in a weaker team.

Fingers crossed it all works out, otherwise, come on down Jonesy!

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Here's an interesting hypothetical...say Goodes has instructed the club he would like to play on in 2015 barring serious injury, but the only way we can retain Malceski is if Goodesy gets the tap on the shoulder to say his time is up, what would we prefer the club to do?
    We get Buddy to clean him up in the Granny with an elbow.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast