Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show us who's boss

Warming the Bench

Show us who's boss

...Swans chairman Andrew Pridham tells Gillon McLachlan.
    "The AFL should have views on things and they should be strong. We're relying on them to run the game and we can't have a perception that they're running the game for Victorian clubs, or one particular club. They've got to run it for the good of the entire competition."
    Show us who's boss, Swans chairman Andrew Pridham tells Gillon McLachlan | The Grenfell Record

I really like Andrew. He seems like a no-fuss guy, but he doesn't take anything lying down - and he calls a 'spade' a 'front-end loader'. Good on him.

Eddies will have a field day with this. " this blokes been in the job two seconds and he's telling the CEO of the AFL how to do his job, fair dinkum , these Sydney blokes have no shame!" Personally I like it though, good Onya Andrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Eddies will have a field day with this. " this blokes been in the job two seconds and he's telling the CEO of the AFL how to do his job, fair dinkum , these Sydney blokes have no shame!"
    Too right, the confected outrage coupled with a Rudd-like prediliction for gratuitous strine is Eddie to a tee. Ripper.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquirta View Post
    ...Swans chairman Andrew Pridham tells Gillon McLachlan.

Show us who's boss, Swans chairman Andrew Pridham tells Gillon McLachlan | The Grenfell Record

I really like Andrew. He seems like a no-fuss guy, but he doesn't take anything lying down - and he calls a 'spade' a 'front-end loader'. Good on him.
    Of course he is 100% spot on.

We're not asking for anything, we are just asking the AFL to honour their commitment to the game.

And who gives a flying toss what Eddie says in response.

Suspended by the MRP
    I don't know about this.

Gill has just started and does not want to be firing his guns and rocking every boat until he has his bearings. Many CEOs start slowly and get a good feel of there stakeholders before making big decisions.

What Gill does not need is management advice from the Swans President through the media. Leave those conversations on the privacy of the Telephone. Gill will not like this feedback going public.

The article gets the people on red and white excited, but he needs to win the political game at AFL house. I don't think this interview will help us at AFL house.

Along with a no-show to Gill's coaches dinner I think the Swans have started on the wrong foot with Gill.

A bit of Schmoozing and Charm from the Swans would not go astray at AFl House.

I like it.
    If McLachlan doesn't stand up soon, we could be witnessing the beginning of the end for him.
    What do they say when you get sent to jail? go up and smack the toughest guy and let everyone know you won't be anyone's whipping boy...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I don't know about this.

Gill has just started and does not want to be firing his guns and rocking every boat until he has his bearings. Many CEOs start slowly and get a good feel of there stakeholders before making big decisions.

What Gill does not need is management advice from the Swans President through the media. Leave those conversations on the privacy of the Telephone. Gill will not like this feedback going public.

The article gets the people on red and white excited, but he needs to win the political game at AFL house. I don't think this interview will help us at AFL house.

Along with a no-show to Gill's coaches dinner I think the Swans have started on the wrong foot with Gill.

I agree Matt that this should have been a private conversation between Pridham and Gill but I have a feeling that he has already discussed this with Gill but there has been no public comment/support so he is frustrated. And it's not just the academy issue but the cola issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I don't know about this.

Yep, while we all agree with him here at Swans central, making these types of public statements, about how someone else(the boss) should go about their job, is counter productive .
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

You have to get a bit vocal when the leadership is mute on defending important principles and aims of a national league.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I agree that the conversation should have stayed private, but it is not an ideal world atm and it is not a good idea to allow Eddie McLiar sole possession of the media.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I believe that people are missing a point about why Andrew needed to do this interview. I think that he is afraid that some of that mud that Eddie is throwing at Sydney Swans might stuck and people in Sydney (or NSW) start believing that the Swans are doing something against the rules. I'm not sure if Mike Baird is an AFL supporter, I know he was at the GWS game in R15, but all this mud throwing at our club could be used by the government as an excuse to prop another code in NSW instead. I know it looks far fetched, but think about it. Which code now offers pretty even club representation in the league from all states?

After the outrage of the secretive decision to change the draft rules mid-season, his comments were quite measured. He's addressing the underlying issue which is the AFL allowing itself to be directed by McGuire and the other rich clubs. I'm sure he's made the same points privately. By pitching it this way he's also appealing to the middle-ranking and smaller clubs whose concerns about the influence of the large clubs would surely override their misgivings over the academy draft rules. It's in the interest of those clubs to communicate the same message to McLachlan.

Football politics....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast