Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disappointing.

Senior Player
    The only positive is that other spectators are acting on this type of behaviour.

These cowards deserve more than a good frog-marching though. They should be put on an island with all the other Bob Ewells.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Did everyone see the donkey behind the goals waving a wad of cash at Buddy after he kicked a goal? I guess when you watch your team lose every week you gotta do something to keep it interesting.
    Are you sure it was a donkey and not an Ass?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    People have not gotten over the fact he called out a 13yo girl.
    Google "Adam Goodes Sook" if you dare.
    You'll be amazed and shocked by what you read, and sometimes by who wrote it.
    I just looked at some of that stuff. If that is a small sample of the narrow mindedness of our society then nothing will change. He is clearly booed because he is an aboriginal and Australian of The Year. Australian Tea Party, what a "wonderful" sector of our society.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    People have not gotten over the fact he called out a 13yo girl.
    Google "Adam Goodes Sook" if you dare.
    You'll be amazed and shocked by what you read, and sometimes by who wrote it.
    Dont think it will amaze or shock.

This countries acceptance of ingrained racism is beyond belief. Just be amongst a group of people, and mention Adam Goodes, and the response amongst people that you thought were reasonably well balanced and mature is remarkable. Often the responses will be:

"Sticks & stones..."
    "Free speech..."
    "she was 13 years old..."
    "if they don't like it they shouldn't accept our welfare..."
    "Goodes is just a wimp, needs to harden up..."

And on it goes. All are just comments that support what is essentially racism that is ingrained into the thinking of the anglo australian predominately male but a large proportion of females also think like this.

The booing of Adam Goodes at games outside of Sydney is the collective racists method of engaging in racism without actually saying it. The gutless morons wont actually come out and say what they are thinking because they know it has consequences, such as getting thrown out of the stadium, fined or being banned as a member. Much the same as the weak as piss keyboard warriors who spew forth their racial hate all under the protection of anonymity. None will ever put their real name and address to the racist bile they put forward.

Australia is a very racist country and there is a lot of work to be done to correct these racist attitudes.

Like this from McVeigh re Goodes particularly the last part of last sentence:

"We saw the footage 'Horse' (Swans coach John Longmire) showed yesterday of his (Goodes) running (against the Bulldogs) and it was unbelievable.

"He took on a few guys and put 15m on them and got that goal in the goalsquare, so he's still got that speed, he's still got that hunger and he's one of those players you walk taller with when you stand with them in the race."

Have you noticed that Jack and McVeigh have changed the the way they communicate publicly now? There's less reservation and much more openness about being aggressive and confident. I.e Jack in post-match says they want to play for the next 5 weeks (normally 1 week at a time cliche gets trotted out) and Macca says "we want to play a ruthless brand of football". I am liking the confidence.

It's a sad fact of life that prejudice lives in every corner.....

This one's for The Rooster in our team....Prejudice by Tim Minchin - YouTube
    Last edited by ernie koala; 26th August 2014 at 05:59 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Brilliant comment on an article RE racism towards Goodes on The Roar...

Chris Haviland said | August 26th 2014 @ 12:34pm | Report comment

Well written Warren.

The continued booing of Adam Goodes every time he plays in Melbourne is a disgrace, and is unfortunate testament to the insidious influence of the McGuire propaganda machine.

The fact that both Lance Franklin and Lewis Jetta have also been booed at times is evidence of a racist element to it. That is a bad enough look for the game and indeed, Australian society. Our political climate and leaders have much to answer for here, but I will not digress into politics here.

But it is not all about racism. It is clear that the relentless propaganda campaign against the Swans by the Victorian media and many Victorian club officials continues to have an effect. The fact is that, 25 years after the formation of the AFL as a national competition, there is still residual resentment in Melbourne of the national competition, and the fact that non-Victorian clubs have ?taken away? the precious flag from the ?heartland?.

The difference now is that while the teams from SA and WA are at least from traditional footy states and seem to have been more or less accepted, there is still resentment and indeed hatred, certainly disrespect, of teams north of the Murray. This is obviously inflamed by McGuire and other Victorian media types constantly making allegations, mostly false, about the so-called benefits, concessions and advantages enjoyed by first Brisbane and Sydney, and now the new expansion clubs.

It is here that the AFL has failed badly in not refuting claims of favouritism towards Sydney and Brisbane. McGuire campaigned relentlessly against the Lions when they were winning flags, and the AFL eventually caved in. The same has now happened to Sydney over the COLA. The retention and cost of living allowances respectively were entirely justified for all sorts of reasons, and were never an issue until Brisbane and Sydney had the ultimate success. But it is easy for populist, opportunist polemicists like Kennett, McGuire and others to stir up parochial hatred from gullible Victorians when non-Victorian teams are taking away the silverware.

Hence the hysteria and resentment of the Swans since 2012, and the attacks on Goodes and Franklin. Racism is there, but is only part of the story. The worst aspect of all of this is the abject failure of the AFL to act against McGuire for his racist gaffe against Goodes. The message that sends is twofold: that some people like McGuire are untouchable, and that the AFL is not serious about racism.

On top of this, one would think that lovers of AFL footy would be enormously proud of one of the game?s own receiving an award such as Australian of the Year. But it seems that Victorians in general have shown absolute disrespect to Goodes since he achieved this honour. This is what I find absolutely disgusting.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Brilliant comment on an article RE racism towards Goodes on The Roar...

Chris Haviland said | August 26th 2014 @ 12:34pm | Report comment

Well written Warren.

The continued booing of Adam Goodes every time he plays in Melbourne is a disgrace, a....
    Seems a bit unfair to bunch "Victorians" together on this one. Do you think the majority of Victorian footy fans (tautology?) think the way described in the above quote? Wasn't it mentioned that it was Bulldogs fans that pointed out the racist spectator?
    I do agree with the statement that the AFL is weak on this topic. As discussed in other thread, they, the AFL, had the perfect chance to show some strength and resolve on this issue but meekly let the comments slide on through.

I did google "Adam Goodes sook" and couldn't get past the search page. I could see it was just unthinking "keyboard warriors" who have never had to deal with racism the way our indigenous people have.

I keep thinking back to the episode of "Who Do You Think You Are" and wonder how, if any sane person watched this, could they not realise the damage racism can cause.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Yes, I would be wary of conflating racism, which is an affliction of the whole community, and anti-Swans sentiment among AFL followers. It's annoying when people troll about COLA but I can live with that. Racism and racial abuse are just at a whole different level.

What do you expect from the great unwashed. Many of the people who follow the Bullies read the Murdoch press avidly. They listen to shock jocks. What can you expect. I know Footscray is a very multicultural area but many of the older Western Bullies supporters are from a generation who fought that tooth & nail. They are a racist bunch of uneducated scum. I'm not talking about the majority of Bullies fans I am talking about a certain demographic. They read the Herald Sun every day and watch National Nine News and The Bolt Report because all of these espouse their ideals of racism, sexism, homophobia & nationalism.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12