Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: culture

culture

I feel sorry for or paul roos at the moment. A few weeks ago he said melbourne were still scared by tanking. This really meant some in melbourne were talking about doing it again. Low and behold they lose to GWS and ask for a priority pick.

You can understand why he sees them as "them" and not "us". They may be so broken that even he cant fix them.

Must wish hed stayed in sydney.

The problem for a lot of lower placed clubs is that they are focused on getting young players through the draft who are poached away by established clubs as soon as they reach maturity and also offering big payouts to older players in their twilight years, which is short term thinking. What they need to do is trade away some picks and get half a dozen decent players in the 23-26 year range and lock them into career long contracts, then build a club around this core group.

Is it my imagination but I was watching Roos on 360 on Monday night and I noticed that his hair is getting noticeably greyer.

Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    The problem for a lot of lower placed clubs is that they are focused on getting young players through the draft who are poached away by established clubs as soon as they reach maturity and also offering big payouts to older players in their twilight years, which is short term thinking. What they need to do is trade away some picks and get half a dozen decent players in the 23-26 year range and lock them into career long contracts, then build a club around this core group.
    Exactly. Melbourne actually need a few list-cloggers. People they pluck from minor leagues to provide depth and competition for spots. The Laidlers of the world.

Ironically, this is what Richmond did about 3 years ago. They went after a heap of journeymen in that age group just to boost the development of their kids. Most have now left, but they instilled a greater desire to actually win.

To be honest, surely some of these @@@@ kicker melbourne sides must come to the realisation that "youth" is not the road to a premiership. Having the youngest list means nothing.

I don't feel sorry for Roos if, as reported, he's getting $1.6 million pa. He is being extremely well paid to fix the problem.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I don't feel sorry for Roos if, as reported, he's getting $1.6 million pa. He is being extremely well paid to fix the problem.
    Spot on...I still think he's doing it for the money...not because his heart is in it.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

This is a bit off the topic but the saddest thing for me is to see part of the Dees game, see them walk off crest fallen and then to come to the realisation that as a whole those players are receiving the same pay pack as our team. Now that is sad.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Exactly. Melbourne actually need a few list-cloggers. People they pluck from minor leagues to provide depth and competition for spots. The Laidlers of the world.

Ironically, this is what Richmond did about 3 years ago. They went after a heap of journeymen in that age group just to boost the development of their kids. Most have now left, but they instilled a greater desire to actually win.

To be honest, surely some of these @@@@ kicker melbourne sides must come to the realisation that "youth" is not the road to a premiership. Having the youngest list means nothing.
    I agree. The news that they have applied for a priority pick has annoyed me. How many top 10 picks to they need (and subsequently burn) before they understand that a good side is not built on top 10 picks alone? Look at the Swans. We have 3 x Top 10 picks on our list, and one of those came to us via free agency. The media and their supporters seem to think that another couple of top 10 picks will fix their problem - we all know the definition of insanity...

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Paul Roos agrees with you.

Melbourne coach Paul Roos says Demons open to trading draft pick two and priority pick

And Emma Quayle's article is worth a look too. As she points out, Melbourne will likely get pick 2 in the draft, and possibly pick 3 if Frawley goes. Her view is they have a good enough core to enable more success.

Why Melbourne shouldn't get a priority pick
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Roosy reckons he no longer has any emotional attachment to The Swans, but it's taking longer than expected to conjure up an emotional attachment to the D's.

General footy chat is the graveyard for threads.

Mods take note.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast