Page 8 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: List changes and trade bait

Being that Melbourne offered up Pick 2 for Dom Tyson in a year when the draft was pretty highly rated at the top end , I reckon we could actually demand a fair bit for someone like Mitchell. I think everyone here is selling his value a bit short. Kennedy and McGlynn werent actually that highly rated when let go by Hawthorn whereas I think he Swans have a very high opinion of Mitchell. He is not currently in the 22 because of injury not through lack of opportunity.

To be honest Pick 6 for Mitchell isnt really a very good deal unless you had to do it to lighten the salary cap load and Mitchell wanted out anyway. To me its a bit like offerring GWS pick 2 for Tom Boyd.

Melbourne also gave up pick 9 for pick 20 in the Tyson trade, so maybe that comes out to around pick 10 net.

I rate both Mitchell and Bird very highly, but I see them as vying for 1 spot in the midfield. Barring injuries, I don't think both will play in the same side either this year or next and eventually one of them will be traded.

Veterans List
    Higgins and Yarran and let Mitchell go!!! You would have to daft to want that. Higgins is as soft as it gets and slow to boot and Yarran lacks consistency and is as loose as granny's teeth. Why would you fit those 2 into our team when we have plenty of young talent coming through. You just drag the bar down a couple of notches with those 2. I thought we were a hard at it team. Imagine the list manager at the moment listening to and reading the Mitchell chat. Would be ROFLHAO.

Do we not read the posts of the 2's observers who say Mitchell has had a wretched run with injuries. Rattle on as much as you like but my bet is Mitch stays.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Higgins and Yarran and let Mitchell go!!! You would have to daft to want that. Higgins is as soft as it gets and slow to boot and Yarran lacks consistency and is as loose as granny's teeth. ..
    I haven't seen much of either but Yarran's name is being thrown around as All Australian this year and he is only 23yrs old. He, from my limited perspective, would be a good replacement for Shaw. Buuuuutt, like you say, we have talent in the magoo's that needs to be given a chance. Rampe, Biggs and Jones all appear to long term half backs options, working with Smooch, Reg, AJ and Reidy(?).
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

It is a stack of midfielders we will have in 2015 (of high quality)
    you suspect that we wont be able to fit all of them into the cap nor the midfield and probably only one retiring in Pebbles

Age next year:

ROK - 33 (retiring)
    Macca - 30
    McGlynn -30
    Jack - 28
    Kennedy - 27
    Bird - 26
    Jetta - 26
    Hannes - 24
    Parker - 23
    Mitchell - 22
    Lloyd - 22
    Harry - 20
    BJ - 21
    Robinson - 21
    Hewett - 20
    Perris - 20
    Jones - 20
    Heeney? - 19
    Hiscox? - 19

Mills?
    Dunkley?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by andy0414 View Post
    We might have Buddy and Tippet but we will probably not have Goodes next year. As I said Tippet is iffy and if we loose him who takes his place? Reid has shown a lot of potential but is yet to dominate his position in any game. If we picked up a good forward in the draft this year, it would be two years before you could expect them to be a power. Yes it is a gamble but it is about planning for the future and we can afford to give up something in an area were we are strong to boost a potential weakness.
    Don't forget Nank. I see him as our long term replacement for Tippett. Power forward who provides backup in the ruck. Membrey will replace Goodes and I predict naismith will become 'Mummy 2'. I don't believe we need to look at drafting a tall forward for another year or two.

I like him, but 1 Doubt we can afford Yarran , he'd get 500+ on the open market I would've thought. I think people are underestimating the tightness of our cap presently.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I like him, but 1 Doubt we can afford Yarran , he'd get 500+ on the open market I would've thought. I think people are underestimating the tightness of our cap presently.
    We have an improving Rohan to play the Yarran role. Rohans foot skills are not as good as Yarrans, but he is a tougher defender and is much stronger overhead. They both have electric pace.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    We have an improving Rohan to play the Yarran role. Rohans foot skills are not as good as Yarrans, but he is a tougher defender and is much stronger overhead. They both have electric pace.
    Good point - Yarran is definitely someone we don't need. Gazza wins that comparison for mine...

I guess at this time of year managers and journos will bandy the Swans around whenever there is a free agent available or a player possibly up for trade to try to push their price up. I can't see us being able to land any other big fish this year - just perhaps another Laidler-type signing or two.

I think we could do with a Ballantyne-style crumbling small forward. Parker and McGlynn performed this role pretty well last year, but they are winning so much ball in the midfield it would be a shame to move them. Remarkably, Goodes is doing a lot of the crumbling up front with a decent amount of success but I do think the ball sometimes comes out of the forward line a little to easily when it hits the deck. Membrey would seem like a good choice but I'm uncertain about his speed and mobility.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Generally the Swans prefer to play an extra mid at the expense of a small forward to allow us greater numbers around the contests and a higher number of players rotating through the midfield.

Having said that it would be interesting to see what our culture could do with Jeff Garlett...
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Generally the Swans prefer to play an extra mid at the expense of a small forward to allow us greater numbers around the contests and a higher number of players rotating through the midfield.

Having said that it would be interesting to see what our culture could do with Jeff Garlett...
    Garlett will very quickly find himself in Kings Cross and will drag a couple of young blokes with him.

I agree with the policy of having more midfield rotations instead of having a genuine small forward. We have not had a genuine small forward since Trent Dennis-Lane. If Walters and Ballentyne are not effective up forward, Freemantle will be in trouble as they can?t be used in the midfield.

I like the versatility of Cunningham. He can play small forward, midfield, wingman, small defender or run with player. There are options for the coach if one area is not working.