Page 14 of 156 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: List changes and trade bait

It's amazing listening to pre game on SEN - so much talk about Swans and possible trade scenarios - i think after the Buddy coup and how well that was kept quiet it seems that every possible scenario will be thrown out there ala machine gun approach - the common denominator is either Reid or Mitchell - i hope they are embarrassed again in their lack of knowledge on what the swans do - it seems we will never fly under the radar again

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Mitchell will play for reasons which are obvious, as outlined below:

Another little-known groundbreaking approach by Longmire this year, in addition to electric pace, 80 tackles, and the allure of the Bondi Lifestyle, is the placement of our most important player, Kennedy, in our engine room. He is there to get his hands on the ball in packs and extract it out for our outside runners to use. This position requires what is known as 'telepathic hands' - hands that just seem to know where the ball is, how to get it, and how to feed it out to our other players.

Longmire's strategy is to have, where possible, an assignment of two players with telepathic hands in our midfield rotations. As both Kennedy and our other exponent of telepathic hands, Bird, are both out, Mitchell is a sure-fire in this week to help Longmire maintain his successful telepathic hands system.

ps: sources tell me that Kochy has great admiration for the telepathic hands strategy and he will be getting the Power to scout the NAB Draft to obtain a player with such skills, in case they miss out on Mitchell, who has apparently already packed his gear out of his locker at Moore Park and has the removalists truck almost fully loaded....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Seriously - why would we trade 4 players that are critical to our ability to win the flag in 2015 (ignoring the fact that Malceski might choose to leave of his own choice). We have a squad that is clearly already good enough to challenge for the flag - and most at the club would think with what we know is coming, should be good enough for a few years yet. Would seem bizarre to me that anyone would consider doing that, when we are towards the top of the mountain, not well on the way down the other slope.
    If Malceski, Jetta, Mitchell or Smith get trades or are free agents then it's totally an individual decision. I would not be putting them up as trade bait. If they said to the club that they would like a change of scenery or more money then the club should trade them in good faith.

I agree with you re 2015. One thing to keep in mind is that at least three of these players may be two time premiership players by end of 2014. They may look for different things from Football then.

Time will tell.

Damien Barrett said on Thursday night that Mike Pyke still has not come to terms with the Swans.

Any inside information from RWO whether this is because he may not stay in Australia or because he wants more money or longer contract than what the Swans will offer him?

i tend to agree that we are a better team for having a faster midfield in 2014

I would agree that we would have been inferior and probably lost one or two extra games if we went with a slower midfield in 2014

so for me after watching our off season training and the first few games we needed to increase speed...........the opportunity that Harry and Lloyd were given was taken in both hands and ROK has not had a look in

Rohan or Laidler for me could be over shadowed by a superior Mitchell performance this weekend............ but matchups will be the clincher, especially if we want to beat the Hawks or Freeo or Port or North or Geelong in a final............. and the faster endurance players with great decision making have now put massive pressure on the amount of inside players we can have in our 22......

our game has evolved to extremely direct football to one on ones with Buddy, Tip, Reid, Goodes and that has meant that we cant have too many inside players for when we break we break fast via foot generally and that is when our faster endurance players rise to the top and Harry and Lloyd have been very very exciting in their roles this season

That doesnt mean we are going to trade inside players though

And i would not have a clue who our best 22 is in fact i would struggle to say who our best 25 is .......... it will still come down to matchups in every game now that we have 26 to 28 players we can confidently call upon to play their role in any given game........matchups is the most important factor right now

Matt80 i know where you are coming from re how can we afford under the salary cap to carry too many expensive inside players but that doesnt mean we will trade them.......if we have enough development in the other key areas at a reasonable price then we would be mad to let a very very good inside player go (even if he wanted to).

i think most clubs would be happy to let them see out their contract even if that means they will play ressies a lot next season if all are fit............the main reason being is that we never know when we will be struck by injury and if we can afford to keep a mitchell why wouldnt we sure up our depth in this massively important area of inside football domination

I say no trade unless sal cap is a major major problem
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Rimours are just rumours. At worst wemight lose one player.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Damien Barrett said on Thursday night that Mike Pyke still has not come to terms with the Swans.

Any inside information from RWO whether this is because he may not stay in Australia or because he wants more money or longer contract than what the Swans will offer him?
    This article by Andrew Wu on 23 August is the most recent I've read with relevant information. He claims the Swans had offered Pyke a one-year deal at the start of the season, which was rejected, but are now willing to offer a two-year contract with negotiations going on in regard to remuneration.

He doesn't believe Pyke's management has been talking to other clubs.

Sydney Swans closer to re-signing ruckman Mike Pyke | St George & Sutherland Shire Leader

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    This article by Andrew Wu on 23 August is the most recent I've read with relevant information. He claims the Swans had offered Pyke a one-year deal at the start of the season, which was rejected, but are now willing to offer a two-year contract with negotiations going on in regard to remuneration.

He doesn't believe Pyke's management has been talking to other clubs.

Sydney Swans closer to re-signing ruckman Mike Pyke | St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
    I don't think staying in Oz is a problem. Pikey became an Aussie citizen this year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Rimours are just rumours. At worst wemight lose one player.
    So true. Just two days ago robbo said on afl 360 that he thought st Kilda would get Jonathon Patton In exchange for number 1 draft pick. Yesterday it was announced Patton has resigned to gws for another 2 years.

Rumours are rumours.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    So true. Just two days ago robbo said on afl 360 that he thought st Kilda would get Jonathon Patton In exchange for number 1 draft pick. Yesterday it was announced Patton has resigned to gws for another 2 years.

Rumours are rumours.
    Robbo must be a fool - given he has gone down with another ACL injury, there was no chance any of the Melbourne clubs would try to trade for him. Rumours have been going around saying pick 1 for Boyd - maybe that's what Robbo meant to say lol.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Robbo must be a fool - given he has gone down with another ACL injury, there was no chance any of the Melbourne clubs would try to trade for him. Rumours have been going around saying pick 1 for Boyd - maybe that's what Robbo meant to say lol.
    No. It was a two minute exchange about Patton. My point being that rumours are meaningless

pr. dim-melb; m not f

An Object Lesson in How to Acquire Players Cheaply

Garry Lyon picks an Alternative All Australian team from player transfer bargains:

Stefan Martin and Anthony Miles head hidden gems in Alternative All-Australian team

Four Swans included; guess who.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)