Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No reception for fans in Sydney

Senior Player

No reception for fans in Sydney

The club said there would be no reception of the players for fans in Sydney if we lost.
    Any idea why , given that was not the case in 2006 ?
    To me , it reinforces the Sydney (city) stereotype of acknowledging only winners.

Happy and I know it
    The 2006 reception at the SCG after the loss was a pretty feeble affair so I understand why they aren't having one this time. We were there but the players were shattered and there wasn't much to celebrate. I'd rather they focus on the future at a fan day before the season next year.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Veterans List
    I think also because a lot of the swans fan from Sydney are in Melbourne and are travelling back.

I went to Albert Park to see them this morning. The boys were shattered.

Missed opportunity to give them a earful for such an insipid performance.

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Missed opportunity to give them a earful for such an insipid performance.
    They are all here at the virgin lounge looking pretty shattered.... a sad sight indeed.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I think also because a lot of the swans fan from Sydney are in Melbourne and are travelling back.

I went to Albert Park to see them this morning. The boys were shattered.
    And hopefully....ASHAMED!!!

I would like to know why they weren't "shattered" at qtr time or at the very least half time yesterday when they could have done something about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I would like to know why they weren't "shattered" at qtr time or at the very least half time yesterday when they could have done something about it!
    That's what I wonder as well Jewels - they seemed to be fired up for about 5 minutes after half time then that was it. The lack of intensity, on the biggest day of the year, was unforgivable.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Something about assuming they didn't really care/try doesn't sit well with me. No one dreams of playing on Grand Final day and dedicates their entire life to getting there and doesn't care when it's slipping away. I have no doubt that they were shattered inside already, the team more so than every single one of us. I don't know what the problem was, but lack of care wasn't it.

I was very disappointed at the game on Saturday. But for me, I feel for the guys. IMO, no player, at any level of football (let alone an AFL player) ever doesn't care about a grand final or aims to lose one. They all know that the opportunity to play in a grand final is rare, and to win one is probably twice as rare. While we, as supporters, hurt and hurt badly, those players hurt for themselves, for the Club, for their closest people and for their fans. They will live with that game for the rest of their lives. Some might have the opportunity to redeem themselves. But there is never a guarantee that will happen. Those that don't, will bear the burden of that loss for eternity. I went to the function on Sunday at the Lake in Melbourne and I would personally like to thank the Swans for taking the time to spend time with grieving fans. They were professional and curteous, apologetic and optimistic. I left sad, lamenting an opportunity lost, but filled with hope for 2015. Thanks to the 22 players and John for taking the time for those who attended the function in Melbourne. I will hurt for you and with you, but will support you regardless.

Because there's no point in sprinkling fairy dust over your children.

If you win a race, you get a ribbon.

These days, all the kiddies have to have a ribbon for just participating.

Get stuffed. They didn't deserve to be received like "champions".

They weren't.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

, sorry, I had to laugh. This is the funniest thing somebody said since Saturday. I feel better now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast