Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: 2014 AFL Draft

Pushing for Selection
    Plus Mitch Morton's brother Cale Morton and both sons of former Swan Merv Neagle, Jydon and Jay Neagle.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Jydon? WTF is that for a name?
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by robamiee View Post
    Tom Harley said they see him as more a versatile player prob from HBF through to wing and midfield type role... so maybe they view him as a take the game on approach out of th half back line
    I read that. But if that is the case why would they choose a player who "needs to work on the defensive side of his game".

Interesting read on rose from Chris25; 2014 South Australian Draft Prospects | BigFooty AFL Forum.

This comment from Skippos on BF who usually knows his stuff and is from SA.
    I'd come in here to comment on Rose and see I've already been mentioned. Thanks for the kind words Membling

You've got a keeper here in Rose. I mightn't have been as complimentary of him as I could have been in my profiles and rankings but this is the perfect club for him. I've followed Rose closely this year and have been privileged to see him do things that we wouldn't have seen in highlights.

He'll buy in to your culture - he's a kid from one of the top schools in Adelaide but not one of the pretentious all boys schools that get a bad wrap here. He's an educated and smart kid, got reasonable leadership and great application. He leaves everything on the field - he'll work for the team and his teammates will know that when they go into battle, Rose is coming with them. Never need to worry about him taking the soft option. As a bloke he'll develop into a good team man. He's perhaps a little young now - maybe more so than most draftees; I still feel he's a kid not a man but it shouldn't take long for him to adjust.

He's not Membrey. Not close. I'd take 10 James Roses before I took a Membrey. Rose is a brilliant pound for pound contested grab. He hits the ball hard, he leads so hard and steamrolls anything in his way. He's a good shot for goal and a smart forward. His leads are incredible really. He doesn't have a burst but he's capable of leading so hard for so long he burns off his opponent. He hits the red zone in a short term burst and just keeps going - a bit like Nick Riewoldt at times with regards to that extreme mental ability to run so hard to take one mark. Up the ground he's a composed and poised natural footballer. He's not an incredible athlete nor are his skills elite but his natural footballing ability allows him to be a capable option off a wing or in defence.

He's a keeper boys.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    This comment from Skippos on BF who usually knows his stuff and is from SA.
    I'd come in here to comment on Rose and see I've already been mentioned. Thanks for the kind words Membling

You've got a keeper here in Rose. I mightn't have been as complimentary of him as I could have been in my profiles and rankings but this is the perfect club for him. I've followed Rose closely this year and have been privileged to see him do things that we wouldn't have seen in highlights.

He'll buy in to your culture - he's a kid from one of the top schools in Adelaide but not one of the pretentious all boys schools that get a bad wrap here. He's an educated and smart kid, got reasonable leadership and great application. He leaves everything on the field - he'll work for the team and his teammates will know that when they go into battle, Rose is coming with them. Never need to worry about him taking the soft option. As a bloke he'll develop into a good team man. He's perhaps a little young now - maybe more so than most draftees; I still feel he's a kid not a man but it shouldn't take long for him to adjust.

He's not Membrey. Not close. I'd take 10 James Roses before I took a Membrey. Rose is a brilliant pound for pound contested grab. He hits the ball hard, he leads so hard and steamrolls anything in his way. He's a good shot for goal and a smart forward. His leads are incredible really. He doesn't have a burst but he's capable of leading so hard for so long he burns off his opponent. He hits the red zone in a short term burst and just keeps going - a bit like Nick Riewoldt at times with regards to that extreme mental ability to run so hard to take one mark. Up the ground he's a composed and poised natural footballer. He's not an incredible athlete nor are his skills elite but his natural footballing ability allows him to be a capable option off a wing or in defence.

He's a keeper boys.
    Well that sounds a bit exciting. If that potential transcends into the elite level he should be fantastic. Sounds like a forward, but with our abundance of forwards, he might be developed off the half back line, a la Malceski, to hone his defensive skills? Then let loose on the forward line when Goodesy and others drop off. Just a thought......

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    From those highlights, his kicking is really poor and his decision making under pressure was also poor.....High floaters that were rarely to his intended target's advantage.

I can't see him playing as a halfback, without dramatic improvement in his kicking and decision making.

On the upside, he certainly plays with attacking intent, seemed to have pretty good acceleration off the mark, has good strong hands...And leads, jumps and marks well.

So plenty to work with....Over to you Crouchy and co.
    Ernie i realise above you covered a lot Rose's positive attributes as well as your concerns........but I did watch the video a second time after your comments and I saw two long kicks down the line to a pack that could have been better and one miss at goal and one hurried hand pass inside..........the remaining involvements (close to 20) in the video were very good.......ie kicking at goal to win the game with 20 seconds to go........his fast hand passing to inside players and willingness to give and go and go again......for me i can see a nice compliment to our squad and agree it will be time learning his trade at the Swans with crouchie
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

James Rose - 2014 Draft Prospect | BigFooty AFL Forum

James Rose
    Height: 186cm
    Weight: 78kg
    Position: Forward?

He might not be one of the bigger name players in the South Australian squad, but James Rose is one player who may attract some attention from clubs as we get closer to the draft. And as everyone knows about the top guys, it's only fair that the second and third tier players get a bit of a wrap too.

Relatively speaking, Rose is a bit of an unknown to those outside of South Australia - and even to some of those in South Australia. As a private school kid, he split his playing time in 2013 between the SANFL U18s for Sturt and the Messenger Shield for Scotch College. But at both levels, he did the same thing - kick goals. And for Sturt, he finished with 30 goals from his 9 games. Only once did he go goalless, and in three matches Rose finished with hauls of 5 goals or more. Coming into the 2014 season, he impressed training alongside the seniors and has made his Reserves debut between state commitments - having also played three of the four games for SA at the U18 Championships.

For most part of his career to date, Rose has played as a medium forward. Earlier on in 2013, he tended to play deep and while he was kicking 3-4 goals a game, he wasn't really getting much more of the ball. However, he improved as the season went on and worked up more around the half forward line. In his last game for Sturt in the Reserves, Rose finished with 18 disposals and 5 marks to go with a goal - with similar stats in two of his three games at the Championships so far. And his Round 1 against WA was a perfect microcosm of him as a player.

Marking and his general attack on both the ball and contest are the hallmarks to his game. He leads straight at the ball carrier, marks at the highest point and tends to beat his opponent more often than not in the air. And while he isn't the tallest player going around, he isn't afraid to run through anyone in his way. His disposal is also one area of his game that will attract attention, while he wont be kicking 60m bullet passes he is neat over 50m and doesn't make too many errors. He translates that across to his goal kicking too. And when the ball hits the ground? Well, he is pretty good there too. For a player of his type, he has good agility - which is often an area that lets these 185-190cm forwards down. And endurance wise, he certainly looks to have improved and if past results are anything to go by, he should be pushing for a beep test of around level 14 come draft screenings.

So why isn't James Rose a household name? There are probably three reasons that I can think of - speed, versatility and competition. He isn't slow by any means, just wont be burning off his opponents. And that lends itself to the third reason, and that's the fact that there is plenty of competition from other similar players. And if you have the choice between a fast medium forward and an average speed one, you tend to take the faster one. Also, there are just so many of his type in U18 football, AFL lists and playing in the state leagues - so many, that only the best make it. And lastly, his versatility in being able to impact further up the ground could be questioned. He has certainly improved since the start of last season, but you wouldn't be pencilling him in as part of the midfield rotations quite yet.

There are a few players you could perhaps compare Rose to. Is he a poor mans version of Christian Petracca? Maybe he develops into a forward like Tom Lynch from Adelaide? Or, a team might consider switching him to the back lines, where he could become a Clancee Pearce type. What happens in November is anyone's guess. His draft range could be anywhere from James Sicily (third round) to Luke Reynolds (rookie draft). But he has shown enough to suggest he'd be worth a shot, and at worse will be a good state league player for some time.

I saw that Rose was flown to Sydney on Tuesday. How many other players got this treatment, I wonder? It probably does not matter. He would have indicated if he felt comfortable with Sydney selecting him. Our people can see the data, see the footage so Tuesday was obvious to see if the person/personality was a good fit. We selected him so enough said.

does anyone know how to find James Rose combine stats and also Davis etc

ie they indicated in one of the articles that he would be 14 beep test etc

Draft Combine - AFL.com.au

i could only find this summary of 2014 vs years gone past

and this one top ten only

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-0...-draft-combine

2014 NAB AFL DRAFT COMBINE STANDOUT RESULTS

3km time trial (minutes : seconds)
    Jack Hiscox 9:18
    Tom Lamb 9:45
    Alex Neal-Bullen 9:54
    Billy Stretch 9:57
    Nathan Drummond 9:59
    Josh Deluca-Cardillo 10:07
    Daniel McKenzie 10:07
    Connor Menadue 10:07
    Liam Duggan 10:11
    Jack Steele 10:11

Hiscox breaks all-time endurance record

Beep test/shuttle run (level)
    Caleb Daniel 16.1
    Jack Hiscox 16.1
    Nathan Drummond 15.9
    Tom Lamb 15.5
    Ed Langdon 15.3
    Jarrod Garlett 15.2
    Alex Neal-Bullen 15.2
    Jason Castagna 15.2
    Billy Stretch 15.1
    Jack Steele 15.1
    Jordan Cunico 14.12
    Christian Petracca 14.12

Click here for full draft and combine news

Kicking test (score out of 30)
    Nakia Cockatoo 29
    Daniel Howe 28
    Kyle Langford 28
    Toby McLean 27
    Michael Mattingly 27
    Nathan Drummond 27
    Dean Gore 27
    Brett Eddy 27
    Clem Smith 26
    Liam Duggan 26
    Brayden Maynard 26
    Jack Steele 26
    Ed Vickers-Willis 26
    Mitch McGovern 26

How do the combine tests work and who are the record-holders?

Clean hands test (score out of 30)
    Nathan Drummond 26
    Paddy Brophy 26
    Reece McKenzie 26
    Tyler Keitel 26
    Dougal Howard 26
    Michael Mattingly 25
    Brett Eddy 25
    Caleb Daniel 25
    Jake Johansen 25
    Jarrod Garlett 25
    Brydan Hodgson 25