Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
When core executives leave one business to work at another business they very often take key clients and personnel with them. It happens routinely in the advertising, accounting and consulting industries. It's especially likely to happen if the executive has been kicked out the door of the organisation that he has devoted the best part of 20 years of continued service. Paul Roos has every right to go after and take the best assets of the Swans. "That business". "This is Business".
I agree that that is business. However, in business you are normally required to sign a restraint of trade clause prior to employment. It's enforcability depends on the exclusiveness of the industry and the period of the restraint amongst other factors. I'm currently suing an ex-subcontractor for stealing a client from me. It's a clear cut case that we should win. I would think it unlikely that a restraint of trade clause would stand up in the AFL however as it is the nature of the industry that people move between clubs.

You also need to get this idea out of your head that the academy's success is solely because of Roos. Roos was paid extremely well for his work and a lot of other people worked within the academy as well.