Page 93 of 95 FirstFirst ... 438389909192939495 LastLast
Results 1,105 to 1,116 of 1132

Thread: 2015 academy discussion thread (with some FS thrown in for good measure)

If the talent dries up in the next couple of years is the academy worth pursuing considering how much it is costing us annually?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    If the talent dries up in the next couple of years is the academy worth pursuing considering how much it is costing us annually?
    Definitely worth pursuing...we are only at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to developing local talent.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Wash you mouth out young lady

My answer is absolutely it should be. Both Heeney and Mills would not be the players they are without the academy and Heeney probably would be playing another sport.

It's got to be a long term project and it is essential for us to get our home grown content up to the 60-75% we need to have to offset the loss of COLA and offset the go home factor.

I also have huge faith the ability of the academy to generate the talent it needs to and it also provides a huge community engagement factor.

I would also think the vast majority of the costs of the academy would be covered by QBE's sponsorship much lik the Lions have their acaademy sponsored by Hyundai

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

My answer is absolutely it should be. Both Heeney and Mills would not be the players they are without the academy and Heeney probably would be playing another sport.

It's got to be a long term project and it is essential for us to get our home grown content up to the 60-75% we need to have to offset the loss of COLA and offset the go home factor.

I also have huge faith the ability of the academy to generate the talent it needs to and it also provides a huge community engagement factor.

I would also think the vast majority of the costs of the academy would be covered by QBE's sponsorship much lik the Lions have their acaademy sponsored by Hyundai
    I liked the 'young' lady in your post although it definitely does not apply to me. I agree with all you have said by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

We need the academy . We dont have a TAC Cup or anything along those lines so you need a pathway for kids in NSW otherwise the talented kids will explore sports that offer that type of thing here. No point having a talented sportsman just playing well in local competition each week with no other form of "higher" level to aspire to other than an off chance they may make the RAMs team one day (which is dominated by riverina kids anyway )

The academy is an absolute must, it:
    is improving the level of junior footy in Sydney,
    is improving the standard of U/19's footy in Sydney,
    will start to improve the level of senior footy in Sydney,
    provides a clear pathway for kids to aspire to.
    And if occasionally it spits out a Heeney or Mills along the way, that is a bonus.
    The Swans don't look at it that way though, their aim is to get 1 draftable kid each year.
    I just hope the Swans/AFL don't ignore the flow on benefits to the local comp.

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au It's also a really good opportunity to make AFL their first sport rather then NRL which is in decline now and bring more fans to the games and grow our supporter base and get rid of the perception that it is ariel ping pong.

- - - Updated - - -

Crowd figures this year have dropped by an average of 1,473 a game to 15,404, which is the lowest since 2004. (NRL)

In comparison, AFL�s crowds this year are averaging 33,618, down just 312 on last year�s 33,930 average.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    We have to wait for the 2018 draft. A great indigenous kid from Kempsey, Shaydon Close, moving to Sydney to go to school at Endeavour Sports High School, with another good kid Chris Holten, and continuing with the Swans Academy.

Shaydon was selected for the Flying Boomerangs U15s and yesterday kicked 4 goals in a fair game against a multicultural academy in Victoria.

I don't think that Shaydon will grow too much, but I have never seen a young player looking very similar to Cyril Rioli with Shaydon. He change direction at full speed and can find 4 different exits in a phone booth with the ball.

I know that 3 years as a long time, and plenty of water under the bridge, but he is the most exciting junior player I have ever seen.

I hope to see him in the National U16s next year and confirming the potential that he has.

Veterans List
    This is where the Academy is so valuable, it will ensure that talented kids like Shaydon get the assistance and development they need to make it into AFL players.

We really have been very lucky getting Heeney and Mills in successive years. That won't be the norm but with the generous discount for players after the first round, we should see a steady stream of academy draftees, hopefully a few KP players amongst them.

Whatever happened to 6'2, 220, 4.53? I would have expected some insights from him here, but I haven't seen a post from him in ages

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    This is where the Academy is so valuable, it will ensure that talented kids like Shaydon get the assistance and development they need to make it into AFL players.

We really have been very lucky getting Heeney and Mills in successive years. That won't be the norm but with the generous discount for players after the first round, we should see a steady stream of academy draftees, hopefully a few KP players amongst them.
    2018 could be seeing us draft this kid and Tyrell Mayfield.

We get a four year headstart on getting these kids integrated into an AFL programme too. A lot of this work needs to be quite secret squirrel too as I don't think other clubs really realise how much of an advantage this will give us.

And the great thing is, if we know these kids are going to be guns and that 2018 is a bumper crop we can start our planning in 2017 by trading out a future pick or a player for a future pick/ The advantages in terms of list management are enormous.

But I'm also comfortable with us having a couple of modest crops in 2016 and 2017 just to take a bit of oxygen out of the debate

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Whatever happened to 6'2, 220, 4.53? I would have expected some insights from him here, but I haven't seen a post from him in ages
    N0ot sure what Matt is up to...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    The academy is an absolute must, it:
    is improving the level of junior footy in Sydney,
    is improving the standard of U/19's footy in Sydney,
    will start to improve the level of senior footy in Sydney,
    provides a clear pathway for kids to aspire to.
    And if occasionally it spits out a Heeney or Mills along the way, that is a bonus.
    The Swans don't look at it that way though, their aim is to get 1 draftable kid each year.
    I just hope the Swans/AFL don't ignore the flow on benefits to the local comp.
    I think the Swans see it as providing huge community engagement as well

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Suspended by the MRP according to his profile. He slipped away quietly. Wonder if 6'2 had the same ISPN as M80 or why he was suspended ...