Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NAB Challenge Pride Match - Sydney v Freo

Senior Player

NAB Challenge Pride Match - Sydney v Freo

I haven't seen it reported anywhere yet (apart from the NAB Intranet), but the Sydney v Freo NAB Challenge match will be the first AFL Pride match, raising awarenes of the LGBTI community
    Sydney Swans ruckman Mike Pyke said equality throughout the community and in sport is something we should all strive for.

�We think the Swans provide a really inclusive environment for fans at our games and we know we have significant support from the LGBTI community,� he said. "This is just another way of getting the message across that professional sport encourages an inclusive environment.�
    Update: found a report - http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl...-1227248255109

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    ...the Sydney v Freo NAB Challenge match will be the first AFL Pride match, raising awarenes of the LGBTI community
    I think these kind of initiatives are hugely important for the Swans and AFL.

Just as the Swans Academy brings juniors into the game that might otherwise play Rugby, Soccer, etc, this too will encourage some boys to continue to play AFL where they might otherwise drop out due to feeling like they dont belong - or worse, that a culture develops within a team where they are not welcome.

And its pleasing is see how the drive for equality is being proactively led by the Swans players rather than just administrators. In particular, Mike Pyke's done a lot for equality in sport. No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

Yet another reason why Im proud to be a Swans member.

Yep, good bloke is Mike Pyke. So pleased he is a Swan.

I think it is a fantastic idea and I hope the Swans stay involved with it in the long term
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Yah proud Sydney are in the inaugural pride cup game. Good on both clubs for putting themselves out there

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    I haven't seen it reported anywhere yet (apart from the NAB Intranet), but the Sydney v Freo NAB Challenge match will be the first AFL Pride match, raising awarenes of the LGBTI community

Update: found a report - AFL set to launch gay pride game to tackle homophobia during NAB Challenge
    They call him Martin Pyke at the end of the article :-/

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    They call him Martin Pyke at the end of the article :-/
    Haha it made me chortle!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Really happy that this is happening and that the Swans are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yep, good bloke is Mike Pyke. So pleased he is a Swan.
    I wonder if his parents really knew what they were doing when they named him? Maybe it was just a mistake and didn't realise until they stated calling him Mike.

Senior Player
    St Kilda are lobbying for an annual Pride Match - apparently will be at Etihad every year against the Swans
    St Kilda lobbying the AFL to host annual gay pride game for premiership points

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Does anyone else think that the Syd/Freo pride match seems condescending? Doesn't involve any big Melbourne clubs and is one of only 5 of 26 games that isn't being televised.

Seems more like a token gesture rather than a genuine effort...hopefully the pride match for premiership points becomes an annual event sooner rather than later.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

For all their problems, St Kilda do appear to be working hard on improving their culture. Having the AFL's first woman coach (highly-qualified, nonetheless) is a significant step for their club and the AFL to become more inclusive and demonstrate equality.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast