Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 3 V GWS

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    You say can't afford to lose pace and yet you drop a pacy forward. Just astounding the logic on here. Benny was sent to the mids because he wasn't generating enough goals. Good defensive pressure but not quite enough scoring for a permanent forward, 3x30 and 24 in the last 4 years. We are now looking at a very different forward set up than when Benny played forward. The idea is to develop players like Towers, Heeney & Rohan to put a lot of forward scoring pressure on while working hard the other way. The resting mids also go forward as well with Kizza, Joey, Parks, Macca and Birdie all causing probs.

I like the move of using Heeney, Rohan & Macca in a three way half forward, half back and mid rotation like Horse did on the weekend. Rohan half forward/back & wing, Heeney half forward/back and mids and Macca the same. Jetts also rotated in and out of the backs. Very clever. It keeps the opposition guessing.

If anyone goes out it would have to be Goodsie I'm sorry to say. Everybody else has played really well and Goodsie hasn't exactly been inspiring so far. Benny should have to earn his spot anyway as far as I'm concerned he is not a walk up. He hasn't played much of the prseason and is only just getting match practice now. I'm a bit sick of the attitude that any player is a walk up, they aren't anymore. In the old days that was the case, even as close as 2003 but not now. Too much depth.

But I would not make any changes and keep Goodsie sub. If there were a change to get game time into the old fella then Mitchell in Goodes out. Benny doesn't seem ready yet after only 20 in the reserves.
    Agree, McGlynn is no walk up start. I think we have other players who can keep him out. Another who was inglorious in the GF, his last senior game.

Thunderstorms now and forecast for Saturday is 27 with "rain developing".

Looks as though there may be a chance for some wet weather training on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Agree, McGlynn is no walk up start. I think we have other players who can keep him out. Another who was inglorious in the GF, his last senior game.
    I'd agree with MyGlynn needing to force his way in.

My gut tells me that McGlynn and Mitchell have to be in our best 22 somewhere. The only other players I see at this stage who could demand selection any time soon are Zak Jones, maybe BJ and possibly Naismith. Indeed if Zak Jones is looking at a new start we would be well advised to give him a few starts and get him in the shop window so to speak, form permitting.

Goodes is shot, it's just a matter of how his demise is handled. That leaves who we drop. I rate Laidler and I like Towers' honest play but they strike me as being the players who are really playing for their spot every week.

It's a great position to be in

agree re depth

But I must say a Ben McGlynn is a nice addition in a slug fest game against our cross town rivals
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    agree re depth

But I must say a Ben McGlynn is a nice addition in a slug fest game against our cross town rivals
    Or Mitchell, given the increased emphasis on our tackling surely he must be close to a start?

Trust Horse of course, I would expect that once he gets a chance that he will have an extended run in the seniors. There will unfortunately probably be some injuries so it's good to have these issues at this stage, in fact it would be a worry if we didn't

Goes up to 11
    Anyone know how much we'd be paying Goodsey this year?

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Or Mitchell, given the increased emphasis on our tackling surely he must be close to a start?

Trust Horse of course, I would expect that once he gets a chance that he will have an extended run in the seniors. There will unfortunately probably be some injuries so it's good to have these issues at this stage, in fact it would be a worry if we didn't
    I remember hearing last year from inside the Swans camp that they were working hard on his ability to run both ways and tackle and that was what was keeping him out of the seniors. The inference was that he racks up the numbers but wasnt very accountable yet.

Cunningham and McGlynn in an extended bench.

Bird and Towers out on Friday.

Goodes to start, have a blinder

Then retire

Rod_

For the first time ever Towers actually beat some players with his speed and skill. Also still got knocked off the line way too easily but he was a genuine contributor and we have actually seen how he may have been the VFL's best player 3 years ago.
    Must not be dropped. As long as there is some possibility that he could continue to develop into a Premiership important player then he must stay on the park. Previous poster made good call in that we are looking for a Bruest type and Towers is showing more of that than Cunningham at the moment. Of course the best call would have been to pick up Bruest when he was available to us as a NSW rookie selection. Oops.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    A mate of mine had an encounter with Goodes a couple of years ago that has soured my opinion of him completely. I would need legal advice, and the mods' blessing, before I would talk about it on here, so it gives me great pleasure to see his bursting at the seams ego being hurt on the sidelines, but I think he can still have a positive impact with the team.
    This sounds more like a Bay13/Big Footy post than RWO.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Tower's was the VFL's best 'young' player.

And I completely disagree RE McGlynn only playing midfield because he wasn't kicking enough goals. He was playing midfield because he had a massive pre-season, got himself extremely fit and gave us extra rotations through there. Towards the latter stages of last year there were commentators (Garry Lyon specifically) who were saying they wouldn't be surprised to see him in the 40 man all-Australian squad. His pressure at the contest, gut running, ability to play a run with role and his impact on the scoreboard are all valuable assets to our team and I believe he is comfortably in our top 10-12 players.

Having said that, given he was 'managed' in the reserves last week they may want him to play some more minutes at NEAFL level before bringing him straight in. Goodesy has been my favorite player ever since his first season but at the moment I think we would be a much stronger team with McGlynn in and Goodes out. Our best football is played when our pressure is bordering on maniacal and he is the only one that struggles to contribute in that sense.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Senior Player

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast