Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 5 V Western Bulldogs

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I too miss Matt80, although the way he flogged his hobby horses was tiresome. Some of his comments were spot on and he as painful as he was about Mitchell, he was right for a very long time.

I was surprised to se McGlynn omitted - perhaps they feel he is a bit underdone? Glad to see Mitchell get his chance though - I hope he kills it.
    Got to say it, but was it a bad move by Horse to bring a player back from injury with no game time against one of the gun sides???

I think yes!
    doof-doof

We know Goodes won't be the sub so it is possible I guess. I doubt Mitchell has been picked to be the sub though. Having said that, Towers would be a bit stiff to be in the role having been sub then emergency in the last two games.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Don't really get the criticism of Pyke. He's no world beater but he's more than handy. Mumford has been dominating this season for the Giants but had probably his quietest game against us. Coming up against Sandilands is always difficult due to his height and size, but I thought Pyke did a decent enough job against him too.
    I'm pro-Pyke. He's a great number two ruckman being asked to be a competitive number one ruckman. After his breakout year in 2012, his best footy was probably in 2013 as a pinch hitting alternative forward option, backing up Mummy in the ruck. With the relative less pressure & expectation off in that role, he was the second best contested mark in the comp, kicked 25 goals (he wasn't a bad set shot, at almost 80% efficiency). He's still a competitive ruckman & our mids play to him well but are good enough to read opposition rucks if they are on top of Mike. For mine, he does his job.

He's also still the greatest ever Canadian-Australian footballer in the history of the VFL/AFL!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Don't really get the criticism of Pyke. He's no world beater but he's more than handy. Mumford has been dominating this season for the Giants but had probably his quietest game against us. Coming up against Sandilands is always difficult due to his height and size, but I thought Pyke did a decent enough job against him too.
    I actually thought our ruck pairing with Tippett and Pyke has done pretty well so far this season - certainly haven't been utterly dominated in any of the 4 games so far. When you have a midfield as good as our (At least is reputed to be), then as long as you can just about break even, the midfield should do the rest.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    Of course they are not the same spec's and I agree on the centre bounce, but I don't think the coaches rate a classical ruck around the ground now days.

It's all about 'making a contest' and I think the use of Reid last year showed that.

Goodes would certainly murder Pike in general play and could act as an extra midfielder when the ball hits the deck.
    Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I just think Goodsey is no longer really capable of matching opposition ruckmen. He's certainly capable of being good around the ground when allowed to play to his strengths & can have an important role to play. But to suggest he's going to be a competitive ruckman, or suggest it's worth unnecessarily risking injury to him in that role seems, to me at least, frankly a bit of a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    He's also still the greatest ever Canadian-Australian footballer in the history of the VFL/AFL!
    Guaranteed to make the Canadian team of the Century.

The selections were made in part to suit the expected conditions. Cunningham and McGlynn didn't have much influence in the Freo game. Although a bit surprised by McGlynn's omission, it's a chance to see what Mitchell can do in conditions that enhance his skill set. The conditions should also suit the cleverness and experience of Goodes. Towers should sub, unless it's unexpectedly dry, then probably will be Mitchell with Towers tagging Murphy.

I earlier suggested that it was a good week for Naismith to come in for Pyke, but given the conditions and how well the Bulldogs are playing, it's probably not the time for this experiment. There will be better games for this in the coming weeks. I also thought having Goodes do some ruck work would be okay if there aren't any concerns about injuring his PCL again. Pyke is the best option this week and he should do well against Cordy and help us dominate the stoppages.

I would prefer the game to be played in the dry for the aesthetics, but wet conditions probably benefit us. It should slow down the Dogs quick ball movement and create a lot of turnovers. They also don't have much experience in wet conditions. We have improved playing in the wet from early last year. I particularly remember a well played win v. WCE in Perth when is was soaking wet.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Got to say it, but was it a bad move by Horse to bring a player back from injury with no game time against one of the gun sides???

I think yes!
    You're referring to McGlynn? His first game of the season was against GWS.

We know Goodes won't be the sub so it is possible I guess. I doubt Mitchell has been picked to be the sub though. Having said that, Towers would be a bit stiff to be in the role having been sub then emergency in the last two games.
    Why do we know Goodes won't be the sub ?

They way I understood his situation ...

He didn't want to be the sub 2 weeks in a row, and risk loosing what fitness and touch he had.

He's now had 2 games under his belt.

I hope he is sub. I think that's his best role these days.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veterans List
    I'm excited by this weeks changes, shows Horse can be bolder at the selection table. As stiff as he is(bit personal!), Towers as sub makes sense. I want Mitchell in from the start, and that makes sense also in the expected conditions, and Goodsey is the massive 'curiosity' piece in the puzzle, that hopefully we'll all be rejoicing at days end, with cries of "He's still got it!!". Seems a long shot, but wouldn't it be good.......

On the veteran's list
    Couldn't agree more. His last two games have been his best for a while. Also he is the master of the deft little tap-on to another player's advantage.

I don't think Towers will be sub as he was the sub two weeks ago and I think he was the travelling emergency last week in Perth. Needs a full game.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast