Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuey Dew to Carlton?

Stuey Dew to Carlton?

I hear talk, e.g. from Mark Stevens on Game Day, that Stuey Dew may be poached by Carlton to take over from Mick Malthouse. Would we permit this mid-season? How much would it hurt us? I know there's a protocol that clubs release assistant coaches from contracts if they are offered senior roles but must that be honoured not even halfway into the season? Stuey would be privy to all our plans etc etc. I confess I even wondered, after Stuey turned down the Melbourne role, whether there might be some kind of a succession plan.

Senior Player
    I thought word was worsfold was being lined up for the Carlton job.

Maybe if stuey goes to Carlton we can get Malthouse to be our next assistant coach. A straight swap haha

Veterans List
    New AFL rules stop approaches to Assistant Coaches until AFTER they have fulfilled their current season obligations.

So Dew can't be approached until after the GF :-)

Carlton, what a cess pit to go to! Their best players are ageing or downhill skiers, little young talent on the list and little prospect of drafting sufficient talent plus no Free Agents of worth would want to go there. Dew on a hiding to nothing.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Dew was selected as the successor of Longmire, with more development. Now has the last 3 years made him a good senior coach? I cant tell from the outside. But was mid coach and was smashed against better teams. Francou take that job and we were smashed by freo and hawks. So Dew was not responsible for that. If Pykey can't help us at all why is he still there. Longmire is old traditional coach and will continue to support older players in poor form and will never criticise this players. Can Dew coach us, not for me. Brandon bolton look goods, bevo and richo good too. We have not changed much for 12 years. Hawks have changed a lot of tactics, still smash players with or not with the ball, but there movement us 25 to 50 better then us and the coaches are the blame not the players. All instinctive players have that part cosched out in our club. Jetta still has it but he might be leaving. Dont want Dew to go mid season as that interruptions the team, after that i am not worried.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    We have not changed much for 12 years.
    Apart from the bit where we won two premierships of course. (And reached two more grand finals. And have only finished outside the top 8 once...)

Yes Liz results are important but you must really think about it. Any coach, e.g Malthouse, can get this list into the finals. In 2012 Hawthorn never rated us and over looked us and we stole the flag. If the hawks kicked straight in 1st quarter they game would go the same as 2014. Mugged in prelim by Dockers and mugged in 2014 G.F. Playing finals makes a lot of supporters happy, me too, but you need to play like a contender and in the big games not home and away games. I was happy in 2006 as we played well and lost. in 2013 and 2014 well played dismally. Thats see Horse coach carlton, playing lists make coaches like good or bad. Our team plays on effort and discipline but not much skill. I cheer with wins and sad with loses but my job trains me to never accept what you see is perfect. Our team protects the recidivism players and that slows our development. To me the way you play determines the results compared to the teams were playing against. We have had a top 4 for 10 years. Go Swans.

Yes Liz results are important but you must really think about it. Any coach, e.g Malthouse, can get this list into the finals. In 2012 Hawthorn never rated us and over looked us and we stole the flag. If the hawks kicked straight in 1st quarter they game would go the same as 2014. Mugged in prelim by Dockers and mugged in 2014 G.F. Playing finals makes a lot of supporters happy, me too, but you need to play like a contender and in the big games not home and away games. I was happy in 2006 as we played well and lost. in 2013 and 2014 well played dismally. Thats see Horse coach carlton, playing lists make coaches like good or bad. Our team plays on effort and discipline but not much skill. I cheer with wins and sad with loses but my job trains me to never accept what you see is perfect. Our team protects the recidivism players and that slows our development. To me the way you play determines the results compared to the teams were playing against. We have had a top 4 for 10 years. Go Swans.
    That was one of the more difficult posts I've read in a while

Sorry, my ability to communicate is at times very poor.

Veterans List
    Sorry, my ability to communicate is at times very poor.
    Please read my post earlier, the AFL rule does not allow Assistant Coaches to be approached by other teams until AFTER their current season finishes with their current team. Dew cannot be approached until after the Swans have finished their year, hopefully after the GF.

I would think they'll pull out all the stops to get Woosha.

Carlton gig could be a poisoned chalice

Swans did not steal 2012 flag. Youve been listening to the melbourne media to long.

Thanks aguy. Surprising Mark Stevens doesn't know this too. Makes sense. How can it work for one club to pinch another's coach mid-season? That said, Josh Kennedy, who was on the panel at the same time did not dismiss the idea outright but only said it was the first he'd heard of it, that Study would be a big loss and would "definitely, definitely" make a great senior coach.

- - - Updated - - -

*707* not aguy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast