Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    The look of hatred on the group of fat young North Melbourne supporters (you know, where they are pretending to cry, insinuating Goodes is a cry baby) made me very sad. How can this be funny or acceptable? It's a mob mentality with a nasty nasty undertone...
    Calling people fat is also nasty and just as hurtful.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    Get over it......when I grew up there was a saying, and I'm sure you've heard it, if not, you must be a youngin' tainted by the age of 'Political Correctness', and that saying was, "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me!". Worked well for me, seems to work well for Adam, and the current generation would do well to follow this creed, in the hope that everyone's skin may just thicken a bit. Frankly, mock outrage is tiresome , but to be genuinely outraged by this is just sad.....

Honestly, if this wasn't beaten up so badly by the media after the hawthorn game, no other teams would have jumped on the bandwagon. Goodes has been getting booed for years, but by a very small portion, the way many champions do. Hawthorn are the one team who took it to another level. Half of Gold Coast fans probably didn't even know who Goodes was a year ago, yet they booed him? Did they boo him last year, even after the 'ape' saga? Don't think so. Nor did Carlton fans or Kangas fans ( well at least not in those numbers)The reason it continues and the reason it probably will never stop now is because it gets so much oxygen in the media. To the extent where people in the crowd now may boo simply because they were asked not to. It's their right to boo, whether you like it or not. Goodes will get Booed week in week out now mainly because the media have made such a big deal out of it. Very sad but true, doesn't take away his legacy, doesn't stop him being a champion. Just ignore it and hope the swans cheers drown out the boo's, as they did many times last night . Absolutely loved the Goooooooodesyyyyyy chant to, bravo to those who engineered and participate In that. I'd love to hear that every week.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Thought Longmire handled it pretty well in the presser. They clearly don't want to give it oxygen, where the media keeps digging (Sam lane did anyway).

Game day this morning took an excerpt from horse that said 'swans have said their piece aboot booing' or similar.

The less it's talked about the sooner it will stop.

Draft Scout
    In the spirit of ending, could moderators end this thread pls?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajn View Post
    In the spirit of ending, could moderators end this thread pls?
    As long as it's an issue, this thread should remain open. If the media shut the **** up about it, and the boo's actually stop, then we can call this thread irrelevant and closed......we can only hope that day comes sooner rather than later.

Blog Entries
    Most of the booing came from the other side of the ground to where I was, but still pathetic.
    A few swans tried to boo Boomer, but it never really got off the ground.

The chant of "Goodesy" echoed around the cauldron brilliantly.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Boo hoo. If the fat, slack-jawed little simpleton is prepared to dish out mindless personal abuse then the fat slack-jawed little simpleton has to be prepared to cop mindless personal abuse. Surely he can't think such behaviour is unacceptable if he indulges in it himself? It's the golden rule about treating people as you want to be treated yourself.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Get over it....."Sticks and stones will break my bones.....in the hope that everyone's skin may just thicken a bit.
    I see what you did there
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Really?

Get over yourself

Blog Entries
    Calling people any names is hurtful.
    You have no idea what people have been through in their life, or are going through now.

Goodes is a classic example.
    What might seem innocuous to many, is not always the case for the recipient.

More people should think before they speak (or boo).

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar
    Andrew Ireland has teed off on the boo brigade and their apologists.

Adam Goodes booing has racial undertones, says Sydney Swans CEO Andrew Ireland