Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Booing of Adam Goodes by fans of Melbourne clubs

Bombers and Hawks are the worst by far. Surprisingly Collingwood, despite the perception, are quite well behaved compared to the other two. Passionate supporters but not particularly assholes. Most of other vic clubs are fine too.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    A suddenly very youthful Caro (have a look at the online photo)!
    Good article though, I particularly like this:
    "To suggest the treatment of Goodes is largely due to his alleged "staging" for free kicks is laughable and almost insidious excuse in its obvious avoidance."

And I now see a Caro photo against Jake Niall's name - 'The Age' has had a real whoopsie. this morning!

I truly don't believe this. Facebook! AFL Indigenous round and Lisa's jumper is in the photographs of all the clubs, and the sicko's are still trolling Adam through this. Can't we do anything????
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Up There For Sydney! Adelaide Swan's Avatar
    Great article in the Footy Almanac about the issue.

Racism among some football fans: the booing of Adam Goodes

Adam Goodes plays football. Very well. Better than most have throughout the history of the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by DLBIA14 View Post
    Every Hawks/Swans game I've been to in Melbourne on the other hand...*shudders*. The grand final was vitriolic, aggressive and frankly a little scary. The mob-mentality there is strong.
    I stood outside Gate 4 after the GF waiting for friends who were in different areas of the ground so we could all meet up and head to the Rising Sun to drown our sorrows. I had morons attack me on at least half a dozen occasions in what was almost a carbon copy of the Port fans attack on Clarkson a few weeks ago, yelling in my face about stealing Buddy and just being feral. Like Clarko who just wanted to get to his hotel, my only crime was to still be wearing my colours. Pathetic...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I truly don't believe this. Facebook! AFL Indigenous round and Lisa's jumper is in the photographs of all the clubs, and the sicko's are still trolling Adam through this. Can't we do anything????
    I know it is infuriating but isn't the general rule that it is better not to feed the trolls?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

And the next thing I r4ead is that Hawthorn 'fans' boo Goodsey because he is a dirty player........................................
    beggars belief.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    As Frankie Howerd almost said in Up Pompeii: Twitter ye not.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I stood outside Gate 4 after the GF waiting for friends who were in different areas of the ground so we could all meet up and head to the Rising Sun to drown our sorrows. I had morons attack me on at least half a dozen occasions in what was almost a carbon copy of the Port fans attack on Clarkson a few weeks ago, yelling in my face about stealing Buddy and just being feral. Like Clarko who just wanted to get to his hotel, my only crime was to still be wearing my colours. Pathetic...
    With the exception of one loser (who left early) last Saturday night, the Wees and Poos fans around me were pretty good overall. But the GF experience last year was absolutely awful. I had similar issues on the way out of the ground - only on the basis of the colours being worn. They have (even if it is a small part of the fan base) a pretty feral element within their fans.

The terrible feelings of that day were made so much worse by those gloating 'fans' that went out of their way to make it even more miserable. Only a GF victory can lead to some sort of redemption from that day - but I'd like to think Swans fans would celebrate the achievements of their team, rather than seek to pile misery on their opponents.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Spot on Triple B and mcs. They're absolutely awful, no doubt. My GF experience with them was also a shocker.

Worst thing, if you react and give them what they undoubtedly deserve you're looked upon as a poor-loser. Certainly in a no-win situation.

Having said all that, it was a bit different at the MCG on Saturday night. Most of the Swans crowd (myself included) in our area seemed stung by the GF loss and were quite vocal early. That set the tone. Obviously it helped that we were kicking goals.

I first encountered their behaviour at the 2001 EF and they've just got worse since. They've got plenty of good supporters too and that shouldn't be forgotten.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton