Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Delisting 2015

Delisting 2015

Can anyone say how many players must be delisted each year? I think it's three from the senior list but wasn't able to confirm this after spending 5-10 minutes searching online.

I was wondering who we'll be looking at delisting this year. I'm thinking Shaw and Goodes' will retire. Then, given Naismith and Nankervis' development, Derickx may be the unfortunate third. What do others think at this stage of the season?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I'm not sure there is a fixed number that 'have' to be delisted but you need to add a minimum of 3 at the National Draft.

I agree that Shaw and Goodes will more than likely both retire, others have said we may delist AJ and then pick him up again in the rookie draft but that could be risky. Derickx is contracted for next season so he will be staying unless he is traded. Marsh seems like the obvious delisting but from all reports he's having a pretty impressive run of games at NEAFL level.

Brandon Jack could be in trouble but I would be surprised if the club didn't give him another year. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Bird or Towers request a trade in a bid to play more consistent senior footy.

Naismith will be retained and I believe Nankervis has another year to run on his contract. Hopefully Perris is given the third year rookie spot so we get a chance to see what he can do with an extended run of injury-free games.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    I'm not sure there is a fixed number that 'have' to be delisted but you need to add a minimum of 3 at the National Draft.

I agree that Shaw and Goodes will more than likely both retire, others have said we may delist AJ and then pick him up again in the rookie draft but that could be risky. Derickx is contracted for next season so he will be staying unless he is traded. Marsh seems like the obvious delisting but from all reports he's having a pretty impressive run of games at NEAFL level.

Brandon Jack could be in trouble but I would be surprised if the club didn't give him another year. Also wouldn't be surprised to see Bird or Towers request a trade in a bid to play more consistent senior footy.

Naismith will be retained and I believe Nankervis has another year to run on his contract. Hopefully Perris is given the third year rookie spot so we get a chance to see what he can do with an extended run of injury-free games.
    Can see quite a turnover this year - Goodes, Shaw to retire with Bird, Towers and probably Jetta (against our wishes) to be traded plus Aliir Aliir and one other de-listed

That leaves seven to be added. Can se Naismith being upgraded and four draftees (probably three F/S or accademy) and a couple of free agent or de-listed players (probably defenders), one a bargain basement and the other a little more established.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Allir Allir will be given another season...I believe we give all of our players taken in the National Draft 3 year contracts but I could be wrong.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post

Thanks Conor. I was beginning to wonder whether AJ and/or BJ might be in danger. Thanks also for clarifying that 3 must be added via the draft - that explains where I got my idea from. So if you have a full list then you have to lose three to accommodate those incoming.

Mug Punter - losing 7 seems pessimistic. I can see why Bird (even though he is from Nelson Bay) and maybe Towers might look elsewhere for the sake of more opportunity. Towers, Cunningham and BJ seem to be competing for the same role most of the time but it seems Towers is very close to Harry with BJ a bit further back. I don't know the mail on Jetta - why, apart from the fact that he is from WA, is it speculated that he will leave? Will be a loss for us if he does. His role is not one where we have much depth, especially having lost Mal, another of our better long kicks.

I think new draftees may get two years - not three. Hence Zak Jones re-signing. Aliir (and Nank) were in the same draft as Jones - so they will need to be extended if they are not going to be de-listed. Marsh seems to have been getting good enough raps in an area where we will be looking to renew (i.e. defence) that I would be mildly surprised if he cut him (providing he maintains his good form of 2015 so far). Otherwise we might as well have cut him last year.

Perris is going to have his work cut out to make the senior team - his is a role where we do seem to have a lot of depth.

Veterans List
    Remember we are only running 38 on the senior list when we can have up to 40. This may mean we don't have to delist/trade out three if we choose to expand the senior list to 39 or 40. I think we only run 38 as a strategy to save $ given the two extra rookies are cheaper than two on the senior list.

Shaw is certainly a retirement, Goodes did look a certainty but if he keeps up this standard of play for the rest of the year who knows about 2016! Marsh is the most obvious delisting, Perris who knows?, Naismith will be upgraded.

Trade outs? Bird might look elsewhere and would have suitors, Towers likely to stay?

Be our most interesting trade/draft period since 2009 I reckon. Just get the feeling that Mills and Dunkley plus the Naismith upgrade will be all we do at the ND.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Remember we are only running 38 on the senior list when we can have up to 40. This may mean we don't have to delist/trade out three if we choose to expand the senior list to 39 or 40. I think we only run 38 as a strategy to save $ given the two extra rookies are cheaper than two on the senior list.

Shaw is certainly a retirement, Goodes did look a certainty but if he keeps up this standard of play for the rest of the year who knows about 2016! Marsh is the most obvious delisting, Perris who knows?, Naismith will be upgraded.

Trade outs? Bird might look elsewhere and would have suitors, Towers likely to stay?

Be our most interesting trade/draft period since 2009 I reckon. Just get the feeling that Mills and Dunkley plus the Naismith upgrade will be all we do at the ND.
    I'd be surprised if that the it to be honest. I'd think Mills and Dunks (depending on his draft spot) plus Sam are certainties but I woudl think we'd also try and draft an academy kid or two. I'd also think we will be in the market for some defensive stocks.

We'll be looking at some trade bait for sure and it's healthy because if we want to give the likes of Hewett and Jones a chance we can't have them clogged up behind a mature list. I can definitely see a bundled deal of Bird and Towers going for an early second round pick, maybe Melbourne because they desperately need some added depth. Two retirements and a strong chance Jetta will seek a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I'd be surprised if that the it to be honest. I'd think Mills and Dunks (depending on his draft spot) plus Sam are certainties but I woudl think we'd also try and draft an academy kid or two. I'd also think we will be in the market for some defensive stocks.

We'll be looking at some trade bait for sure and it's healthy because if we want to give the likes of Hewett and Jones a chance we can't have them clogged up behind a mature list. I can definitely see a bundled deal of Bird and Towers going for an early second round pick, maybe Melbourne because they desperately need some added depth. Two retirements and a strong chance Jetta will seek a trade.
    Surely Bird + Towers is worth more than an early 2nd round pick?! Bird is one of the best 150 players in the comp and Towers was himself a first round pick and has had years of development invested in him so he is at last ready to go.

As for defenders, isn't that what we have done at recent drafts? Marsh, X, Aliir, Jones, Newman, McLaren (and who knows what Melican may one day become or for that matter, Abe Davis). That's 6-8 potential defenders in the system at various stages of development. If anything, wouldn't be more likely to trade for a ready made defender if it is felt necessary rather than making defenders a specific focus of our drafting?

It would be awful to lose Jetta just when he's begun to fulfill his potential. I can only see him wanting to go back to WA. Freo will be targeting a KPP, so I doubt that they will be in a position to trade for Jetta. It's not like they are going to give up Fyfe. WCE may well be willing to give up their 1st round pick, probably around #14 for Jetta, which is where he went in the first place. I hope it doesn't happen.

I don't think there are any obvious delistings at this point in the season. We are likely to give our KPPs more time to develop given out lack of depth in that area. This year's draft is considered fairly weak, so we might be better off holding on to what we have, as it will only be replacing delisted players with new rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Surely Bird + Towers is worth more than an early 2nd round pick?! Bird is one of the best 150 players in the comp and Towers was himself a first round pick and has had years of development invested in him so he is at last ready to go.

As for defenders, isn't that what we have done at recent drafts? Marsh, X, Aliir, Jones, Newman, McLaren (and who knows what Melican may one day become or for that matter, Abe Davis). That's 6-8 potential defenders in the system at various stages of development. If anything, wouldn't be more likely to trade for a ready made defender if it is felt necessary rather than making defenders a specific focus of our drafting?
    I think that would be fair. I like Bird but if he isn't a regular in our (admittedly strong) then it is hard to argue he is in the best 150, I'd rate his as very honest and reliable. Towers would be worth early second round at best, roughly what we got for Everitt which was an upgrade from pick 39 to 32. A club like Melbourne could take two ready made senior players, maybe add a free agent plus still get their early first round pick. Their real issue is depth and I do think they'd be a prime destination

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It would be awful to lose Jetta just when he's begun to fulfill his potential. I can only see him wanting to go back to WA. Freo will be targeting a KPP, so I doubt that they will be in a position to trade for Jetta. It's not like they are going to give up Fyfe. WCE may well be willing to give up their 1st round pick, probably around #14 for Jetta, which is where he went in the first place. I hope it doesn't happen.
    I hope he stays too but I reckon there's a very good chance he will leave

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I hope he stays too but I reckon there's a very good chance he will leave
    You've posted this view a few times. And the question has been asked by another poster but you haven't really answered it - why, other than the fact that he is originally from WA ( and I'm guessing coming Out of contract) , do you think Jetta will leave? Have you heard something somewhere? An interview with Jetta perhaps where he expresses his desire to return home ? Comment by a journalist, Rumour mill , or just purely speculation and / or gut feel ? Nothing I've seen or heard would suggest he's unhappy in Sydney, and he's playing probably the best footy of his career, so I'm just curious to know why you feel there's such a good chance he will leave. The only thing I can think of is if he gets presented with the offer of a pretty hefty pay rise to return home, say around 500- 600k, which I doubt we'd be in a position to match.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast