Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 12: Sydney Swans Reserves v Sydney University

This is embarrassing. Too many players missing. Also, how much time do top ups get to learn our structures etc.?

Despite the fact that the ressies losing is always a shame, Uni now appearing to be strong enough to be a legitimate NEAFL team is a good thing.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

24 mins into the last qtr:

Swans 5.11.41
    Syd Uni 18.7.114

- - - Updated - - -

So many of our defenders don't get goalside of their opponent. It's a baffling tactic to say the least.

Final score

Swans 5.11.41
    Syd Uni 18.8.116

Poor showing by the Swans in the slightly greasy conditions. Uni were hard, composed and smart and deserved the win.

Hard to pick out our best in such a shellacking but the stand outs for me were Towers (mostly in the first half), Richards and Jack.

Kept a close eye on Newman who had a dirty day and was regularly out-muscled or smashed in tackles. His delivery was mostly good though in a fairly lacklustre team.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Thanks mate. Looks like I picked a good game to miss

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Poor showing by the Swans in the slightly greasy conditions. Uni were hard, composed and smart and deserved the win.

Hard to pick out our best in such a shellacking but the stand outs for me were Towers (mostly in the first half), Richards and Jack.

Kept a close eye on Newman who had a dirty day and was regularly out-muscled or smashed in tackles. His delivery was mostly good though in a fairly lacklustre team.
    I missed the first half, but Newman seemed pretty slow. I guess that missed pre-season has an impact. Or he picked up a corky.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Did Aliir play in the ruck? He had 9 hitouts

He rucked up forward.

Sydney Swans
    Goal Kickers: B. Jack 2, D. Towers , X. Richards , D. Robinson
    Best Players: , B. Jack , J. Foote , D. Towers , X. Richards , H. Marsh

Veteran Site Admin
    It was a pretty tough day for the reserves team. They were generally on top early, though missing a forward structure that would have enabled them to capitalise. Nankervis wasn't a bad target but he was having to carry the ruck mostly on his own. Losing Bird and then Robinson tore a mighty hole in what was already a thin midfield division. Uni realised halfway through the second quarter that they were a real chance at winning the game, and their intensity lifted markedly. The more they got on top, the greater their energy and the more the heads of the reserves team dropped. Longmire was watching much of the second half from the top of the players' race and his face was stony. (Probably not as bad as it would be a few hours later, but he looked pissed at the lack of effort.)

When the numbers of listed players are low, the size, experience and quality of the top ups becomes particularly important, and at the moment, we seem to lack that core of players who know the game plan and are physically ready. We didn't really have any out there today who looked like they believed they belonged. Most were just occupying space on the ground.

It wasn't hard to work out who Ben Davis was. He's shorter than Abe (but still mid 180s, I'd guess) and pretty skinny but otherwise he's the spitting image, even down to the same fantastic head of hair. He played on a HFF in the first half and barely touched the ball. In the second half, the whole team was shuffled around (with AA up forward and taking centre bounces in the ruck too) and Davis moved down to a half-back flank. He found the ball a few times and used it decently enough, but I reckon he's too young and slight for us to tell whether he's a potential AFL player in the making.

It was painful to see Rose, Perris, Heeney, Naismith, Pyke and Melican all in civvies watching on (plus Abe Davis, of course), and even worse to see Birdy clutching his iced shoulder and in-a-sling arm, and Robinson needing to be helped down the steps of the players' race at half time.

Watched the second half.
    Shellacking.
    Badly.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast