Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes - Round 16 vs Hawthorn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Changes - Round 16 vs Hawthorn

Average performance from a lot of players today. Luckily our reserves faired better this week, particularly one important player for our structure.

Out - Towers, Robinson.
    In - Heeney, Richards.

Heeney just seemed to fit well forward with Franklin early in the year. His skills and hardness will be a great addition!

Warming the Bench

changes for round 16

in heeny bird Richards Nankervis

out pyke towers Cunningham shaw
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Senior Player
    Agree with the above, except Robinson out instead of Cunningham.

What I think they'll do:

IN: Heeney, Richards
    OUT: Towers, Robinson

Rampe & Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Average performance from a lot of players today. Luckily our reserves faired better this week, particularly one important player for our structure.

Out - Towers, Robinson.
    In - Heeney, Richards.

Heeney just seemed to fit well forward with Franklin early in the year. His skills and hardness will be a great addition!
    Greetings from Thailand,

When will Rampe & Smith stop badly kicking across the face of goal?

Finally Tippett earned his money today, long time coming.

Give Pike a run in the 2nds and give Nankervis another go, we need more aggression against the Hawks and Toby will add some starch.

Looking forward to Heeney returning, but won't mind if they don't rush him back this week.

I'm assuming that Roughead doesn't play, so their only 'physical' tall forward will be their resting ruckman, probably covered by Reg. Ted, Laidler and Rampe can handle Gunston and Schoenmaker, at least from a physical standpoint. So Reid can be spared to play forward or on the wing.

Out: Pyke, Towers, Robinson.
    In: Richards, Heeney, B Jack (sub)

Tippett and Reid to share the ruck duties, perhaps with a cameo from Goodes.

It's going to take a huge improvement to even get close to Hawthorn. Longmire seemed to have a look of resignation on his face every time the cameras flashed to the coaches' box. Like he knew we were crap and there wasn't any point on giving himself a heart attack about it. Maybe the untimely death of Phil Walsh made him rethink his priorities. I've never seen him more composed.

Given the likely scenario that there will be a lot of stoppages and pressure inside football, it might be worth considering bringing Bird back for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Given the likely scenario that there will be a lot of stoppages and pressure inside football, it might be worth considering bringing Bird back for this one.
    Don't know what Birdy did wrong but it's time he returned. Surely we have someone better than Towers.

Out: Towers, Robinson
    In: Heeney, Richards.

Heeney to come back as the Sub and Cunnningham to start (Who did alright coming on last night I feel). Pyke is a real worry for us, But I think it would be exceptionally unwise over the next couple of weeks to replace him with Nankervis at this stage. Tippett I feel will continue to have a larger role in the ruck, as he did very well yesterday.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Warming the Bench
    ....It's going to take a huge improvement to even get close to Hawthorn. Longmire seemed to have a look of resignation on his face every time the cameras flashed to the coaches' box. Like he knew we were crap and there wasn't any point on giving himself a heart attack about it.....
    We seem so far away from our form 12 months ago. Horse seems to have locked in a game style and plan that he thinks can beat the best teams. The problem is our bottom 6 players don't seem to be up to executing it and some senior players regularly go missing in big patches. He does not want to change the cattle or the plan....I just found this clip on YouTube of the hitler reacting to the swans 2014 gf defeat (downfall parody) - lots of one liners ringing true!

Sydney Swans fan, Hitler, reacts to the 2014 AFL Grand Final result - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    We seem so far away from our form 12 months ago. Horse seems to have locked in a game style and plan that he thinks can beat the best teams. The problem is our bottom 6 players don't seem to be up to executing it and some senior players regularly go missing in big patches. He does not want to change the cattle or the plan....I just found this clip on YouTube of the hitler reacting to the swans 2014 gf defeat (downfall parody) - lots of one liners ringing true!

Sydney Swans fan, Hitler, reacts to the 2014 AFL Grand Final result - YouTube
    The point about the bottom 6 rings true to me. I think our bottom 6 is weaker than it was in 2014, and clearly weaker than it was in 2012. Those fringe guys (Towers, Robinson, Cunningham etc) are not really taking strong steps to solidify their place in the team, and when you add in veterans clearly on the way down (Pyke and Shaw) we look weaker than 2014. What it shows is how desperately we need to have a fit best 22 going into finals. Throw in McGlynn, Heeney and Rohan and suddenly the bottom 6 looks a lot better.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I'm assuming that Roughead doesn't play, so their only 'physical' tall forward will be their resting ruckman, probably covered by Reg. Ted, Laidler and Rampe can handle Gunston and Schoenmaker, at least from a physical standpoint. So Reid can be spared to play forward or on the wing.

Out: Pyke, Towers, Robinson.
    In: Richards, Heeney, B Jack (sub)

Tippett and Reid to share the ruck duties, perhaps with a cameo from Goodes.

It's going to take a huge improvement to even get close to Hawthorn. Longmire seemed to have a look of resignation on his face every time the cameras flashed to the coaches' box. Like he knew we were crap and there wasn't any point on giving himself a heart attack about it. Maybe the untimely death of Phil Walsh made him rethink his priorities. I've never seen him more composed.

That all depends Ludwig on whether Hawks decide to play three ruckmen. Hale at FF, Ceglar & McEvoy both doing the ruck duties. Otherwise they could play Grimley who has been kicking a bag or three in the Twos. Schoenmakers might not play yet. schoenmakers is a tall as is Gunston (193).

I don't want to see Reid rucking again in his career. He is crap at it. Ok second up but not as the main ruckman.

Agree about improvement. I think we need a miracle. but I haven't seen Horse walk on water lately.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    That all depends Ludwig on whether Hawks decide to play three ruckmen. Hale at FF, Ceglar & McEvoy both doing the ruck duties. Otherwise they could play Grimley who has been kicking a bag or three in the Twos. Schoenmakers might not play yet. schoenmakers is a tall as is Gunston (193).

I don't want to see Reid rucking again in his career. He is crap at it. Ok second up but not as the main ruckman.

Agree about improvement. I think we need a miracle. but I haven't seen Horse walk on water lately.
    I can't remember the last time Hawthorn played 3 ruckmen, so I think it's unlikely. If Roughead comes in, it will probably be at the expense of Shoenmakers, so their structure is unlikely to change from the Freo game.

Reid played very well in the ruck against Richmond. The hitout numbers in that game were Tippo - 16, Reid - 12 and Drex - 7. So not bad for our 3rd ruckman in that game. I think many of Reid's hitouts were 3rd man up, but was a good job nonetheless.

It's interesting that the 3 other top 4 sides play similar forward line structures with a resting ruckman, a primarily tall and a secondary tall. Here are the typical setups:

Hawthorn: Hall, Roughead and Gunston
    Freo: Clarke, Pav, Mayne
    WCE: Sinclair, Kennedy, Darling

All pose challenges, but not due to height. Reid can be spared in the forward line against all those sides. Their small forwards are many and dangerous.

I'd dump Pyke and put Tipoff in the ruck (with Sammy backing him up).
    Pyke is VERY slow.
    Very, very, very, slow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Don't know what Birdy did wrong but it's time he returned. Surely we have someone better than Towers.
    I was under the impression that he was injured when I spoke with him at the last home game.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast