Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Jetta contract talks

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    It looks like I may be on my own here but stuff him if he wants to go back to WA. He is a professional footballer. He will be a long time retired. If he wants to go back to WA when he retires then good luck to him. In the meantime play for the club who has supported you thus far.
    A few more.
    2005 GF Team - Craig Bolton, Barry Hall, Paul Williams, Jason Ball, Nick Davis
    2012 GF Team � Rhyce Shaw, Ted Richards, Martin Mattner, Shane Mumford, Josh Kennedy, Mike Pyke, Mitch Morton

Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Do you hate Franklin, Tippett, Kennedy, McGlynn, Richards and Shaw for the reason?
    *sanp*
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    It looks like I may be on my own here but stuff him if he wants to go back to WA. He is a professional footballer. He will be a long time retired. If he wants to go back to WA when he retires then good luck to him. In the meantime play for the club who has supported you thus far.
    It's BECAUSE he is a professional footballer that he has the right to select his employer, when the system permits him to do that.

I don't subscribe to the theory that he owes because the club has supported him.

The club pays him for his labour, just as anyone else's employer does.

Maybe a player such as Rohan, who was supported by the club through tough times could be said to 'owe' the club something extra. But I am dubious about that sentiment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WauchopeAnalyst View Post
    If Jetta is trying to go then maybe Jetta might be the catalyst. Swans and Freo/WC can't make a fair deal and Jetta goes to the AFL and claims "Restraint of Trade" because I am unable to play where I want to. Maybe the Triad Committee might have to think quickly about it and remove the restriction.
    I would be extremely surprised if we would not accept a first round pick for Jetta as a straight swap which we would then use to settle the bill for Mills. That would be a fair trade.

Anything else and he can go to the PSD

Agree our trade restrictions suck but our club management agreed to them

High court challenge to the trade ban then a straight swap for Sandilands or Natanui.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I would be extremely surprised if we would not accept a first round pick for Jetta as a straight swap which we would then use to settle the bill for Mills. That would be a fair trade.

+1

Veterans List

Tend to agree. He's been very good Jetta, but that much better than a late first rounder? If they threw in a third round or better still a youngster it would help the deal, but not critical I don't think.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar

True, but Jetta never accepted any ban or restriction this year or last year. When drafted, he knew the rules. Late last year they changed the rules for us, but not JETTA. Maybe he knew last year he was going to go, but he never thought too long about the interference of me plying my trade. I am sure he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    It's BECAUSE he is a professional footballer that he has the right to select his employer, when the system permits him to do that.

I don't subscribe to the theory that he owes because the club has supported him.

The club pays him for his labour, just as anyone else's employer does.

Maybe a player such as Rohan, who was supported by the club through tough times could be said to 'owe' the club something extra. But I am dubious about that sentiment as well.
    Spot on. The club has held onto him because he's good footballer, not to support him.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    Do you hate Franklin, Tippett, Kennedy, McGlynn, Richards and Shaw for the reason?
    Apart from the first two you could easily argue that Joey, McGlynn Teddy and Shaw were not/no longer being supported by their clubs. They moved because the Swans were going to play them in the seniors. Now Shaw owes a lot to the Swans, they keep supporting him by playing him in the firsts when he shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post

Like the others I agree with this. It would only be a owing situation to the club if the club continually played a youngster who took years "to get it" and then once he flourished jumped team for a better offer. This could have been the case with Macca. Just remember how much grief he (McHack?) caused AnnieH before he became the highly consistent quality footballer he is now.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Warming the Bench

Can't help but think the reaction of Jetta to the booing of Goodes may be telling, he is an enotional lad and I could see him makinga statement over this, I would certainly think he might be having second thoughts about playing for the Weagles and remember it is highly likely we'll play th Dockers there in Week 1 of the finals so he may experience the same treatment as the Dockers Fans, though I'd be extremely disappointed if Freo boo Goodesy given their prouid history with indigenous players starting with Gerard Neesham

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456