Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Sydney V Collingwood Match Day Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Longmire on ABC just now. Parker broken tibia and being scanned for ankle ligament damage. Best case scenario 4 WEEKS! I'd take that!!
    Recorded a fibula here: Parker season likely to be over - sydneyswans.com.au.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Yeah, Teddy in particular is a real worry.
    Mmmm....Cloke kicked one goal.

Smith is more of a worry with his horrible kicking and stupid go to options.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Sadly there only seem to be two or three other recent posts in this thread expressing this perspective. I might have quoted Faunca8 or Mug Punter, as they say much the same. I'm in the same camp as the three of you. No team can win the premiership every year (and think how boring it would be if your team did). This year was already looking highly unlikely for us, and with injuries to the likes of Parker, Laidler and maybe Heeney and Rohan, it would take a miracle from here. But for me, footy is as much about enjoying the small things along the way.

Sure, yesterday's game wasn't always pretty and it was frustrating to watch at times. But the guys dug in hard to extract a win in a game they could easily have given up. I think Mitchell's been one of our best over the last month or so, and yesterday it continued. He, along with Kennedy, shows a desire to really win the ball out of a contest and dish it out. For all our supposed midfield strength, I think we've been lacking in that area for a while, so to watch Mitchell graduate from a young player to a core player has been exciting. Similarly, Jack showed why the coaches have been giving him opportunities here and there. He's been showing that kind of aggression in the reserves this year. Even when the team was getting thumped by the likes of GWS, his tackles were sticking and his endeavour never wavered. When you look back to his game when he arrived at the club - a skinny kid who looked like he'd never laid a tackle in his life - it's been an impressive development curve.

I'm reading Vonnegut's "Timequake" at the moment. It's an odd book - billed as a novel but really more like a scrapbook of reflections on life. On paragraph goes as follows:

Surely beating Collingwood - however it is achieved - has to count as one of the great small things in life, regardless of how it fits into any bigger picture?
    The last bit was excellent !

Absolutely, selfless performance. Reckon shots on Tippett are very cheap and betray a lack of appreciation of the role he's been playing.
    Yep. He's a Swan, and I am happy to have him.

And Lordy Lordy I was so pleased with BJ. He is such a smart kid. Was watching him practice those exact goals over and over at the early warmup.

Also, as an aside, the succession plan of a Richards for a Richards is looking to be progressing nicely. Its going to be weird but X moves just like Ted, and he is extremely calm and measured in his work.

I can yell invective at some of the boys, but I am not down at ground level and what I can see from above the top of the goal posts is not what they can see down on ground level. Also the ground was like glass a times, and the ball was also slippery. Probably hand balling like that (grrrrr) because the foot grip was too uncertain to be sure of effective foot passing. I don't think they can hear me ....

And just think. One day AJ will be back.....

the best bit is kind of like "I don't care whose playing as long as they beat New Zealand" and Collingwood. It was soooooo good. Don't mind most of the players, but......its the collective

And for what its worth, I have no voice today. Its been a long time since I yelled that much, so by all accounts that makes it maybe not a 'great' game, but a passionate and intense one. Fair enough.
    Last edited by Primmy; 15th August 2015 at 10:59 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    But back to the tv did anyone else notice Stewie Dews is not in for either the Carlton or Adelaide jobs, does this mean a orderly changeover is in the wings again/
    Yep. I am hoping the succession plan is once again on the agenda if Horse is 'over it'. Stewie is appreciated here big time. But if a good club wants him, umm...
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    On the Swans site they say it is his fibula and he was having scans today to see if there was any additional ligament damage.
    Fibula much more promising (doesn't take a lot of weight compared with tibia), unless it involves any portion of the lateral ligament of the ankle. The more distal the fracture, greater likelihood and that would likely necessitate an ankle reconstruction of a ruptured ligament (like that sustained by Tom Mitchell early on & kept him out a while).

Quote Originally Posted by SCGonasunnyday View Post
    At the game my wife and I marvelled at Tippett's effort and how he would probably get (unfairly) slammed in the media unless he got some goals. Watching the replay confirmed my view - great ruck work at times, great pressure, some important touches. Other than falling over once, fair to say he would kick more goals if we kicked to his advantage now and again.

I reckon he is a pretty handy player and did his part in our win.
    Yeah, I sort of agree, I think his effort earlier in the game was good. But a number of times in 2nd half he was walking and not keeping up (a few of these led to pie's scoring).

Mind you, same could be said for a number of our players, a result of the injury toll and a few carrying ongoing injuries me-thinks.

I guess I expect him to have a tank that will keep on going. Hoping Mikey Pyke will provide some relief.

Still can't forgive that over the head handpass tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    �And I am pretty sure McVeigh has a leg or groin injury that explains his kicking woes. I notice his calf was strapped, so maybe that's the problem�
    Doesn't explain the handballing woes tho. ;-).

I've definitely had a knock on McVeigh's leadership too, I've had my doubts since the grand final, but he was very good last night. Composed, kicked when others were handballing, really wanted it. Kieran too, was excellent - tackled and ran hard. They lifted us through it. Great to see Brandon Jack play with venom and composure, too.
    I called for the captains to be dropped last week, so I'm pleased it had the desired effect and fired them up. Hehe. But i will give credit where it is due and they were good on the night.

I actually took some good vibes out of the game. Some of the kids stood up and took on some ownership on the direction of the team. Rather than standing back waiting for the seniors to take us forward. Mitchell was outstanding, BJ is growing in confidence, Heeney gives us x factor and Rohan reinforced his importance to the team.

Other notables to me were Tippett's physical presence around the ground. Goodes was dangerous in the forward line. Cunningham did some good things across half back and Shaw and Grundy were safe at the back. These are all players i have potted in the past so credit to them.

Just wild about Harry
    Perspective us a curious thing. I have always been a believer and supporter of Cunningham and have thought criticism of him in here has often been unwarranted. However, this game I was continually frustrated by his mistakes more than any others but other posters have been complimenting him. I must be always out of step with public sentiment.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Fibula much more promising (doesn't take a lot of weight compared with tibia), unless it involves any portion of the lateral ligament of the ankle. The more distal the fracture, greater likelihood and that would likely necessitate an ankle reconstruction of a ruptured ligament (like that sustained by Tom Mitchell early on & kept him out a while).
    You beat me to GS.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Perspective us a curious thing. I have always been a believer and supporter of Cunningham and have thought criticism of him in here has often been unwarranted. However, this game I was continually frustrated by his mistakes more than any others but other posters have been complimenting him. I must be always out of step with public sentiment.
    I value Cunningham. Yes, he had a clanger or two on Friday night, but he did some good stuff too, and I was very pleased to see that after the players had climbed off a pile-up, Harry was on the bottom of it.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)