Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swans ready to stand tall

On the Rookie List

Swans ready to stand tall

Last week against Carlton Sandilands was 120 kgs. He is fading at a quick rate.

AFL

Swans now ready to stand tall

By JON PIERIK

March 31, 2004

THE Swans believe they can win the crucial centre-bounce clearances against Fremantle on Sunday despite preparing for their very own version of Jack And The Beanstalk.

Coach Paul Roos last night conceded that his ruckmen, namely Adam Goodes, Jason Ball and perhaps Stephen Doyle, would have little chance of getting first hands to the ball against giant Dockers big man Aaron Sandilands in their maiden home game of the season at the SCG.

At 211cm, Sandilands is the tallest player in the history of the game, according to the league's official handbook.

Not only this, but at 115kg he provides an all-round physically intimidating presence.

The Swans face the dilemma of whether to recall Doyle, who at 204cm is their tallest player, or rely on their attacking, smaller ruckmen who run hard around the ground. Roos, though, is confident his match-ups at ground level, along with the athleticism of the 194cm Goodes, will ensure the Swans will be able to activate their running game.

"The bloke is six feet 11 ? unless you have a ladder you are not going to nullify him at centre bounces," Roos said of Sandilands. "We are obviously hoping that Goodes will have an advantage around the ground. To be honest with Adam, and last year without Bally, we often lose the ruck contests.

"It's not going to be something that's unfamiliar for us.

"We are not a team that has relied heavily on our ruckman getting a hand on the ball.

"We are hoping our structure at ground level is going to combat when he gets his hand on the football."

Sandilands generated a tremendous run for the Dockers with a staggering 33 hit-outs against Carlton last weekend in the Dockers' 47-point win.

Doyle has spent the past fortnight in the reserves but is now considered match fit.

Tadhg Kennelly's hopes of a surprise return on Sunday continued to improve yesterday.

The fleet-footed attacking defender underwent surgery last Thursday to repair a tear in his left knee after a mishap at training and was expected to miss three or four weeks.

But after meeting with the team's medical staff yesterday, Roos said the Irishman might suit up this weekend.

Kennelly's inclusion would help offset the loss of forward Nick Davis (hip), who will miss the next three matches.

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/st...toryid=1125434
    WMP

By JON PIERIK

March 31, 2004

THE Swans believe they can win the crucial centre-bounce clearances against Fremantle on Sunday despite preparing for their very own version of Jack And The Beanstalk.

Coach Paul Roos last night conceded that his ruckmen, namely Adam Goodes, Jason Ball and perhaps Stephen Doyle, would have little chance of getting first hands to the ball against giant Dockers big man Aaron Sandilands in their maiden home game of the season at the SCG.

At 211cm, Sandilands is the tallest player in the history of the game, according to the league's official handbook.

Not only this, but at 115kg he provides an all-round physically intimidating presence.

The Swans face the dilemma of whether to recall Doyle, who at 204cm is their tallest player, or rely on their attacking, smaller ruckmen who run hard around the ground. Roos, though, is confident his match-ups at ground level, along with the athleticism of the 194cm Goodes, will ensure the Swans will be able to activate their running game.

"The bloke is six feet 11 ? unless you have a ladder you are not going to nullify him at centre bounces," Roos said of Sandilands. "We are obviously hoping that Goodes will have an advantage around the ground. To be honest with Adam, and last year without Bally, we often lose the ruck contests.

"It's not going to be something that's unfamiliar for us.

"We are not a team that has relied heavily on our ruckman getting a hand on the ball.

"We are hoping our structure at ground level is going to combat when he gets his hand on the football."

Sandilands generated a tremendous run for the Dockers with a staggering 33 hit-outs against Carlton last weekend in the Dockers' 47-point win.

Doyle has spent the past fortnight in the reserves but is now considered match fit.

Tadhg Kennelly's hopes of a surprise return on Sunday continued to improve yesterday.

The fleet-footed attacking defender underwent surgery last Thursday to repair a tear in his left knee after a mishap at training and was expected to miss three or four weeks.

But after meeting with the team's medical staff yesterday, Roos said the Irishman might suit up this weekend.

Kennelly's inclusion would help offset the loss of forward Nick Davis (hip), who will miss the next three matches.
    http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/st...toryid=1125434
    You don't ban those who supported your opponent, you make them wallow in their loserdom by covering your victory! You sit them in the front row. You give them a hat! Toby Ziegler

The prospect of Goodesy smacking into Sandilands all match terrifies me.

We have to get him out of the ruck. At least against clubs like Freo.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

Draft Scout
    Doyle will play, but putting Goodes in the ruck kills sides after the ball has hit the ground, far more than being effected by tap outs.

Remember Mott...fantastic in the amount of tap outs, but never hurt sides because he couldn't tap well. Same with Sandilands
    Staying ahead of the game...

Why did you guys put the same article up twice?

I'd prefer to see Doyle or Ball take on Sandilands in the centre - I worry that it will be too tiring for Goodes.

However, it is useful to have Goodes in the centre has he is one of our chief CB clearers.

Despite their huge ruckman and dominating hit outs, Freo only won CB clearances 12-9 on the weekend against Carlton. Peter Bell is the man to watch.

I tend to disagree with Robert Walls - I think ruck contests are overrated in importance.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

It was a big mistake not to play the big fellow last time we played as Goodes killed us out of the middle. I would guess that Pav will go with Goodes wherever he goes. If he goes in the ruck then Pav will go in the middle and pick him up after the ruck contest.

I agree Ripper, Pav's the one I'm worried about, along with Peter Bell. If we contain those two I think a victory for us will be easier.
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace

On the Rookie List
    IIRC correctly Haselby was BOG in the freo home last year. He is a player to closely watch imo. Fixter would have been a good " in " for this week to play on either Medhurst or Farmer.
    Crouch will probably get the job on Farmer, with either Leo or Saddo on medhurst.
    Looks like headland will miss.

Should be a cracking game.
    No.1 ticket holder of Nick Davis Fan Club...

Yep - Hasleby and Bell were awesome at Freo last year, and two of the best at the SCG. Kirk totally stopped Headland in the second game and was one of the best on the ground himself. If Headland isn't playing, that gives Kirk a chance to match up on Hasleby or Bell.

I think Barry needs to take Medhurst - he's probably our best match up there (or perhaps Bolton).

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by NMWBloods
    Yep - Hasleby and Bell were awesome at Freo last year, and two of the best at the SCG. Kirk totally stopped Headland in the second game and was one of the best on the ground himself.
    My memory may be a bit fuzzy but I thought Kirk played on (and completely shut out) Bell in the SCG match last year??

Maybe you're right. I thought it was Headland, although maybe that was the game in Freo.

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by lizz
    My memory may be a bit fuzzy but I thought Kirk played on (and completely shut out) Bell in the SCG match last year??
    Yep, kicked a couple of goals to, IIRC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast