Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evaluating our 2014 recruits

Evaluating our 2014 recruits

Now seems about as good a time as any (OK, possibly a little premature?) to look back at our 8 recruits from last year's national and rookie drafts and see how they're travelling. I have some notions and am interested to hear other people's thoughts too.

In the national draft we picked Heeney, Rose, Hiscox and Davis in that order. My sense of it is: Heeney is clearly a star, enough said. Rose looks very likely to make the grade (loved his last NEAFL game, to say nothing of his AFL debut the week before and also the rest of his NEAFL season). I love his marking, I love his instinct for goal and long range roosts. And I think he has a great attitude and physicality as well as good ball use - clearly someone that has grown up playing the game, not just an 'athlete'. You can see it, for example, in the way he uses his body in marking and contested ball situations - he knows what he's doing.

Then we get to the next two. So far, I'm more impressed by Davis than his Hiscox. Obviously both still have a bit of work to do but you'd like to think that, if they're going to make it, they might make their debuts next year. Davis seems to be developing really well, learning his craft, building his tank, building his frame. I reckon he'll make it and of course I hope they all do. Hiscox on the other hand obviously has great speed and running ability, which is really useful defensively and has also helped to score goals, but perhaps he has a fair bit more to learn about footy. I think it is less clear whether he will make it. If he can make it, his exceptional running ability will be an asset and a point of difference.

So overall, as best we can tell at this early stage only one year in, I think we did really well out of last year's draft.

Then (perhaps due to salary cap reasons?) we invested heavily in the rookie draft too - upping our rookies to, I think, the maximum of 6. In order we picked: McLaren, Newman, Melican and Foote. Obviously with rookie draft choices they are more speculative and further off reaching AFL level so it's harder to judge.

So far I've been a little disappointed in McLaren but he is a KPP and they typically take longer to develop. If he works out he will be a handy tall for the back 6 - but if the more obvious prospects (X, AA) continue their development and make the grade then he may turn out to be surplus to requirements (even though he is taller and can ruck). I think with him it's a case of 'wait and see', at least for the next year.

In Newman, as a mature ager, we seem to have nearly a ready-made player. I would expect him to be upgraded over the off season and rate him every chance of a debut next year. He might have played this year except he started injured and so was coming from a way back. Plus I guess he's been learning all the Swans' systems etc. I wonder if there is space for him in the senior side once Rhyce goes given that Jones is kind of earmarked for that spot? His strengths seem to be his ball use and disposal which are assets we need more of so I hope he can get his defence and whatnot up to the grade required to play seniors. Like Rose, he seems to be someone that really grew up playing the game and understands how to play.

Melican is still very young and raw and he has been injured a bit this year so it's really hard to comment but all the mail is that he's a keeper. He's certainly got a big body in that range a bit below KPP size where we don't have so many. Here's hoping he is a hidden gem and a find that we'll be bragging about in 10 years time.

As for Foote, I have no idea whether he'll make the seniors one day given the intense competition he will face but I've really liked what I've seen. Works hard, good attitude, really physical, finds the ball. I guess it'll be his ball use and his consistency that will be important in the longer run.

So those are my thoughts to get the ball rolling but I'd love to hear others' thoughts over the coming days and weeks as the season comes to its conclusion and the players disappear from view ( not counting instagram holiday pics) until the boring, clich� pre-season stories start turning up in early summer.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Newman and McLaren look to have the goods and I expect senior football next year. Rose is exciting and Davis and Hiscox , definitely need more time. Have not seen much of Melican and foote, but if Tom Harley said that Melican is good enough to play senior football, Well enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Newman and McLaren look to have the goods and I expect senior football next year.
    I must confess, I'll be surprised if McLaren plays senior footy next year.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thoughtful post, bloodspirit, and I'd go along with your assessments, based on what I read here and the little I've been able to see of our seconds. I think they are all worth further time on the list and a couple are already getting it.

It is going to be much harder to decide who stays and who goes - but that's another thread.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Agree with most of what you said.Melican has showed flashes of talent when not injured and I think he will fill out to full kpp size.
    Davis will end about the same size as Reg and seems very versatile and a skilled operator.Both are very young.
    Newmarket is a potential upgrade.
    Foote at first I thought was a bit rough around the edges but he seems to have progressed a lot during the year and I am starting to warm to him.
    The 2 worries are Hiscox and McLaren.Both have fallen a bit short of expectations but of the 2 I think McLaren will have more natural improvement in him.

I will be interestwd to see whether any of the toppies get rookied too because some of them have shown a bit.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I will be interestwd to see whether any of the toppies get rookied too because some of them have shown a bit.
    Who do you have in mind (not counting Mills)? Veale? Hebron? Brown?

There won't be any room unless we upgrade or de-list. That said it seems Naismith is being upgraded and I reckon Newman will be too.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    Not Brown. Just u17 player. Thats Jake Brown or is there anyone else named Brown. A beautiful kick on one step and the left foot, non-dominant side, to George Hewett, last week against Aspley, who then kicked the goal.

TMO Foote is good enough to be a solid foot soldier like Bird.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

There won't be any room unless we upgrade or de-list. That said it seems Naismith is being upgraded and I reckon Newman will be too.
    Behagg showed a bit.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

That Heeney bloke looks ok.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

Of the three, based on his Game stats, Veale would be the one to be rookied.
    Consistently beats some listed players on the stats board.

I don't think any of the toppies have been impressive enough to be drafted this year (Mills excluded of course). I would put previously delisted AFL players Michael Hartley and Tom Young (NEAFL MVP winner) well ahead of any of them.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't think any of the toppies have been impressive enough to be drafted this year (Mills excluded of course). I would put previously delisted AFL players Michael Hartley and Tom Young (NEAFL MVP winner) well ahead of any of them.
    Young played one game for us as a toppie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast