Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy (merged thread)

The youth of today is not disfunctional. Electronics have more benefit than harm.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The youth of today is not disfunctional. Electronics have more benefit than harm.
    I said they were dysfunctional. I'm certainly not against electronics, it's just the kind of reality that children are exposed to in the most formative time of their lives. There's plenty of time in life to play computer games, but there are some social skills that are hard to learn after passing a certain age. It's difficult to measure the effect of the virtual realty world that children immerse themselves in these days, but perhaps the explosive growth in the number of children being treated for mental illness could be some indication of where it's heading.

I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children

Our parents said the same about us. Tv was the evil electronic s of the day.

You just proved my point.

John Longmire is reported as saying today that Buddy is out for the season: http://www.sportsfan.com.au/buddy-fr...7/default.aspx.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You just proved my point.
    Exactly right, Ludwig. It's not as if the world is improving, is it? But the progress of technology, the instant acceptance/reliance on it and the consequences of it, good or bad, is impossible to stop.....unfortunately.

Puts to rest any will he or won't he for this season anyway.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Puts to rest any will he or won't he for this season anyway.
    Like it or not, we may have the face the fact that he may never play the game again. SO where does that place us?? We have to wear the his salary for the next eight years and also have the $350,000 trade restrictions placed on us? Gee that seems so fair. Eddie will be laughing his head off ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Like it or not, we may have the face the fact that he may never play the game again. SO where does that place us?? We have to wear the his salary for the next eight years and also have the $350,000 trade restrictions placed on us? Gee that seems so fair. Eddie will be laughing his head off ATM.
    my ambivalence is pretty large. players retire all the time due to injury and the clubs usually work something out. I'd be surprised if that wasnt the case here because frankly it would create one seriously difficult precedent for the rest of the competition to have it dealt with the way which the afl tried to pin things down.

But there is a part of me that thinks so what as well. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

You would have to think that common sense would prevail if Buddy turned his back on the game. If Buddy cannot see out his contract and retires then he should be paid up to that point. If he retires because of his job, then he should compensated accordingly. Same would apply if he was made redundant (although he is not someone on our current list that I would suspect this would apply to).

I make these comments not knowing Bud's illness or circumstances. So I can only make them on what I know. Which is not much. I have always been and always will be a supporter of him. And I sincerely wish Bud all the best in his recovery. But part of ne is conflicted. I often talk about The Bloods culture. And Jude once said �Player empowerment, playing for each other, never saying die, and strong off-field standards are its hallmarks, club culture is critical to success". At Bud's 1st press conference back in October 2013 he said �I�ve heard so much about Bloods culture I can�t wait to be a part of it,� and �At the end of the day I just love playing football, that�s what I do. I�ve come here to do nothing else but win premierships.�. Now I know I'm going to feel the wrath of a lot on this site, but a part of me feels like Bud has let his teammates and the club down. As I said, I don't know anything about his illness. But I keep asking myself what can be so bad that he left his teammates when they needed him most. I feel like he has deserted them. And I wonder if any of them will feel the same. There are players out there playing with injuries and extreme pain. Ask Dan about his ribs. But he is out there fighting with his mates. Never say die. Has Bud truly bought into the Bloods.

I'm sorry but I can't help what I feel. So give it to me.

Without any information it's too difficult to predict what the future holds for Buddy. He certainly must be in a bad space to be ruled out of finals.

There are some interesting issues raised by the revelation that the Swans were unaware of Buddy's mental health issues prior to his signing although these problems existed while he was playing for Hawthorn. I really have no idea about this, but if I were going to sign an athlete to a 9 year $10 million contract I would request a full disclosure of prior and existing health issues. I think the Swans would be terribly remiss if they did not. I think there might be an issue regarding the validity of the contract for failing to disclose prior health records. He must have been under medical care for this during his time at Hawthorn.

I also would be surprised if someone in the Hawthorn management was not aware of Buddy's condition. It is very likely that the club doctor knew. I don't know what the protocols would be in these matters. This may be one reason that Hawthorn didn't make much of an issue about Buddy leaving.

I doubt if much will happen until after the finals or at least until we are out of the finals. I don't blame Buddy personally for not disclosing his problems and I wouldn't have any idea if Liam Pickering knew, and even if he did, you can be sure he wouldn't be the one to say anything. But there are some professional people with knowledge of his health issues who had a responsibility to make his employer aware of the situation.

Right now the attention is on just getting Buddy back to a healthy state of mind, but once the dust settles there's likely to be a lot more to this story to play out.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast