Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Team

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    ... like he used to before he was forced to play on taller opponents.
    This
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    We definitely need more physical intimidation from our midfield...here's hoping Parker and Jones will deliver for that for the best part of the next decade. Heeney seems to have a bit of it in him as well.
    There is a real need for a bit of hostility at times. We saw what's involved the first time we played hawthorn this season, when it appeared that the boys had been told not to put up with any "unsocial" tactics. The one that struck me (so to speak) was when Jordan Lewis tried it on fairly early in the match and was confronted by two or three aroused opponents. From that point on it was clear that we would not be stood over, and I'm sure it was a factor in the win. It needs to be part of our repertoire.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    There is a real need for a bit of hostility at times. We saw what's involved the first time we played hawthorn this season, when it appeared that the boys had been told not to put up with any "unsocial" tactics. The one that struck me (so to speak) was when Jordan Lewis tried it on fairly early in the match and was confronted by two or three aroused opponents. From that point on it was clear that we would not be stood over, and I'm sure it was a factor in the win. It needs to be part of our repertoire.
    Hopefully Sinclair can bring back a bit of mongrel that has been missing since Mummy departed. I think that is why I was hoping TomD would be given more of a chance, he wasn't afraid to play a bit of bash 'n' crash. Both our premiership teams had a ruck that was happy throwing around a little weight, Jason "Canon" Ball and more so Mummy.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I've just watched the 1.20 minute highlight reel of Talia on the Swans site. He kicked a few goals, and took comfortable marks, but would be well behind Laids on that limited showing.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Funny you should mention that game! I just watched the last quarter and a half on Fox Footy's 'cliff-hangers'.

That was definitely the most aggressive we've been in recent memory...needs to be a benchmark as opposed to an anomaly! Other points:

- Reid was really good, he definitely has the potential to be one our key players in 2016 and with a bit of confidence I've got no doubt he will be.

- Lloyd was also great, super clean below his knees, disposal was efficient and never stopped running his backside off.

- We desperately need Parker and McGlynn fit and in form...two of our toughest, most hard at it players.

- If we don't use him in the backline, McVeigh could be a great permanent small forward. Natural goal-kicker and really strong in one on one contests.

- We're going to miss Goodesy and Jets =(

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I've just watched the 1.20 minute highlight reel of Talia on the Swans site. He kicked a few goals, and took comfortable marks, but would be well behind Laids on that limited showing.
    Agreed that it was an ordinary looking 'highlights reel' but he's a vastly different player than Laids. Plays a lot taller, definitely a lot faster and finds a fair bit more of the footy. Statistically, he had some pretty awesome games for the dogs this year. Probably needs to bulk up a little bit to compete with the big gorilla forwards but he's only 22 so that will come with time.

I know Ugg isn't his biggest fan, but I'm really bullish about Talia...as long as he comes with the right attitude (which has been questioned for obvious reasons) I've got no doubt we can turn him into a solid, 10 year KPD.

Agreed that it was an ordinary looking 'highlights reel' but he's a vastly different player than Laids. Plays a lot taller, definitely a lot faster and finds a fair bit more of the footy. Statistically, he had some pretty awesome games for the dogs this year. Probably needs to bulk up a little bit to compete with the big gorilla forwards but he's only 22 so that will come with time.

I know Ugg isn't his biggest fan, but I'm really bullish about Talia...as long as he comes with the right attitude (which has been questioned for obvious reasons) I've got no doubt we can turn him into a solid, 10 year KPD.
    My doggies supporting fans thought he was pretty good for them and were bemused over the leak allegations. I'm positive.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    At this point in time Rohan seems more needed off halfback to add some dash on the rebound. I think Heeney will stay in the forward line for a few years as Hewett, Jones, Mills and Dunkley are more natural inside players and don't offer what Heeney does on the outside. We have lots of players contending for small/mid size forward roles including Towers, Rose, Hiscox, BJ and the veteran McGlynn, and none of them are natural backline players. Our best hope for adding some halfback dash besides Rohan is Nic Newman. Harry Marsh, if retained (and I hope he is), does have the pace and penetrating kick to fill the role, but so far has been working more on the defensive side of his game. And we have to wait and see about the Irishman O'Riordan.

There are some other possibilities for the backline. Macca has played well there before, but wasn't that good last season and doesn't exactly provide much pace; Jones is quick enough, but not in the class of Rohan; Mills played halfback for a while in the reserves and looked okay, but I think Mills will look fine just about anywhere on the ground.

Towers may be the key to it all. If he can keep improving and hold down a forward spot, then it frees up Rohan to play elsewhere. If not, we may need Gazza up forward.
    Yes, Towers is interesting. Earlier in the season, he was probably the only one of our players that I had bagged on this forum, but towards the end of the season, I was thinking that I may have been a bit premature. Hopefully he can keep on improving: maybe it's the old thing of a player getting enough games to feel that they belong and then that extra confidence giving them a lift in performance.
    And maybe it's a bit that way with Rohan, as he never quite seems to play enough games without being injured, to truly establish himself in the side. It would be nice if next year is an injury free year for him. Then I do think that he would develop into a genuinely elite player. Especially if he is given a chance to play the same position week after week: preferably half back flank. I mean, if he really got going, his dash would probably start to remind me of Kennelly at his peak. With a touch of Leaping Leo harem scarem thrown in. He is also excellent at run down tackling pressure. While his pace also means that he can spoil forwards, when they weren't expecting to be spoilt. All up, something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    My doggies supporting fans thought he was pretty good for them and were bemused over the leak allegations. I'm positive.
    Yes, I also like the Talia trade: especially with Ted and Reg reaching the stage of their careers, where their speed may start to slip and injuries might take a little bit longer to heel.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, I also like the Talia trade: especially with Ted and Reg reaching the stage of their careers, where their speed may start to slip and injuries might take a little bit longer to heel.
    Yes, time wounds all heels!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Yes, time wounds all heels!
    Sit!

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Sit!
    You've gone barking mad!