Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vacant numbers

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Number 14 should be rotated and given to the player who wins the best and fairest the previous year.
    A fine sentiment but impractical. As for Goodesy's number, it should be reserved for the next great indigenous talent we recruit. A fitting tribute to his legacy, and how stoked would the recipient be! Would probably end up a better player with that history on his back. I also agree with Cartman that No.14 should go to our next captain, Luke Parker. He epitomises Skilts 'never say die' attitude, talent and love for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Yup I found it sad that despite the auspicious careers of Steve Hedley & Craig Davis in the number 60, no player has been deemed worthy to wear it at the senior level since. Abe Davis wore it for us in the NEAFL, I think.
    It has been worn by a number of players in the last few years in the NEAFL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    I would be surprised if Talia wanted his old number of 32. His move from the Dogs was not all that happy. If it was me I would pick anything else but 32.
    The website already has him as 32

2, 14, 32, 37, 38 are vacant but so are 18 and 30. 28 looks vacant but is taken by rookie Nic Newman. Who was 30? (after LRT). McLaren?
    Talia is listed as 32 in both list and head shot format on official site....whilst Sinclair is numberless at end of list, so.....that sounds official
    IMHO 14 should always go to tough, promising NSW player. I was more than happy when Bevo got it and then Birdy. Seeing as those 2 have worn it since Kelly, Schwass and Skilton, I don't see it as any particularly strong pressure on a newbie. So Mills it is as far as I'm concerned.
    38 is a good ruckman's number, I reckon. This is not rational....I just reckon.
    37 should be retired permanently. And the next time we have a dual Brownlow, 372 game 4 time All Australian we can retire his jumper too. Won't be any time soon, I'm guessing, and there are plenty of numbers left to choose from.
    I really hated Richmond's number 17 idea and think we should avoid anything similar. My reasoning is that I really dislike players changing numbers mid career...from rookie 46 to 13 is OK when promoted to senior list. In fact I think that more players should do that...Jake Lloyd I'm looking at you - but not from 9 to 17 when you are a 150 game player (or 26 to 14 for that matter!)
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    .... My reasoning is that I really dislike players changing numbers mid career...from rookie 46 to 13 is OK when promoted to senior list. In fact I think that more players should do that...Jake Lloyd I'm looking at you - but not from 9 to 17 when you are a 150 game player (or 26 to 14 for that matter!)
    Gotta agree with you here Sharp. Change when promoted (or a club legend suggests you take their number on retirement Bolton -> Rampe) but otherwise, stick with your number throughout your footy years.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veteran Site Admin
    Don't think either Bevo or Schwatta ever wore number 14, not for the Swans, anyway. Bevo wore 42 throughout his time, while Schwass wore no 2.

In terms of Goodes' number, I can see the argument for retiring it in the sense that it hardly sets a tradition that will lead the club to run out of numbers. But equally well, I wouldn't mind Goodes inviting someone like Abe Davis to take it on. Davis, not surprisingly, grew up with Goodes as his favourite player, and just as Heeney was able to take on the vacant no 5 of his idol O'Keefe, I think it would be good to see Davis take Goodes' number. No one will expect him to emulate Goodes, just because he wears the same number.

Just guessing but:

Sinclair was #22 at the Eagles, so maybe he'll just lop off one of the 2s.
    Mills sounds the right kind of player to take on the famous #14.

Agree with liz about Abe Davis taking 37, although the shoes to fill are awfully big. I don't agree with retiring a number. Seeing Goodsies' #37 out on the ground will keep his memory alive and will be an ongoing reminder of his greatness. You can hear the commentators saying:"Abe Davis with the ball, wearing the famous number 37 worn by the Swans' game record holder, 2 time Brownlow Medal winner Adam Goodes."

I wonder why players haven't gone for unusual numbers. Several years ago, when the NBA has a surge in popularity among younger kids here, if have though that Dennis Rodman wearing 91 for the Bulls or one of the guys (eg Les Parish) wearing 00, might have inspired players to request these unusual numbers.

During my very brief footy "career" with Uni Blacks when I was studying, I was offered a number in the 70s when I started (most numbers were already taken). I thought "70s?! I might as well get a memorable number"

I asked what the highest number I could have.

The team manager looked at me, had a quick peek at his list, & told me 272. "I'll take it!"

Wore it with distinction (insert sarcastic emoticon here - though I did get best 1st year player in the first game, & have half a dozen touches in less than a quarter in the second game before requiring my first ACL recon). Hmmm ... since then I've considered #272 just plain bad luck & don't use it for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Number 14 should be rotated and given to the player who wins the best and fairest the previous year.
    No I really think that if Bird hadn't already been in the number 14 then Harry Cunningham would have been awarded it. Harry had Paul Kelly as his coach in Wagga. He has been a project of Kelly for a while after the great man recognised his talent. The other thing is Kell's son, Jackson, might yet get drafted next year. Jack was pretty good for a young 17 yo who was vastly underweight in the NEAFL in 2014. He looked to have filled out a bit this year and next year if he comes on he will probably nominate for the draft. He also has one more son I believe.

But as I say Kell's protege, Harry would be a walk up for his number.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Don't think either Bevo or Schwatta ever wore number 14, not for the Swans, anyway. Bevo wore 42 throughout his time, while Schwass wore no 2.

In terms of Goodes' number, I can see the argument for retiring it in the sense that it hardly sets a tradition that will lead the club to run out of numbers. But equally well, I wouldn't mind Goodes inviting someone like Abe Davis to take it on. Davis, not surprisingly, grew up with Goodes as his favourite player, and just as Heeney was able to take on the vacant no 5 of his idol O'Keefe, I think it would be good to see Davis take Goodes' number. No one will expect him to emulate Goodes, just because he wears the same number.
    i agree Liz and it would mean the number stays with an Indigenous player. I also think Abaina has the talent to make it at AFL level and reminds me of the young Goodes. Not that I am expecting him to be as good as the great one but if he is half as good we will have a talent.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    During my very brief footy "career" with Uni Blacks when I was studying, I was offered a number in the 70s when I started (most numbers were already taken). I thought "70s?! I might as well get a memorable number"

I asked what the highest number I could have.

The team manager looked at me, had a quick peek at his list, & told me 272. "I'll take it!"

Wore it with distinction (insert sarcastic emoticon here - though I did get best 1st year player in the first game, & have half a dozen touches in less than a quarter in the second game before requiring my first ACL recon). Hmmm ... since then I've considered #272 just plain bad luck & don't use it for anything!
    Though of course, you are probably the best 272 to ever play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Though of course, you are probably the best 272 to ever play the game.
    I've never considered that! Even if it was sarcastic, I'll take it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast