Thread: 2006 Premininary Final

2006 Premininary Final

Just watched the 2006 Prelim Final Vs Dockers and a couple of things that are different from then to now.

- Attendance was 61,000+ as opposed to the numbers that the last few finals in Sydney have drawn.
    - Swans kicked 19 goals which is rare now.
    - The forward line usually had 1 on 1 and not the 'team defence' that is prevalent nowadays.
    - Swans kicked to whoever was in the forward line and not always on top of the power forward's head.

Overall a very enjoyable watch.

Veterans List
    Fox Sports had the 2003 preliminary final on the other day and there were over 73,000. I came up for the game and the atmosphere was amazing...(the result not so good!) Can't believe we got that many for a Brisbane game. A shame we can't get those crowds anymore.

Today on Fox Sports was a treat for swans fans. 2005 semi, prelim, and GF ????. I still get goosebumps when seeing Leo Barry's mark.

I think they are showing 2006 finals now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Fox Sports had the 2003 preliminary final on the other day and there were over 73,000. I came up for the game and the atmosphere was amazing...(the result not so good!) Can't believe we got that many for a Brisbane game. A shame we can't get those crowds anymore.

Today on Fox Sports was a treat for swans fans. 2005 semi, prelim, and GF ????. I still get goosebumps when seeing Leo Barry's mark.

I think they are showing 2006 finals now.
    To be honest I think that the drop off is purely and simply down to the venue being absolutely rubbish (cue barry...c'mon dude give it your worst ) and that for most casual fans, and many hardcores too, the trek out to concrete land is really not worth it. It is partly the venue and partly the location and poor transport links

We'll sell out the SCG for these events going forward and the whole light rail redevelopment, when completed in 2019, will result in a world class precinct for our home ground.

There is no way that a drop off in numbers of that magnitude is to do with the venue. I think that simplifies the discussion as to why it has happened way below where it should be. 73000 didn't have a problem with the game being played at Olympic Park in 2006, why should that make a different now?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I'd blame the price of the tickets before the venue.
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks