Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 5 Swans wins from the modern era

Best 5 Swans wins from the modern era

Today's a draft of your epitaph

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    My Dad started taking me to Swans games in 1961 and there are many wins that have stayed in the memory. A come from behind win against Collingwood at the Lake Oval in 1970 has a very, very special place in my heart!

Presuming we leave out the Premierships though, I've always thought our win in the 2003 Qualifying Final against Port Adelaide was our greatest victory. No-one gave us a hope in hell and we'd lost Mickey O to injury the week before. A magnificent win!

Veterans List
    Finals qualify for all five because they actually mean something against the best just as desperate opposition, mostly no next week in these games.

Both GF wins just because we were underdogs and because they resulted in the cup.

The QF/SF win in 2003 against Port in Adelaide when we were severely understrength against the flag favourites.

1996 Prelim for the bloody obvious reason that two years before we won one game and now we were in the GF.

2006 QF against the "well fuelled" WCE in Perth.

This was purely H&A victories.

R13 1996 against Carlton at Princes Park should be in there somewhere.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    This was purely H&A victories.

R13 1996 against Carlton at Princes Park should be in there somewhere.
    There were many magical games from 1996. I suspect part of it was that Swans fans weren't used to following a successful team, and hence every great victory seemed special. But yes, that Carlton game stands out, even amongst the many other memorable wins that year.

Another favourite of mine was the 1998 game against Port at the SCG. Kelly did his knee in the first half, and the team looked on the ropes. But they lifted, and Plugger, in particular had an outstanding second half. He kicked 12 goals for the game and, from memory, nine came in the second half. A couple were monster kicks that even Buddy would have been impressed with.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    My Dad started taking me to Swans games in 1961 and there are many wins that have stayed in the memory. A come from behind win against Collingwood at the Lake Oval in 1970 has a very, very special place in my heart!

Presuming we leave out the Premierships though, I've always thought our win in the 2003 Qualifying Final against Port Adelaide was our greatest victory. No-one gave us a hope in hell and we'd lost Mickey O to injury the week before. A magnificent win!
    I was there at the 1970 win over Collingwood .We were 19 points down with three and a half minutes to go. The ground was packed to beyond its capacity. The atmosphere was electric because the Swans knew they were a chance against a then dominant Collingwood.

Norm Smith had made the players believe in themselves.

As I recall it Stevey Hoffman put us in front by 1 point. The victory was made all the more sweet because Collingwood had just kicked the ball which was marked by Peter McKenna in front of goal but the siren had sounded when the ball was in mid air and the mark was disallowed. A delicious game!
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I was there at the 1970 win over Collingwood .We were 19 points down with three and a half minutes to go. The ground was packed to beyond its capacity. The atmosphere was electric because the Swans knew they were a chance against a then dominant Collingwood.

As I recall it Stevey Hoffman put us in front by 1 point. The victory was made all the more sweet because Collingwood had just kicked the ball which was marked by Peter McKenna in front of goal but the siren had sounded when the ball was in mid air and the mark was disallowed. A delicious game!
    So great to share a wonderful memory with another RWOer.
    In those days, spectators were allowed to jump the fence before the end of the game, ready to run onto the ground at the final siren. I had jumped the fence with a few minutes to go, disappointed to have lost but happy with an honourable defeat against the flag favourites. Couldn't believe at as we kicked the last few goals to just pip the Pies. Yes, it was definitely Stevie Hoffman who kicked the last goal and yes, Peter McKenna took a mark a split second after the siren went. My memory is that, in frustration, he threw the ball on his boot and it sailed right through the middle!

[QUOTE=707;688701]
    The QF/SF win in 2003 against Port in Adelaide when we were severely understrength against the flag favourites.

This game is being replayed this week (Thurs or Fri?) on Fox Footy's 'Guest Programmer - Barry Hall'. I will be recording it as it is one that I do not have on DVD.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    2012 in Tassie against the Hawks...to come from 5ish goals down to win by plenty against the best team at a place they simply don't lose is pretty special. The team took a heap of belief out of that and I'm not sure we would have won the flag without it...from memory a bloke running around in #37 had an absolute blinder as well!
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    2012 in Tassie against the Hawks...to come from 5ish goals down to win by plenty against the best team at a place they simply don't lose is pretty special. The team took a heap of belief out of that and I'm not sure we would have won the flag without it...from memory a bloke running around in #37 had an absolute blinder as well!
    That's a good call. I was at that game too, and it was my birthday. Sweet as!

I should have noted when I posted the link that it was H&A games only. Thanks for pointing that out Plugger46.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    The win at Simmonds stadium under tragic circumstances to break the cats 29 (?) game winning streak there also warrants a mention...one of the more emotional wins you'll see.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Pushing for Selection poundpuppy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post

I was there too! I was quite young and Dad took me to the games but it was our first at Victoria Park and not knowing any better we stood on the infamous hill. I did wonder why I was the only one wearing red and white and I think it was only my young age that enabled us both to make it out alive after Stevie got us over the line!
    Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
    And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!

www.paws.com.au

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast