Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Goodesy Again

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    My answer to that question:
    Australians never felt that Ali questioned them he only questioned American society (which isn't true)
    I believe the passing of time has a lot to do with it.

Many of those most critical of (and virulent towards) tried to contrast the response to him with that towards Winmar and Long, trying to argue that these two were noble crusaders for the cause but Goodes was just an attention seeking whatever. This conveniently ignores the fact that the responses at the time to the famous Winmar and Long incidents were far from uniform at the time. Both copped their share of condemnation from those who argued they were over-reacting. I have read comments from Long about how he received death threats after challenging Monkhurst's vilification.

Now, with the passage of time, the almost universal attitude towards these two is very positive. I expect Goodes' actions will be seen in a similar light in ten, fifteen or twenty years time. (And yes, it is very sad that we may need to wait that long.)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I believe the passing of time has a lot to do with it.

Many of those most critical of (and virulent towards) tried to contrast the response to him with that towards Winmar and Long, trying to argue that these two were noble crusaders for the cause but Goodes was just an attention seeking whatever. This conveniently ignores the fact that the responses at the time to the famous Winmar and Long incidents were far from uniform at the time. Both copped their share of condemnation from those who argued they were over-reacting. I have read comments from Long about how he received death threats after challenging Monkhurst's vilification.

Now, with the passage of time, the almost universal attitude towards these two is very positive. I expect Goodes' actions will be seen in a similar light in ten, fifteen or twenty years time. (And yes, it is very sad that we may need to wait that long.)
    Ignorance @@@@s me.
    Why should he have to wait 20 years to have the glory he so deserves?
    Australia is a funny place.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    @@@@s me too but I don't think it is peculiar to Australia or even to specific kinds of event. Time has a habit of changing people's perspectives on lots of things.

My daughter had a wonderful experience recently. She took some children into DJ's where Adam was attending a book launch. The children were sitting down in front of him while he read a childrens book. In some ways it was so ordinary (in a nice way) but so special for me as I admire everything thing he has done on and off the field.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789