There are several changes in rules, or adjudication of rules, for the coming season. I am wondering what effect we expect them to have in general and specifically on the Swans. And also I�d be grateful for clarification of what the last change I�ve listed below actually means.

1. Abolition of the substitute position, a return to four interchange players and a reduction in interchange rotations from 120 to 90.
� In announcing this change the AFL said it was expected it would see an average reduction in game time per player per game of five minutes. However I assume the average time per player spent on the field per rotation will be longer (as will be the average time spent on the bench between each rotation). Hence the need to be able to maintain skill levels while more exhausted. Is that what others expect?

2. A stricter adjudication on what is acceptable in tackling, with the Match Review Panel to enforce a stricter definition of dangerous high tackles that cause forceful high contact.
� I assume this would mean the type of tackle that led to Ted Richards being concussed last year would be penalised by the MRP.

3. A stricter application of the deliberate out-on-the-full rule.
� This one has me worried � umpires� calls on these have often seemed to me to be arbitrary as it was � just how do you read intent when a player kicks over the heads of players to an open space near the boundary line? Remember the free kick against Ted Richards in the 2012 grand final? Equally however there was a match in the H&A, I think last year, when Ted walked backwards over the boundary line between the goal posts when under pressure whilst in possession of the ball � I assume that would now cost us a free kick which is probably reasonable.

4. An increase in the size of the protected area around the mark with a trial on the potential new distance during the 2016 NAB Challenge to determine whether the new distance during the season will be 8 or 10 metres. Players manning the mark to be able to move laterally only. Umpires also to strictly monitor the handover of who is guarding the mark.
� I�m a bit confused by this one. I think the current rule is a protected area of 5 metres. An increase to 10 (or even to 8 which I think is what they are trialing in the NAB) is a big increase. Does this mean in effect that no player can enter an 8 (or 10) metre square box either side of and in front of the mark? That is a large no-go zone which would be very easy to breach without deliberate intent, and with a potential, very large 50-metre free kick penalty for getting it wrong.
� Will this give Buddy added protection as he swings out on his left arc to kick for goal?
� And what does it mean for a kick for goal taken from right on the boundary line where a player wants to side step? And where a line of opposition players line up to try to crowd the kicker. Will the opposition line now have to be 8 (or 10) metres away? It would certainly help the kicker if that were to be the case.

I�d be grateful for anyone�s clarification/interpretation/views on any or all of the above.